Sports Story of the Year

WDCGator

The Gentleman from D.C.
Nov 20, 2014
Looking back on 2014, there were no shortage of memorable sports stories: UF decides to part ways with Will Muschamp, the Donald Sterling fiasco, LeBron James decides to return to Cleveland, UConn's men and women's basketball teams won titles, Michael Sam announces he is gay, Derek Jeter retires, Madison Bumgarner's dominant MLB postseason, etc.

As the year enters its sunset, which story of 2014 is the most memorable to you?

I'm going with Lauren Hill: the cancer-stricken women's college basketball player who probably won't live to see summer 2015. It's such an inspirational story that puts life into perspective.

What is yours?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After hearing nonstop about his greatness during the regular season and how the coming Super Bowl victory (along with the likely MVP) would cement his place in NFL history, my favorite sports story of the year is summed up by this play; the fastest score in Super Bowl history:

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not sure which specific event started it, but there were a ton of great sportsmanship events this year. With all the crap going on elsewhere, it was heartwarming and inspirational to see young people acting this way.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Donald Sterling was easily the best story of the year. The only real disappointment is the ending - Sterling could have brought down the garbage heap that is the modern NBA and blew it. It stinks not having him around pro basketball.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Sports story of the year: how the birth of a Gator-themed website, which for some unexplained reason is run by an Ox (why's it not "Gatorageous"?), united a bunch of misfits through sophomoric insults of Will Muschamp.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n136851 said:
Sports story of the year: how the birth of a Gator-themed website, which for some unexplained reason is run by an Ox (why's it not "Gatorageous"?), united a bunch of misfits through sophomoric insults of Will Muschamp.
:dance:

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Serious answer - it was the Ray Rice scandal b/c it brought domestic abuse to the forefront, and teams can no longer get away with weak suspensions for serious crimes

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
For me, the sports story of the year was the College Football Playoff and the weekly meeting of the selection committee late in the year and following who were going to be the four final teams selected. Teams rose and fell as the season progressed. As a long time SEC football fan, it was unbelievable to see the Mississippi State Bulldogs make it to number one in the nation and hang there so long and deep into the season. Cross state rival the Ole Miss Rebels also made it up to number 3 fairly late in the year. So it was a big year for football in the Magnolia State.

On the Gator front, the story of the year had to be the firing of Coach Will Muschamp and his subsequent hiring as the defensive coordinator at Auburn. On a positive note for the Gators -- I know, I know, some will say that Muschamp's firing was a positive note -- it had to be the beatdown by the Gators of the Georgia Bulldogs and the way we ran the ball over and over on them until we made them quit. It's never a postive note if your team does so bad you have to fire the coach. It only becomes a positive thing when it becomes inevitable that the firing has to be done.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go find the recent story of the no name raiders player giving his game check to a family of a sick little girl. Its a good one.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
QueenCityGator;n136851 said:
Thank you for that morning guffaw. Perfect
Or to me Billy D taking them to the final four with a team of role players of WHICH not a single one is NBA bound and his ONLY losses were to other final four teams. Beating UK three times, LOADED with NBA talent.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
March 3, 2014. The day this stereotype was crushed.
obama-layup-fail-terrible-basketball-shots.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n137077 said:
Sorry, nothing tops this IMHO......
How is that better than Donald Sterling getting a raw deal?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nice sarcasm Ox. Yeah, an 80+ year old billionaire supposedly getting the shaft tops a kid that will never get to 20 battling cancer yet trying to play a sport. Classic gold sir.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n137644 said:
Nice sarcasm Ox. Yeah, an 80+ year old billionaire supposedly getting the shaft tops a kid that will never get to 20 battling cancer yet trying to play a sport. Classic gold sir.

Are you actually griping about someone going over the line? :lol:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n137647 said:
Are you actually griping about someone going over the line? :lol:

Nah, no gripes, just regulating my sarcasm meter for the new year.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users