SOS: QB not all to blame for UF, LSU struggles

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“When you’ve got good players all around, you’ve got a good system and these guys are well-coached and practice extremely well, then you’ll have success on the field. Everybody is different. Coaching is different. A lot of people think the players decide the game, but really the plan and the way they are coached on the practice field is extremely important.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/steve-spurrier-florida-lsu-offensive-struggles

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“Oh, I don’t exactly know all that’s happening out there,” Spurrier said in response to a question about quarterback struggles at LSU in recent seasons. “Florida has said the same thing for three years here. It seems like when then offense isn’t very good, they blame it on the quarterback. I used to always think maybe the quarterback is as good as the guys around him, and whoever is coaching him, and the ball plays and this that and the other. It all goes together.”

No, only the dumbasses do.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
“Oh, I don’t exactly know all that’s happening out there,” Spurrier said in response to a question about quarterback struggles at LSU in recent seasons. “Florida has said the same thing for three years here. It seems like when then offense isn’t very good, they blame it on the quarterback. I used to always think maybe the quarterback is as good as the guys around him, and whoever is coaching him, and the ball plays and this that and the other. It all goes together.”

So, the majority of GC?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Everybody, worship the donk....the deity of football...the only correct source...the one without flaws...nobody else has such wisdom.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

So now we know why Spurrier was underutilized by Mac. He wanted nothing to do with the stench.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting link in the middle of the story to SEC teams who passed on Spurrier earlier in his career.

1986 Mississippi State opted for assistant coach Rocky Felkner, who was never heard of again.

Same year LSU promoted DC Mike Archer.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I listened to a show on the radio where former players talked about watching practice and they would run a play a few times and totally screw it up, and then move on to a new play, and then watching the game on Saturday they run the play anyway and totally screw it up.

There's no helping that incompetence and I'm sure Spurrier knew it.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
“When you’ve got good players all around, you’ve got a good system and these guys are well-coached and practice extremely well, then you’ll have success on the field. Everybody is different. Coaching is different. A lot of people think the players decide the game, but really the plan and the way they are coached on the practice field is extremely important.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/steve-spurrier-florida-lsu-offensive-struggles

^ This. I’ve said for years that a great CFB coach can impact the game so much, more so than in the pros. Give a great coach good, but not elite, talent and you’ll win big. Give a average or below coach great talent and you’re not winning squat. Look no further than SOS teams in the 90s when UGA, Ray Goof and Jim Donnan (throw Richt in the 2000s in that group, too) had better recruiting classes but got their butts kicked almost every year against us.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel and Franks surely were a huge part of our joke offenses but 2012 showed you can have a totally inept QB and still have a pretty good season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody, worship the donk....the deity of football...the only correct source...the one without flaws...nobody else has such wisdom.

== the gator ceremoanial fixture head, the 4-legged smack-animal fleas, flies & flaws won't get near.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Driskel and Franks surely were a huge part of our joke offenses but 2012 showed you can have a totally inept QB and still have a pretty good season.

Maybe but who wants to watch another year of boring ass offense that manages to get lucky enough to win games? Im sure nobody does.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Beating a bunch of hacks by 2-6 points then failing to score an offensive touchdown versus a terrible ugly then getting blown out by a midmajor in a nothingburger bowl isn't a pretty good season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sirius question:

Which guy would you rather start fresh with right now, Mullen or Muschamp?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sirius question:

Which guy would you rather start fresh with right now, Mullen or Muschamp?
Neither. Id start fresh with an AD that wouldnt consider anyone like those two.

Muschump would love to have a guy like Mullinz as OC btw. Or vice versa.

It would be so nice not to be starting the second lost decade before we hire an elite coach, not that an elite coach would want to be near this loser azz penny pinching program anymore.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp may be stubborn, but he's no dummy. I wouldn't yet bet against him becoming a decent head coach. The man can recruit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp may be stubborn, but he's no dummy. I wouldn't yet bet against him becoming a decent head coach. The man can recruit.
:bwahaha:

Yeah, as soon as the change the rules so TOP wins games.

He can recruits CBs and undersized DEs and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.