SOS: QB not all to blame for UF, LSU struggles

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Muschamp - 7 years as a head coach and going on his 4th offensive coordinator? I see a pattern, but I could be wrong...
He’s the new Tommy Tuberville. Sacrifice an assistant anytime the seat gets warm. Covers for inadequacies in general philosophy.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
2009 offense was pretty bad compared to 07 and 08 when you just took the SEC games into consideration. In 09 they really padded the stats like crazy against the mediocre competition. We stalled a lot in the red zone against the good teams that year.
I know the donk hates this but take a look at advanced stats. It adjusts for opponents, garbage time stats, etc. He doesn’t like them because it paints a less extreme negative picture, even if it’s correct.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know the donk hates this but take a look at advanced stats. It adjusts for opponents, garbage time stats, etc. He doesn’t like them because it paints a less extreme negative picture, even if it’s correct.
Where is this super secret "Advanced Stats page" only you know about?

I'm fairly confident any "Advanced Stats" that correct for us scoring 80 points versus directional schools and struggling to score at all vs SEC won't pain a flattering picture.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
2009 offense was pretty bad compared to 07 and 08 when you just took the SEC games into consideration. In 09 they really padded the stats like crazy against the mediocre competition. We stalled a lot in the red zone against the good teams that year.

I'll give you this, Fever. You were one of the few that had that concern nailed pretty well way back then. I'd been keeping an eye on this thread waiting for you to pop in with that. Pretty sure Ox threatened to ban you for repeating it over and over. :lol:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Where is this super secret "Advanced Stats page" only you know about?

I'm fairly confident any "Advanced Stats" that correct for us scoring 80 points versus directional schools and struggling to score at all vs SEC won't pain a flattering picture.
Posted these for you before but these are the advanced stats (football outsiders) for Mullen coached offenses:

2017-39
2016-37
2015-23
2014-28
2013-38
2012-60
2011-73
2010-52
2009-64
2008-2
2007-1

Shows that given time, Mullen will consistently produce top-40 offenses with mediocre talent and has the ability to produce elite offenses with top talent. He’ll definitely get mediocre talent here. Question is “can he recruit elite talent?” That’s to be seen. Either way, it’s highly likely that he’ll produce top 40+ offenses here at worst once his system is in place.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I got no problem with TOP philosophy as long as MOST possessions end in a TD and the occasional “missed opportunity” is when we settle for a FG.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Donk, just for you buddy, I compiled the Gators stats from the same site:

2017-96
2016-100
2015-58
2014-105
2013-101
2012-73
2011-66
2010-73
2009-3
2008-2
2007-1

2015 probably has a lot to do with the first half of the season but everything else seems to support the general narrative: Florida’s offense has generally sucked since Tebow left. For reference, here’s how the above rankings are compiled:

“FEI is a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Approximately 20,000 possessions are contested annually in FBS vs. FBS games. First-half clock-kills and end-of-game garbage drives and scores are filtered out. Offensive Efficiency (OE) is the value generated by a team's offense per non-garbage possession relative to national average scoring rates by starting field position. OFEI is value generated per possession adjusted for the strength of opponent defenses faced.

Available Yards Percentage (OAY) is the total number of yards earned by the offense divided by the number of yards available to be earned based on starting field position. Value Drive Rate (OVD) is the percentage of offensive drives that begin at least 50 yards from the end zone and reach the opponent's 30-yard line. First Down Rate (OFD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down. Touchdown Rate (OTD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown. Touchdown Rate After First Down (OTF) is the percentage touchdowns scored on offensive drives that earn at least one first down. Turnover Rate (OTO) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a fumble or interception.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Posted these for you before but these are the advanced stats (football outsiders) for Mullen coached offenses:.
Advanced stat what?

Total offense?

Third down efficiency?

Explosives?

Red zone scoring? Red zone td?

And give me a link.

Dont just pull your "trust me... it is advanced" bullshyt and start listing a number.

Give me a link to the site.

No offense but if its some goofy ass sagarin stuff, no one cares. Even if it's "advanced".

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Advanced stat what?

Total offense?

Third down efficiency?

Explosives?

Red zone scoring? Red zone td?

And give me a link.

Dont just pull your "trust me... it is advanced" bullshyt and start listing a number.

Give me a link to the site.

No offense but if its some goofy ass sagarin stuff, no one cares. Even if it's "advanced".
I did post where I got it from. Football Outsiders and the FEI Offense rating. I even posted the description in the second reply where I showed UFs performance and how it generally supports your Florida argument - just not your Mullen argument.

Here’s the link in case googling is too challenging:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think we give Mullen too much credit for our offense back then. Like Meyer was just a bag of bones on the sideline(his last season not withstanding). It's like Myer would've never won a thing here without Mullen. It's comical.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Donk, just for you buddy, I compiled the Gators stats from the same site:

2017-96
2016-100
2015-58
2014-105
2013-101
2012-73
2011-66
2010-73
2009-3
2008-2
2007-1

2015 probably has a lot to do with the first half of the season but everything else seems to support the general narrative: Florida’s offense has generally sucked since Tebow left. For reference, here’s how the above rankings are compiled:

“FEI is a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Approximately 20,000 possessions are contested annually in FBS vs. FBS games. First-half clock-kills and end-of-game garbage drives and scores are filtered out. Offensive Efficiency (OE) is the value generated by a team's offense per non-garbage possession relative to national average scoring rates by starting field position. OFEI is value generated per possession adjusted for the strength of opponent defenses faced.

Available Yards Percentage (OAY) is the total number of yards earned by the offense divided by the number of yards available to be earned based on starting field position. Value Drive Rate (OVD) is the percentage of offensive drives that begin at least 50 yards from the end zone and reach the opponent's 30-yard line. First Down Rate (OFD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down. Touchdown Rate (OTD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown. Touchdown Rate After First Down (OTF) is the percentage touchdowns scored on offensive drives that earn at least one first down. Turnover Rate (OTO) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a fumble or interception.”

I don't want to get banned :D but the 09 stat is misleading as hell as far as facing tough competition goes. Not even comparable to 07 and 08.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don't want to get banned :D but the 09 stat is misleading as hell as far as facing tough competition goes. Not even comparable to 07 and 08.
It’s not though. The stats adjust for the drop in strength of schedule. Read the description that I copied from their site. It was still a very good offense but the team as a whole couldn’t deliver against an incredible Bama defense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not though. The stats adjust for the drop in strength of schedule. Read the description that I copied from their site. It was still a very good offense but the team as a whole couldn’t deliver against an incredible Bama defense.

I can tell you it is as far as scoring goes especially. We only had good numbers in 09 scoring due to really running it up in those 5 non-SEC games. Don't have the stats in front of me anymore but we were constantly bogging down in drives against most SEC competition that year compared to 08 and 07. FSU was garbage that year also.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure we blew out uga that year too

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think we give Mullen too much credit for our offense back then. Like Meyer was just a bag of bones on the sideline(his last season not withstanding). It's like Myer would've never won a thing here without Mullen. It's comical.

I haven’t noticed anyone giving DM all the credit, just acknowledging he was involved in the success, followed by a dip in offense when daz took over as OC. Or maybe I skim over the long posts too quickly...

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
Pretty sure we blew out uga that year too

UGA was very mediocre that year. We only scored over 30 points 2 times against SEC teams that year and that was against UGA (41-17) and UK (41-7). We only put up 13 against grasseater and just barely scraped by Arkansas. It's safe to say that the main reason our stats looked great was due to the fact that we put up 60 against Charleston Southern and FIU and put 56 on Troy. With all that said that offense is 100 times better than the sh!tshow we have had to endure for the last 8 years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I haven’t noticed anyone giving DM all the credit, just acknowledging he was involved in the success, followed by a dip in offense when daz took over as OC. Or maybe I skim over the long posts too quickly...

I don't feel like looking but there were some that said as much. It was probably just posturing to make Mullen look better than his record says he is...nbd.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I can tell you it is as far as scoring goes especially. We only had good numbers in 09 scoring due to really running it up in those 5 non-SEC games. Don't have the stats in front of me anymore but we were constantly bogging down in drives against most SEC competition that year compared to 08 and 07. FSU was garbage that year also.

Honestly, I don’t need stats. I was there. We were in absolute dogfights with ut, Ark, Lsu, Msu and to some degree even Usce. Doesn’t mean we didn’t win, in some cases by double digits. But these were tough games to watch based on what we’d been used to.

I’m not discounting the loss of Harvin(or to a lesser extent Trautwein and Watkins), nor am I using Daz as the standard. But there is a significant step down post 2008, from which we’ve never recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.