SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some information is trickling in from several different sources. Not surprisingly, they seem to conflict with each other. :lol:

The first is this, and this is a direct copy and paste:

It looks like the next coach is coming from the Professional Ranks. Foley wants somebody very, very soon.

To me, the only logical choice from the NFL that I can see Foley really being interested in is Dan Quinn, but that's just my own speculation.

Here's the second rumor:

You may be shocked by this, as I was, but, don't be shocked if Petrino is our next coach. He has a pretty powerful supporter or two. I couldn't believe it. How could they even consider him? Stoops is lobbying for the job, too. I don't think that surprises you.

UPDATE:

- A call has been made to Chip Kelly's agent as he is the only candidate out there who may disrupt the Stoops eventuality.

- Barring from a stunner from Kelly, Stoops is the guy. Foley first contacted him after the Mizzou loss to gauge interest. At that time, Stoops and/or his reps made it known the interest was mutual.

- If the money works out (it will) Stoops will named the coach well before the bowl game.

- The really intriguing part is that Spurrier is aware that all of this going down, which explains his reactions after the game Saturday. As you know, Spurrier and Stoops are tight and Stoops surely spoke with Spurrier over the last few weeks.

- Moreover on Spurrier, he is planning to retire after the season and wants to be involved at UF in a mentor role, or certainly a support role for Stoops, Foley, etc. NOT a coaching role. Spurrier loves UF as much as you and me and is ready to see us back on top.

- Also, and this keeps coming up, but there's something cooking with Chizik, certainly not as head coach but an assistant. I've seen his name several times as being mentioned as part of a possible Stoops staff. T Rob and Lawing also likely retained.

- While Treon was a nice story and a lifeline for Muschamp for a few weeks, and while Treon still has a future at UF as a skill player, Stoops is keenly aware already that Will Grier is the future at QB.

NEW UPDATE:

Jimmy Sexton (Bob Stoops agent) and almost every college coach's agent has not been called. Period. So it looks like it is not a college guy at all.

Foley has actually talked to both Kelly and Harbaugh.

Bob Stoops is actually saying that Foley HAS his man. Which leads me to believe that it is a pro guy.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would think Kyle Shannahan if from pros but no hc experience.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan? He's expressed public interest. Obviously the reason he's going to the pros is for a home run hire, a proven product. Needs them fast too get the info out to recruits maybe?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan is the only one that could go to work right away. Still an upgrade from what we have. I mean had. THANK GOD!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, here's a follow-up. It appears the NFL thing is really just speculative:

Let me be clear. Foley wants a coach very, very, soon. I mean NOW. For that reason, MY assumption is that the coach would have to come from the pro ranks.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Kelly and Harbaugh from the NFL have also been mentioned as likely candidates by several sports writers. It seems doubtful.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
chferg;n107324 said:
Majority of NFL coaches don't translate well to NCAA and vice versa

Unless of course they have been successful NCAA coaches such as Kelly, Harbaugh, Carrol, etc

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I would give both testicles to get Chip, but I think we all know that is not happening

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
the names I mentioned are not available as Ox says, "very, very soon"

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan is available immediately to begin recruiting.
Just fyi.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can't see any available coaches from the Pro Ranks that are available now. None that I can recall have been fired. Foley took a run a Shanahan last time and he is currently available. Just saying the situation fits the speculation.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Bullag8r;n107333 said:
Unless of course they have been successful NCAA coaches such as Kelly, Harbaugh, Carrol, etc

Of course I just don't think we're getting those guys

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
aka;n107343 said:
Shanahan is available immediately to begin recruiting.
Just fyi.

That is the only NFL coach linked to the job so far that is immediately available.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the second rumor:

You may be shocked by this, as I was, but, don't be shocked if Petrino is our next coach. He has a pretty powerful supporter or two. I couldn't believe it. How could they even consider him? Stoops is lobbying for the job, too. I don't think that surprises you.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
oxrageous;n107357 said:
Here's the second rumor:

I have heard for a long time, from a reliable source within the program that Petrino was a Foley favorite

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If I had my druthers it would be Mike Gundy or Kyle Whittingham. I know Gundy is definitely not going to happen but I do like Whittingham. But geez, anyone would be a step up and whoever it is I will be excited,.....well except if it is Lane Kiffin [ugh]....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb