Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This thread is a continuation of this one, which had reach 1,000 posts:

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-...ic-will-muschamp-has-been-fired-second-update

- Muschamp has already been fired and it will be announced when the time is right
- He's negotiating a smaller buyout if the team doesn't make a bowl
- Foley is not behind the firing and will not have much influence on who the next coach will be
- The new President is not involved in the hiring process yet, but he will be.
- They do have candidates for the job and have put out feelers. The response has been "receptive".
- While coaching candidates names won't be revealed, I'm told a coach from Mississippi is "unlikely"

This is information I've been given by someone who claims to have a contact close to the program. I don't know if it's true, take it or leave it.

UPDATED: I was contacted by a second source who also claims to have knowledge of the situation. He says:

- It is true Muschamp has already been informed he will not be retained. He's a goner.
- Somewhat contrary to my initial source, Foley will be the primary decision maker on a new coach (gulp)
- The Board of Trustees, the President, and the boosters have given Foley a "blank check" to make it happen - money will NOT be an issue
- Foley HAS already interviewed coaches, and agents have been spoken to as well. Interviews actually began after last season.
- Does not know who the coaches who have been contacted are

Again, take it or leave it. I don't know if the information is true or not. I don't think any of it is Earth-shattering, but I'm personally convinced that we won't have to worry about seeing Muschamp on the Gator sidelines next season.

SECOND UPDATE; I just received an email from a THIRD source who claims to have knowledge of the situation. Information comes from someone who is close to a member of the UAA Board. I'm going to cut and past most of it right here:

According to him, Muschamp is done. The unfortunate part is that Foley is the search committee for the next coach. The sole member. Supposedly he has a list of 5 candidates. The criteria: young, HC experience, offensive-minded, familiar with the SEC. He would neither confirm nor deny any of my guesses so I don't know the specifics but I absolutely trust the source. Not knowing me, of course, you may add me to the rumor mill.

This person claims that the source knows the five names on the list, but isn't saying who they are. They assured me they will keep working to get some names.

Take it or leave it, Gators.

Discuss.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Could you let us know some of your guesses?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Young, head coaching experience, familiarity with the SEC, offensive minded. Dear God, that sure sounds like Lane Kiffin to me.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97114 said:
The unfortunate part is that Foley is the search committee for the next coach. The sole member.

Is your source saying Foley selecting the next coach is "unfortunate" or is that you saying it's unfortunate?

Out of curiosity, who would the Foley-hating minority prefer pick the next coach? Some committee? The new President? An outside search agency?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only guys that I can think of that fit that description is Hugh freeze, kliff Kingsbury, Dan Mullen and James Franklin. I'm surely missing somebody

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
The Original DC;n97154 said:
Is your source saying Foley selecting the next coach is "unfortunate" or is that you saying it's unfortunate?

Out of curiosity, who would the Foley-hating minority prefer pick the next coach? Some committee? The new President? An outside search agency?

I'd favor a small committee to offer perspective if nothing else.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n97161 said:
I'd favor a small committee to offer perspective if nothing else.

I wouldn't. Foley should make the selection. He has assistants and a new President he can confide in to offer perspective.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I would like to believe Foley has learned the hard way and knows what needs to be done. Im sure he has had numerous boosters and others in his ear and he is going to do the right thing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n97160 said:
The only guys that I can think of that fit that description is Hugh freeze, kliff Kingsbury, Dan Mullen and James Franklin. I'm surely missing somebody
I'd be happy with Freeze or Franklin. Would be very disappointed in the other two. Freeze would be my pick of that short list.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n97177 said:
I'd be happy with Freeze or Franklin. Would be very disappointed in the other two. Freeze would be my pick of that short list.
I would be disappointed with the other 2 myself but I think I like Franklin a little more than freeze. I'm not quite sure why I think he's got more of an a hole personality that most of the great coaches have.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
The Original DC;n97162 said:
I wouldn't. Foley should make the selection. He has assistants and a new President he can confide in to offer perspective.

You asked, I answered. Sure he has a bunch of people he can confide in. He's made 2 picks independently, and they have both been tremendous busts. He loves to gamble, he needs people who will pull him back from the brink.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n97180 said:
Kingsbury is not familiar with the SEC.
He was sumlins oc anm s first year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97179 said:
Keep Kliff Kingsbury miles and miles and miles away from this program. Please.
This is something we can both agree on

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n97154 said:
The bolded portion is an exact cut and paste of the email I received. A lot of people don't have a lot of faith in Foley's judgement when it comes to picking football coaches.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n97187 said:
You asked, I answered. Sure he has a bunch of people he can confide in. He's made 2 picks independently, and they have both been tremendous busts. He loves to gamble, he needs people who will pull him back from the brink.

The Zook hire was out of desperation and absolutely zero homerun candidates after Stoops said no. Muschamp was one of the hottest candidates in America at the time he was hired, it's on Muschamp that he turned out to be a bust. Oh, and Foley's hiring of Meyer tripled our national title count. Just say "thank you and good luck on the next hire, Mr Foley!"

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97197 said:
A lot of people don't have a lot of faith in Foley's judgement when it comes to picking football coaches.

About a dozen zealots on this board (out of hundreds of members) and the guy who sent you the email constitutes "a lot?" A lot of others think the people going after Foley are absolute ignoramuses and doing more harm to the program than the folks on the opposite extreme end who still want to keep Muschamp around.

I'm thrilled that those who want Foley gone or marginalized are still seen clearly as the lunatic fringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator