Spencer Perry commits to UF

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n195283 said:
Nafis Karim was the top rated WR in 1994. Tyrone Baker was also considered elite, but I think he was a rb/wr/athlete not a true WR. Reidel Anthony (eventual first team All American) was a second tier guy. Ike Hilliard and Jacquez Green (also AAs) were considered depth or projects. Travis McGriff (all SEC) was a walkon.

Just sayin.

I LOVE the facts that we are hoeing our rows in Florida FIRST. We get to see these kids in local all-star games/camps etc against the top-ranked players in our state.

Travis McGriff wasn't a walk on. I was there when he and Terry Jackson signed their LOI. His father Lee McGriff was a walk on.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n195283 said:
Tyrone Baker was also considered elite, but I think he was a rb/wr/athlete not a true WR.
Tyrone Baker was a dominant star RB at Buchholz that led us to the 1991 State Title. I was at that championship game. He never played WR.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n196081 said:
Tyrone Baker was a dominant star RB at Buchholz that led us to the 1991 State Title. I was at that championship game. He never played WR.

Tyrone Baker the touchdown maker.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You were working concessions right?

Paynurts.jpg

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
I'm just curious. What does it matter if someone becomes a four or five star after he's committed to your school? Does he suddenly become a better player then? It doesn't matter how he's evaluated after he commits. The only thing that matters is if he was deemed worthy of becoming a Gator by the coaches. This coaching staff wanted him, that's all that matters. The reason UF has a new coaching staff is the hope that they'll do a better job evaluating players. UF has not lacked their share of four and five star recruits, even on offense, so the number of stars hasn't been the problem anyway. It's the failure of many of them to play to the level of the hype. The stars are just for the fans anyway, I doubt the coaches even know how many stars a player has when they evaluate him. We'll just have to trust McElwain's judgement, he's got a contract for the next six years.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n196115 said:
I'm just curious. What does it matter if someone becomes a four or five star after he's committed to your school?

Because it improves our recruit class ranking. Some people like bragging about their team being ranked high in recruiting.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Say what you want about Muschamp, but the guy knows how to recruit and coach players in the secondary. I don't care if this guy is a 3 star. If T-Rob and Muschamp want him, it means the guy has real talent. From what I have read, this is another guy who will be a solid 4 star by the time he signs his LOI.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n196081 said:
Take a look at the 1996 Roster, they list him as WR. That's where I got that. http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=1996

He was on the WR depth chart at some point and he was "higher ranked" (though the recruiting services didn't exist in the same sense as they do now). Perhaps Jamie Richardson would have been a better choice. He too was "ranked" higher than Quez, Ike, or McGriff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.