Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n120446 said:
I would hope it would be Chip Kelly, but didn't he have dark clouds hanging over him from the Ducks?

The NCAA version of those dark clouds clear up on Dec 25th.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n120460 said:
So do feel that we can have another Charley Pell on our hands?

Depends on how they view what he did. I'm not in those offices, I think C. Kelly is a long shot. But he has proven he can coach football.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n120463 said:
Depends on how they view what he did. I'm not in those offices, I think C. Kelly is a long shot. But he has proven he can coach football.

I think he is a long shot too with his team in the hunt for the Playoffs. I think he could bring that spark we need here on Offense, and if he keeps Durrkin we could be an instant contender. I don't think he will come unless the rumors are true that he hates the NFL.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n120470 said:
I think he is a long shot too with his team in the hunt for the Playoffs. I think he could bring that spark we need here on Offense, and if he keeps Durrkin we could be an instant contender. I don't think he will come unless the rumors are true that he hates the NFL.

I doubt it as well, but I hope he brings in someone different than Durkin for DC. We will need to run a different style of defense to match his high octane offense.

g8rgolfer

Nov 18, 2014
TheDouglas78;n120452 said:
He was fired because the NFL caught him video taping his opponents practices and the owner didn't like the media attention brought on by that.. Also going from 8-8 to 3-9 (fired after 12th game). How isn't that a total failure.
Failure ... yes ... total failure ... no. His first season there wasn't bad and got them to the playoffs and 2nd in the division, correct?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
g8rgolfer;n120447 said:
I like McDaniels. Young ... offensive guy ... mentored under great head coaches ... rings on his finger ... worked with great QBs ... NFL head coaching experience that wasn't a total failure. Not sure if he translates to success in the college ranks but we could do a lot worse than him.

I actually think McDaniels would have a serious wow factor when it comes to recruiting. Imagine the Tom Brady/Bill Bellichick stories and connections, there's no way recruits won't be intrigued by that. But I too worry that he'd always have an eye on those NFL openings.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n120453 said:
And we could do a lot better than him.

But maybe not, which is what some may be missing. If Freeze, Stoops, Kelly all say no, then what? You're left with a large pool of guys that looks like McElwain, McDaniels, Mullen, etc...

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n120473 said:
different style of defense to match his high octane offense.
Here is where we disagree. The current He15man holder was forced into throwing 4 ints and only had 125 yards through the air. I think that was impressive. Plus if you look at all of our losses in the last coupel of years not one can be 100% blamed on the Defense. I know Bama was ify but that was with a green Secondary (plus we did get turnovers) that has improved miles since that game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n120272 said:
it is shockingly bad. I'll be honest, I was on the fence about Freeze. But at least we know he can win big games. I can see him, with our talent upgrade, leading us to division titles quickly. I dont think he will struggle with KY, Vandy, and USC. This other dude, I'm just not into at all. One guy stepped up this weekend and won a big game to a highly ranked rival; the other guy just lost to Air Force. Quite frankly if you look at Air Force's schedule they are 9-3 and have better wins in their conference; they beat Boise State and CSU. Their 9-3> than CSU's 10-2. Not impressive at all.

Meyer, with Mid-Major talent and against Mid-Major opponents, had a winning percentage of 78%.
Meyer, with Power-5 talent and against Power-5 opponents, has a current winning percentage of 85.9%

It's all relative. If a coach is successful at the Mid-Major level, there is plenty of reason to believe he'd be successful at the top level, especially if he has previous experience at that level and understands what it takes to win.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
g8rgolfer;n120478 said:
Failure ... yes ... total failure ... no. His first season there wasn't bad and got them to the playoffs and 2nd in the division, correct?

2nd in their bad division, but no playoffs. He started his first season 6-0.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n120483 said:
But maybe not, which is what some may be missing. If Freeze, Stoops, Kelly all say no, then what? You're left with a large pool of guys that looks like McElwain, McDaniels, Mullen, etc...

:suicide:

g8rgolfer

Nov 18, 2014
... as for the video taping scandal, it was pretty much proven that he didnt have anything to do with it, declined to watch it when it was presented to him and that incident was used as the reason to fire him when it was pretty much a given it was going to happen anyways. His only mistake in that whole thing was not reporting it. There are theories out there that it was done to set him up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n120016 said:
Can McElwain recruit? He looks like the kind of guy that would put a blue-chip athlete to sleep while he was talking.

He got some great players to play for him with he was OC at Bama. I'm sure he was part of that recruiting. Jones, Richardson, etc... and lots of great OL, so I would say he probably can recruit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
g8rgolfer;n120491 said:
... as for the video taping scandal, it was pretty much proven that he didnt have anything to do with it, declined to watch it when it was presented to him and that incident was used as the reason to fire him when it was pretty much a given it was going to happen anyways. His only mistake in that whole thing was not reporting it. There are theories out there that it was done to set him up.

He was part of the NE scandal, and it happened under his watch in Denver. Doesn't matter why it happened, for a man who was an intrigal part of the first scandal. The second should happen period under your watch. He was both GM/Coach in Denver, how did he not have anything to do with it. Should have reported it especially with is previous involvement in New England. The regardless if he ordered it or not, he knew what was on the line.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n120507 said:
A McDaniels hire to me would be a abysmal

Okay, but who then? If Freeze, Stoops and Chip Kelly tell us to pound sand, then who? Back to Dabo and Gundy?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n120507 said:
A McDaniels hire to me would be a abysmal

Not really sure. I doubt it would be reported as some great hire by the media to help recruiting.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be absolutely stunned if McDaniels was offered the job at UF. Stunned. He isn't even remotely a fit in any way. He has almost nothing Foley thinks is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.