South Carolina to offer better scollys

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
From the NYT - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/26/s...module=Recommendation&src=recg&pgtype=article

South Carolina announced Thursday that it would guarantee four-year scholarships for football and men’s basketball players and would offer students getting full scholarships the “full cost of attendance,” an amount several thousand dollars higher than a current scholarship, should theN.C.A.A. make that permissible.

UF should announce the same ASAP, and the entire SEC should follow.

Now if we had a way to address the effects of injuries after school is over most of the players issues would be addressed.

Bloviate!!!

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think all scholarships should include a clause that forces a complete repayment of all benefits if the athlete fails to stay all 4 years.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n63867 said:
I think all scholarships should include a clause that forces a complete repayment of all benefits if the athlete fails to stay all 4 years.

Or perhaps a partial for the times that they leave early?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n63872 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

Or perhaps a partial for the times that they leave early?

Possibly. At least make it somewhat painful to break a commitment.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We already offer 4 year schollys if im not mistaken.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n63882 said:

Correct but not the full cost of attendance feature. I don't see us allowing others to get ahead of us in this area.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
South Carolina has better Scolly's.?.?. Man, Steve Spurrier has all the cool toys.

:wobble:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n63882 said:

Terrible idea. We have kids eating scholarships that have no business being on a Div 1 football roster. Too many kids who haven't earned their scholarship.

If you earn an academic scholarship, but get to college and start bringing home Cs and Ds, then you lose the scholly.

If we keep doing this and Bammer and the others don't, we'll be fighting Vandy, Tinerc and Kintucky for last place for a long, long time.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier has been outspoken in favor of players getting a stipend so families can attend games ,etc. Sounds like this incorporates that concept. Wasn't he talking about an amount like an additional $2000 per year or less

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm all for stipends. Just not 4 year schollies for duds.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We should sign 100 every year just like 'bama. Then greyshirt, cut fifth year seniors from the practice squad, use medical hardship where convenient and let arrests, "academic" dropouts, and transfers that are "in the players best interest", whittle the count down to 85. Either play by the big dog rules or don't play at all.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n64069 said:
I'm all for stipends. Just not 4 year schollies for duds.

Really surprised you didn't use JD's name here as an example. Just when we think we've got you all figured out, you go and surprise... :)

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n64093 said:
Really surprised you didn't use JD's name here as an example. Just when we think we've got you all figured out, you go and surprise... :)

There is no way we would pull JD's scholarship with the lack of depth we have at TE.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n63967 said:
Terrible idea. We have kids eating scholarships that have no business being on a Div 1 football roster. Too many kids who haven't earned their scholarship.

If you earn an academic scholarship, but get to college and start bringing home Cs and Ds, then you lose the scholly.

If we keep doing this and Bammer and the others don't, we'll be fighting Vandy, Tinerc and Kintucky for last place for a long, long time.

Gee there are many conditions on your scolly including working hard, going to class, etc. They are sufficient. Now injuries should be handled as they are now, you keep your scolly but don't count. Coaches mistakes should not be paid for by students.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n63967 said:
we'll be fighting Vandy, Tinerc and Kintucky for last place for a long, long time.

Um... we are already there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.