oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Continuation of this thread:

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-s...freeze-part-ii

I got info recently from a source that I actually find more trustworthy than any of the others. I'm told Hugh Freeze is the top target of the coaching search and UF is preparing an offer that he hopefully cannot refuse. Trust me when I tell you this info is solid.

Discuss.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n117937 said:
I think it just comes down to competing for championships that Ole Miss would match what we pay him. He probably is wrestling with the realization that it is going to be very hard to win the West being at Ole Miss let alone competing for a national championship.

Fever these things change from year to year. Already I believe the league has caught up to Sumlin and Malzahn's offenses. Look for both of those programs to drop off and go into 5-7-6-6 mode for the next couple of years. Ole Miss isn't and won't be very good next year either, they have 4 HS teams on their schedule every year which makes Freezes record look better than it is. MS is heavily senior laden and done after this year also, probably 5-7 or so next year. The real clash of the titans over there will be Bama and Arky. Both of those coaches know that LOS football is what will have you in the mix year after year, not trendy offenses that don't work once scouted for more than a year.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Saban's defenses haven't caught up against good spread offenses. Those are the offenses that usually burn his defense like when OU put up 45 points on Bama in the bowl game last year. Sumlin's problem is his lack of defense.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Other than a few good years at Ole Miss, what has Freeze done that makes him so popular?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Fun N' Stun;n117951 said:
Saban's defenses haven't caught up against good spread offenses. Those are the offenses that usually burn his defense like when OU put up 45 points on Bama in the bowl game last year. Sumlin's problem is his lack of defense.

Ask Mullin and Prescott about Sabans defense, oh and you can go ahead and ask Sumlin and probably Malzahn after Bama shuts them out tomorrow. The problem with last years bowl game was nothing more than lack of motivation.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Born2beagator;n117954 said:
Other than a few mediocre years at Ole Miss, what has Freeze done that makes him so popular?
FIFY
BTW, there are a few who will get a little defensive about this question as I found out.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n117954 said:
Other than a few good years at Ole Miss, what has Freeze done that makes him so popular?

You could ask the same question of any young HC. I think folks are impressed with the progress he's made at Ole Miss. Some more than others.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117971 said:
You could ask the same question of any young HC. I think folks are impressed with the progress he's made at Ole Miss. Some more than others.

You mean he was able to match other records that other coaches who were not good enough for Florida were able to do? Tuberville, Cutcliffe, two name two.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fun N' Stun;n117951 said:

Saban's teams have consistently pummeled run-based spread (and every other run offense). They have consistently struggled against any team that can pass (ATM with Johnny Cocaine, Ugly with Murray, Scammy Scam, SOS, Oklahoma etc). I know, I know... they just lost focus in all those games... or as Chimp would say they had eye problems. Thee common denominator is a good passing game, even with a terrible defense like ATM has fielded since hiring Mark Snyder and the mediocre ones Barn has had.

The reason is simple, Saban commits to the run first on defense with both strategy and personnel (huge backers and safeties, run stopper first corners).

If you can pass and score on them, you get them out of their comfort zones on both offense and defense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n117974 said:
You mean he was able to match other records that other coaches who were not good enough for Florida were able to do? Tuberville, Cutcliffe, two name two.

No...I mean exactly what i said the first time.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
MJMGator;n117971 said:

What has Freeze done that others haven't done at Ole Miss? Cutcliffe won 10 games and a share of the SEC West title there. Has Freeze done that? People seem to want to pretend that Freeze has done things at Ole MIss that nobody else has ever done, and that's just not true.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T asked who had better recruits the last 5 years (for Beliema and Freeze), on the closed part two of this thread, I'll start from 2012 which was Bielemia's last year at Wisconsin (using Rivals rankings because they were free and I'm lazy today):
Arkansas: 34th Ole Miss: 40th

Arkansas: 24th Ole Miss: 19th

Arkansas: 49th Ole Miss: 18th

Arkansas: 16th Ole Miss: 18th

Arkansas: 36th Ole Miss: 29th

Arkansas: 31st Ole Miss; 27th

So recruits wise Ole Miss was a better job than Arkansas was been the last 5 years. Now this is not an endorsement for Bilemia who I do not think is a fit for Florida culturally. He would be worse hire than Freeze.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n117979 said:
What has Freeze done that others haven't done at Ole Miss? Cutcliffe won 10 games and a share of the SEC West title there. Has Freeze done that? People seem to want to pretend that Freeze has done things at Ole MIss that nobody else has ever done, and that's just not true.

Not pretending anything. He took over at Ole Miss when they were terrible and has done a nice job of getting them headed in the right direction during a period of time that the SECW has been nothing short of ridiculously strong. No one has said he's the savior of college football. If you think he sucks, so be it but I wish you folks would quit exaggerating about what people are saying. No one has said he's anything more than a promising young coach who has done well so far at Ole Miss.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a moronathon around here. The mouth-breather crowd literally pick whatever person won last week. It was Ruffin McNeil the week after ECU beat OSU.

BTW Bielema wouldn't be a bad choice and he's not just a power offense guy. He's had several years with 3000+ passing yards when he had the right QB. Personally, I'd much rather see his offense than Mullen or similar. I remember about a month ago having a conversation with Sas that Arky would be the best team in the East and a few people laughed. Oh well. Who's laughing now?

However, he is a pretty poor recruiter, even given the location of Wisconsin. Believe it or not there are plenty of kids who consider places like Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. Madison (stunning to me) is listed often as a "best city". (I smh every time I see that. I'd rather be in Arky for sure. Maybe I'm just a southern boy who doesn't properly appreciate snow and tundra conditions.) I suspect he'd recruit just fine at UF, however. I think everyone recruits well enough at UF and I doubt he'd do the Chimp thing of totally whiffing almost every year on positions of great need.

Bielema's defenses are inconsistent. I wonder how much of that was talent problems, particularly at Wisky.

One guy is good on offense, great on defense and a great recruiter. The other is good on defense, inconsistent on defense and a poor recruiter. It's a simple choice really and Fooley definitely weighs recruiting very highly regardless of how you weigh it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117978 said:
No...I mean exactly what i said the first time.

What you said last time is exactly what I said, he did what others have done before him. He didn't take a program that was long dorminant and make them into a power. He took a cyclically average team, and made them average. What others have done before him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117984 said:
Not pretending anything. He took over at Ole Miss when they were terrible and has done a nice job of getting them headed in the right direction during a period of time that the SECW has been nothing short of ridiculously strong. No one has said he's the savior of college football. If you think he sucks, so be it but I wish you folks would quit exaggerating about what people are saying. No one has said he's anything more than a promising young coach who has done well so far at Ole Miss.

Other than Alabama and a usually good LSU, what team in the last decade in the west has been ridiculously strong in your opinion? Arkansas, Mississippi State, Auburn, TAM, or was it their annual opponent of Vanderbilt? Other than Alabama and LSU who has been consistantly good, the last three years? TAM is average this year, Mississippi State is having their first good year in 6, Arkansas is coming off a 2-? for the last year plus, LSU is above average to good, and Alabama has been consistantly great. So how is the West Ridiculously good the last 3 years? So while telling someone to stop pretending or overexagerating, maybe you should do the same.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is going to beat the crap out of Ox's boy tomorrow

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n117987 said:
Other than Alabama and a usually good LSU, what team in the last decade in the west has been ridiculously strong in your opinion? Arkansas, Mississippi State, Auburn, TAM, or was it their annual opponent of Vanderbilt? Other than Alabama and LSU who has been consistantly good, the last three years? TAM is average this year, Mississippi State is having their first good year in 6, Arkansas is coming off a 2-? for the last year plus, LSU is above average to good, and Alabama has been consistantly great. So how is the West Ridiculously good the last 3 years?

Ole Miss would win the East. Missy State could win it all. Auburn played for the NC last year. Texas A&M was a bear with Manziel. Add all that up with Bama and LSU and I would call it the toughest division in the history of divisional play over the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator