Special Assistant to the Head Coach

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
https://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Alabama-announces-Key-hire-details-Williams-role-43745527

Why don't we, or do we do this? I'm sure Alabama is not the only program that so blatantly bends the rules like this. (I did see Kentucky basketball doing the same thing with Tony Barbree as the "special assistant") So instead of the NCAA mandate of no more than 9 assistant coaches on staff, Saban has collected a cadre of "special assistants". Now this new special assistant yesterday was the tight ends coach and the former head coach at Michigan State, but now he just gets coffee for Saban and the rest of the coaches....Where is the NCAA on this? Makes me think that it must be pretty rampant that it cant be an enforced rule?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The rich get richer.

This tactic/strategy by Saban has changed college football. His "analyst" positions are filled w/ former coaches from smaller programs (they make more $$ as an "analyst" at Bama than as the DB coach at Troy or East Tennessee). These coaches usually parlay these positions into a bigger job at a Power 5 school. Their new DC, Pruitt, was an analyst before he became the DB coach at Alabama...then DC at FSU...then DC at UGA...and now back to Bama as the DC (he'll be a head coach within a few years).

There is nothing the NCAA can do about this (except maybe "catch" them "coaching" on the field). The NFL uses twice as many coaches at college football uses and this is where Saban got this approach (plus a bottomless checkbook from the Alabama AD). Most SEC schools are doing this now (if not all SEC schools), but it was unheard of 10 years ago.

The NCAA allowed the position of "Recruiting Coordinator" to be a non-coaching position a few years back (it used to be one of the position coaches collateral duties, now it's a full-time job for a non-coach).

I'd imagine Alabama has 10+ analysts and another 5-10 "assistants" that are all football guys.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The rich get richer.

This tactic/strategy by Saban has changed college football. His "analyst" positions are filled w/ former coaches from smaller programs (they make more $$ as an "analyst" at Bama than as the DB coach at Troy or East Tennessee). These coaches usually parlay these positions into a bigger job at a Power 5 school. Their new DC, Pruitt, was an analyst before he became the DB coach at Alabama...then DC at FSU...then DC at UGA...and now back to Bama as the DC (he'll be a head coach within a few years).

There is nothing the NCAA can do about this (except maybe "catch" them "coaching" on the field). The NFL uses twice as many coaches at college football uses and this is where Saban got this approach (plus a bottomless checkbook from the Alabama AD). Most SEC schools are doing this now (if not all SEC schools), but it was unheard of 10 years ago.

The NCAA allowed the position of "Recruiting Coordinator" to be a non-coaching position a few years back (it used to be one of the position coaches collateral duties, now it's a full-time job for a non-coach).

I'd imagine Alabama has 10+ analysts and another 5-10 "assistants" that are all football guys.

Rest assured Saban's ROI for Bama justifies the loose purse strings.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is one area where I dont understand why we dont do the same.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Is Bama the only program that does this? I can't really find examples of other programs doing the same thing? At least not to the extent that appears to be happening there. Geez, it's not very hard to see what's going on and the potential advantage and abuse of the rules.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It for sure is gaming the system, and Bama will do anything to stay at the top. At least Mac is hiring quality control coaches, which is a step in the right direction.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It costs us 45-50$ mil each year we are not on par with Bama. Our income during Urbies time was $148 mil and that was before the SEC network. Then it dropped to the mid nineties or less.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have read that there are as many as 30 special assistants on Bama's staff. They hide some through various means. Pretty much all the SEC teams except Vandy and us have been doing it for a while. Meatchickens, OxSU and Pedo State does it. Even teams like Louisville have a dozen QAs.

We have a few QA types now, with various titles. It IS an NFL thing, more accurately a Patriots/Bilichek thing. Saban didn't start it. In the old days, the coaching staff would cut up the film and do a film review on Sunday then put a game plan in place Mon or Tues. Its not much time for the position coaches to digest so much film. Now each team on the schedule gets one or more QA who may spend a year or more digesting every second of film on an opponent. That is why they often knew what play we were running as soon as we lined up or sometimes what we were likely to run in every situation before we called the play.

You either get in the arms race or go to 1AA. Fooley has no choice.

Last edited:

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
https://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Alabama-announces-Key-hire-details-Williams-role-43745527

Why don't we, or do we do this? I'm sure Alabama is not the only program that so blatantly bends the rules like this. (I did see Kentucky basketball doing the same thing with Tony Barbree as the "special assistant") So instead of the NCAA mandate of no more than 9 assistant coaches on staff, Saban has collected a cadre of "special assistants". Now this new special assistant yesterday was the tight ends coach and the former head coach at Michigan State, but now he just gets coffee for Saban and the rest of the coaches....Where is the NCAA on this? Makes me think that it must be pretty rampant that it cant be an enforced rule?

Whats the difference between this and obongo from the congo czars?

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
I have read that there are as many as 30 special assistants on Bama's staff. They hide some through various means. Pretty much all the SEC teams except Vandy and us have been doing it for a while. Meatchickens, OxSU and Pedo State does it. Even teams like Louisville have a dozen QAs.

We have a few QA types now, with various titles. It IS an NFL thing, more accurately a Patriots/Bilichek thing. Saban didn't start it. In the old days, the coaching staff would cut up the film and do a film review on Sunday then put a game plan in place Mon or Tues. Its not much time for the position coaches to digest so much film. Now each team on the schedule gets one or more QA who may spend a year or more digesting every second of film on an opponent. That is why they often knew what play we were running as soon as we lined up or sometimes what we were likely to run in every situation before we called the play.

You either get in the arms race or go to 1AA. fooley has no CLUE.

Better!

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
If we ever get one of these guys....this is my nomination. He was an ace as Assistant to the Regional Manager

latest

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is Bama the only program that does this? I can't really find examples of other programs doing the same thing? At least not to the extent that appears to be happening there. Geez, it's not very hard to see what's going on and the potential advantage and abuse of the rules.

No....the entire SEC (and other programs that have money) are doing this. Bama started it and have taken it to the extreme, but yes, WE are doing it too.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is one area where I dont understand why we dont do the same.

From today's coachingticker site:

Toledo: Florida offensive quality control assistant Marquel Blackwell is expected to join the Toledo staff as running backs coach, according to Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans. Blackwell spent one season at Florida after two seasons at USF.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I recall creating these types of positions at UF occurred around the same time Mac got the IPF approved. This is not news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
How many ex-head coaches do we have working as quality control assistants?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're up to about 12 total of the staff. I think Bama sits around 35. Ohio State is around 20 something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.