SOURCES: While not yet public, Will Muschamp has been fired *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I still think we lose to USCe and FSU but I still think Muschamp is safe. Fooley will tell us about all the progress that's been made and that we were still in the SEC East hunt in November (never mind that this division is woeful). This is why he should have been fired after Missouri, now we're stuck.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n100845 said:
I still think we lose to USCe and FSU but I still think Muschamp is safe. Fooley will tell us about all the progress that's been made and that we were still in the SEC East hunt in November (never mind that this division is woeful). This is why he should have been fired after Missouri, now we're stuck.

That could be a slim possibility if we barely lost to both teams knowing Foley but I think he at least needs the SC win to survive.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Now that we have won back to back, we are at the point of play out the season and determine his fate at the end. We at least have a chance to win the 3 more provided Driskel remains on the sideline. I don't want any news interrupting our chances to watch the ole ball coach throw his visor around and snap a few semenhole crab legs.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Unlike recent seasons, we will actually have a good quarterback next season. Now I don't think that should mean Muschamp keeps his job due to his many past failures, but a good quarterback can make a coach look better than expected (see Gene Chidzik). Therefore, whoever is our coach next season, I will survive because I know we will have our dependable great defense along with a quarterback who has proven himself more than competent (and hopefully excellent).

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not that this comment is a big deal but, if Champ returns next season I will not renew my season tickets. I have had season tickets for 12 years. I came very close to not renewing this season.Season ticket renewals are already low, if Muschamp is retained, they will be lower next season.

Muschamp is now 17 - 14 overall in the SEC, 14 - 8 vs. the East with 11 wins over Kentucky, Tennessee each and Vandy. He is 3 - 6 vs. the West. We have losing records against our major opponents: Bama (0 - 2), Auburn (0 - 1), Georgia (1 - 3), Missouri (1 - 2), South Carolina (1 - 2), FSU (1 - 2) and Miami (0 - 1). I do not understand how he could be retained with these records even if he wins out.

tarjf

Gator Alum
Nov 8, 2014
Looks like Ox could be right! From ESPN insider:

Oklahoma should have a new coach in 2015. No, Bob Stoops is not getting fired. He sports a 166-42 career record and has never had a losing season.
However, Stoops should strongly consider leaving on his own volition to shake things up. It would be of benefit to his career, to Oklahoma -- and to his next school.
If jobs at Florida and Michigan do open, both would have Stoops high on their wish lists. And the feeling should be mutual.
Let’s face the facts: Oklahoma has gotten stagnant.
“It happens. He should move on,” one coach told me Saturday. “Ten years is the max, I would say.”
If the staleness wasn’t clear, Saturday’s 48-14 loss to Baylor drove home the point.
After winning 75 of his first 77 games at Owen Field, Stoops is 14-5 there since then.
“That was a tough place to play,” one coach told me Saturday night.
Yeah -- was.
Even in their previous six home defeats, Stoops' Sooners had not been embarrassed like this. OU fans lustily booed the team’s soft defense early in the second half on Saturday. And that’s before the game really went sideways.
The Sooners lost by 34; Stoops’ first six home losses came by a combined 36 points.
Put it this way: There’s a growing number of OU fans who would help load Stoops’ moving van if the day came. Too many years of promise have gone unfulfilled, and too many years have passed since the Sooners' 2000 BCS title.
“I think it’s very real,” one coach said when I asked him generally about OU's staleness. “Fans get spoiled. A lot of coaches move on to keep it new, keep energy high. Look at Urban [Meyer].”
Maybe it was just a contract leverage play, which worked, but I believed some coaches when they told me Stoops had genuine interest last winter in the Cleveland Browns job.
“I think he’s looking for other options,” a coach said Saturday.

When the topic of disappointment came up this summer, Stoops focused on the 2009 season, in which a number of players -- including Heisman-winning QB Sam Bradford -- dealt with injuries.
That’s fine -- totally fair. But he didn’t have any explanation for OU's three-loss season in 2011, and this year's team -- widely considered a contender for a playoff spot -- now has three losses, including two consecutive home defeats.
Baylor, a program moving in the opposite direction, has now beaten OU in three of the past four meetings; it was 0-20 in the series prior to 2011.
Do you need more evidence than that to prove that things have changed in the Big 12? This is no longer a league run by OU and Texas. The changing of the guard came en masse, with Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and now TCU ushering UT and OU to the periphery.
Things had gotten similarly stale in Austin, and Texas made a change.
Stoops is not on any sort of hot seat -- yet. But he is trending in that direction. So now’s the time for Stoops to make the change himself.
The school loves to boast how long the president, AD and coach have been together, and rightfully so. But all good runs come to an end. Might as well transition with some grace.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ergator920103;n101150 said:
Not that this comment is a big deal but, if Champ returns next season I will not renew my season tickets. I have had season tickets for 12 years. I came very close to not renewing this season.Season ticket renewals are already low, if Muschamp is retained, they will be lower next season.

Muschamp is now 17 - 14 overall in the SEC, 14 - 8 vs. the East with 11 wins over Kentucky, Tennessee each and Vandy. He is 3 - 6 vs. the West. We have losing records against our major opponents: Bama (0 - 2), Auburn (0 - 1), Georgia (1 - 3), Missouri (1 - 2), South Carolina (1 - 2), FSU (1 - 2) and Miami (0 - 1). I do not understand how he could be retained with these records even if he wins out.

I agree. But from my post though, I just say don't publicly rock the boat now with two big shows left and some team momentum. Any loss moving forward just adds to the indictment above and can be executed hours after the season ends.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
threatmatrix;n101259 said:
The highest level of coaching success Champ will ever achieve is Level Zook.

your giving him way to much credit. chump cant even hold the zookers jock

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
threatmatrix;n101259 said:
The highest level of coaching success Champ will ever achieve is Level Zook.

I disagree. It is not all that uncommon for people to improve and exceed expectations. Some people have the capacity to learn, grow, change and improve. Some don't. Muschamp's demeanor on the sideline has improved this year. Will he ever become a successful head coach? The last chapter of that book hasn't been written. We should all be aware of the fact that most self-made wealthy entrepreneurs have previously experienced multiple business failures and bankruptcies. But, they don't give up. Instead, they learn how to change, adjust and improve. By the same token, some people have the capacity to detect, recognize and accept the change and improvement in other people and some don't.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
gatormandan;n101255 said:
Im waiting on the Stoop.....

Oklahoma is 6-3, and got 48 points laid on them yesterday. Not sure there situation is much better.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n101390 said:
Oklahoma is 6-3, and got 48 points laid on them yesterday. Not sure there situation is much better.
Oh. Well that totally nullifies his record for the last 15 years.

:suicide:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
L-boy;n101390 said:

I think your wrong. Stoops is at a place where things have gone stale and a change would energize him and I believe recruiting would improve dramatically. He would have the tools available here to win another championship rather quickly I think. He will be our coach next year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n101267 said:
I disagree. It is not all that uncommon for people to improve and exceed expectations. Some people have the capacity to learn, grow, change and improve. Some don't. Muschamp's demeanor on the sideline has improved this year. Will he ever become a successful head coach? The last chapter of that book hasn't been written. We should all be aware of the fact that most self-made wealthy entrepreneurs have previously experienced multiple business failures and bankruptcies. But, they don't give up. Instead, they learn how to change, adjust and improve. By the same token, some people have the capacity to detect, recognize and accept the change and improvement in other people and some don't.

Nice little story. Newsflash...WM sucks as a HC and Florida is not the place to learn on the job for an indefinite amount of time. This failed experiment needs to come to a close in 2014.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MJMGator;n101394 said:
Nice little story. Newsflash...WM sucks as a HC and Florida is not the place to learn on the job for an indefinite amount of time. This failed experiment needs to come to a close in 2014.

Yepers.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The longer he is here, the more likely he is returning for next year. That was why I was so adamant about firing him after the Mizzou game and not letting him coach any longer. The more he wins, and if we win big next saturday, then say hello to another sub-par year next year...

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hope we don't go after Stoops. He is another defensive coach and we Need one with a great offensive mind. We normally have a good defense. Stoops is also alittle burnt out. We need offense offense offense and I believe Foley knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.