Sources: UF & Chip Kelly working on contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
So much info, mis-info., speculation, and smokescreens in this or any other coaching search. I won't be excited (or depressed) until UAA makes a public announcement that a new coach has been hired AND signed. While I find much of this to be interesting and somewhat amusing at times, I'm not going lose any sleep over any of it. But I do think, that of all the names being bandied about, dis regarding any "baggage" issues, Chip Kelly is probably the best choice as an absolute can't-miss home-run hire. I don't see any of the other candidates bringing as much to the table as he can.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
The only thing I know to be true is that no matter who gets hired there will be a certain group of Gator fans that will be there to crap all over it.

Go Gators!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Interesting to note: Chip was once a defensive coordinator. Now it was only 1 year and at Johns Hopkins, but he was.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Kelly may be one of those coaches who can get it done in College but struggle (as he did) in the NFL. Not that he was that bad, maybe just not a good fit.
Kelly didn't necessarily "struggle" in the NFL. I'm not sure where that narrative is coming from. I'm actually encouraged by his NFL tenure. And I think him not being employed by an NFL team is due to behind the scenes issues. Which would be great for us if he were to come here. Means he's probably not looking to go back.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I just heard from a very reliable source that Alonzo Ball will be announcing that UF Football and Big Baller brand will be coming together for the 2018 season. Chip Kelly was instrumental at helping to close the deal as Lonzo initially wasn't sure the UF brand was strong enough.

Thank you Chip for your first win.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I know to be true is that no matter who gets hired there will be a certain group of Gator fans that will be there to crap all over it.

Go Gators!
And there’s always a certain group that defends bad hires no matter what. :crazy:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Isn’t linking GSMB a permanently bannable offense? Ok sure I personally and publicly insulted the board owner, but I’ve NEVER done anything like actually linking GSMB. :faint:
Ox requested it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Kelly didn't necessarily "struggle" in the NFL. I'm not sure where that narrative is coming from. I'm actually encouraged by his NFL tenure. And I think him not being employed by an NFL team is due to behind the scenes issues. Which would be great for us if he were to come here. Means he's probably not looking to go back.

This is an interesting thought and think that it is something to consider. I will say point blank that I hope it is not Chip Kelly, but if I may expound upon your point. I do not think Chip is a total football coach and cares ZERO about anything other than offense and running 500 plays a game. For that reason I thought he would be unsuccessful in the NFL and for the most part he was. You heard his own players saying he was unconcerned about helping the defense, etc. Limited offensive playbook allowed defenses to really prepare for his limited schemes. but in fairness he has always believed in not having a zillion offensive plays, but being very good at a few plays. Nothing wrong with that. But if I can compare a little to SOS, who I also thought would not be successful in the NFL, for some of the same reasons, and he was not. However I conceded that I believe SOS was a better college coach at USCe b/c of his failed expereince in the NFL. He seemed more concerned about defense and special teams, than he was at UF. He seemed to run the ball much more at USCe and with more effectiveness. so perhaps Chip having had not much success in the NFL will have helped him learn about helping his defense and managing the entire game, etc. should he ever return to college ball.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators!

And no matter how piss-poor a coach is, there are those who will gargle...

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I thought you were firmly in the Butters camp until he was fired. :dunno:

I tend to try and see the positive side of things and try to support the team regardless of who the coach is. I was happy with the recruiting momentum and the family culture he had built amongst the players. I started to doubt my logic during the debit card fiasco and questioned why I should care more about the program than the players. Although Mac didn't tell the players to make such stupid decisions it happened on his watch and he needed to be heald accountable. I finally jumped off the Butters train during the Tenn game and the abysmal play calling.

Unfortunately Mac was not the right guy but I am yet again hopeful the new hire will lead us to the promise land.

fairfaxgator

Jan 24, 2017
Question regarding timing of potential announcement...

Tomorrow, Monday (will upstage the opening day of Gator ball which holds a lot of promise this season) or Tuesday?

I think if it is a done deal it's announced tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator