SOS: QB not all to blame for UF, LSU struggles

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meh, 2018 will be one prolonged scrimmage. We should petition the SEC to not track the score in our games.
Didn't have to be like that. Had mullen taken burrow, we would have been competitive. Not great but not terrible like we'll see next year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier kept going back and forth between Slinger and GQ. I'm not even sure he knew who was better, but I do know he looked frustrated.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier kept going back and forth between Slinger and GQ. I'm not even sure he knew who was better, but I do know he looked frustrated.
We’d kill for either of them now.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
At the risk of provoking the Donkey...

I heard Doug Johnson give an interesting take on the Franks-Trask choice. He said something to the effect that he’d rather try the guy with no experience who looks as good as the guy with a season of college and several HS seasons than the guy with all the experience who cannot clearly beat out the guy with no experience. (Not just the O&B game. He saw many practices.)

I’m not sure he’s right but it was interesting.

And I’m leery of advice from Doug who, frankly, didn’t live up to his potential at UF. Then he went to the Falcons and started working at it.

He has a point, with that experience he should be able to pull ahead. I want an offense that takes advantage of those things we can do well, not something that the coach desires.

I seem to remember a coach who just ran plays over and over until they could do them correctly. No exercising, running stairs, etc.

He won a lot of games. Never run plays in the games you can't run properly in practice.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I often leave my computer and do things, like work, or shop, or mess around in the yard or garage, etc. When I get back on, there's something that's always the same, no matter what time of day or what day of the week it is:

Swamp Donkey has made dozens of posts.

Whether it's Monday morning, Thursday night, Saturday or Sunday, the offseason, holidays, whenever it is, he's always there. I'm starting to think he just sits in one place all day, seven days a week looking at a computer or phone on Gatorchatter.

Does he ever work? Go out to dinner with his wife? Work in his yard? Does he take his phone into the shower with him so he can post? I've wondered these things many times over the years. If you want an instant opinion on how much something sucks, just make a post and he'll respond within 45 seconds, even if you make it at 3 o'clock in the morning. You see, I don't think he sleeps, either - he's afraid he might miss something.

Donkey, we all love you. But it may be time for an intervention.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I seem to remember a coach who just ran plays over and over until they could do them correctly. No exercising, running stairs, etc.

He won a lot of games. Never run plays in the games you can't run properly in practice.

Seems kind of fundamental to me. Isn't that why they call it "practice"?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lately I've got a touch of that same plague. Damn notifications.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier is very correct in his assessment that is is not all a QB issue.

We had systemic issues across the offense under MooseDump and Butters. MooseDump did not recruit on offense as he wanted to win every game 3 - 0 on the last play of the game. Poor offensive recruiting coupled with piss poor offensive coaching left a huge gap after 4 years...

Then, Butters came on board and had slightly better offensive recruiting with equally as bad or, worse offensive coaching. Mullen inherited an offense with mediocre at best QB's and a terrible OL. Mullen better figure out how to upgrade the OL immediately or, we are in for more offensive misery.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Interesting link in the middle of the story to SEC teams who passed on Spurrier earlier in his career.

1986 Mississippi State opted for assistant coach Rocky Felkner, who was never heard of again.

Same year LSU promoted DC Mike Archer.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Ehhh...in the end did those schools really miss out? Spurrier would have left them for Florida as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I guess they could have had a good year or two but it isn't like he was sticking around for a decade.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Palmer was better. Doug threw about half his passes into the dirt.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I hate the term can't-miss. There is no such thing with a young up-and-comer of a coach.

Meyer wasn't can't-miss but he probably had earned likely-can't-fail status. He had done it multiple places. He had a tremendous resume. The Patton lite football personality screamed leader. Right Stuff guy.

I was very dialed in. I don't recall a single member of the state or national media questioning the intelligence of us wanting him. Notre Dame salivating made him all the more desirable.

That’s why I referenced the “not in the know” message board posters. How people were concerned about his hiring is a mystery. The guy had 2 successful HC stints. Compare that to a guy like Muschamp who had no HC experience yet people were salivating over him when he was hired and all I can do is shake my head.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lately I've got a touch of that same plague. Damn notifications.
Shhhh.... he has an iphone. His phone is probably always dead.

Wait til he hears about talk to type.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shhhh.... he has an iphone. His phone is probably always dead.

Wait til he hears about talk to type.
I thumb almost all of my posts on my phone. How crazy is that? I always voice text messages. They end up needing a Chinese translator.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Palmer was better. Doug threw about half his passes into the dirt.
I remember Johnson having an issue with that, as if he was struggling to adjust to the curve of the field.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thumb almost all of my posts on my phone. How crazy is that? I always voice text messages. They end up needing a Chinese translator.
Mine are screwed up either way.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I often leave my computer and do things, like work, or shop, or mess around in the yard or garage, etc. When I get back on, there's something that's always the same, no matter what time of day or what day of the week it is:

Swamp Donkey has made dozens of posts.

Whether it's Monday morning, Thursday night, Saturday or Sunday, the offseason, holidays, whenever it is, he's always there. I'm starting to think he just sits in one place all day, seven days a week looking at a computer or phone on Gatorchatter.

Does he ever work? Go out to dinner with his wife? Work in his yard? Does he take his phone into the shower with him so he can post? I've wondered these things many times over the years. If you want an instant opinion on how much something sucks, just make a post and he'll respond within 45 seconds, even if you make it at 3 o'clock in the morning. You see, I don't think he sleeps, either - he's afraid he might miss something.

Donkey, we all love you. But it may be time for an intervention.

For a while I figured he was a quadriplegic sitting in his chair and typing with his eyes and by blowing in a straw. I thought he might Stephen Hawking, but since Sparkles is still posting, it’s not him. The first part could still be true though.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Raise your hand if you gave the Slinger the finger.

Well, yeah. And now he parades around with media support like he’s a Gator Great. BS. He could have and should have, but by his own admission he goofed off most of his college career. His foray into baseball overworked his arm and distracted him - fat and happy with a $400k signing bonus.

He did throw THE pass to Quezzie in 1997 but otherwise a forgettable career. Ruined much of SOS’s last 5 years at UF. What a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.