Spread offense

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
If we land a coach who runs a spread offense, I hope they look at
Kadarius Toney to run it. He would be exciting to watch at that position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, pretty much every coach we are looking at runs a "spread offense" but there are many different variations. Patriots run spread, SOS even ran spread passing formations often. (But traditional run game)

The term is almost worthless.

It will depend greatly which variation we get. IMO Toney should be on the field every play regardless.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For those interested, UCF's QB has only run the ball 43 times this year (Franks has 40 attempts)....rushing attempts do include sacks.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Well, pretty much every coach we are looking at runs a "spread offense" but there are many different variations. Patriots run spread, SOS even ran spread passing formations often. (But traditional run game)

The term is almost worthless.

It will depend greatly which variation we get. IMO Toney should be on the field every play regardless.
"Spread Option" is what the OP is thinking about.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For those interested, UCF's QB has only run the ball 43 times this year (Franks has 40 attempts)....rushing attempts do include sacks.

Except they've only had like 4 sacks all year. We have that many each game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Except they've only had like 4 sacks all year. We have that many each game.

Right, so the QB has only had 39 attempts? Those could have been scrambles as well (not designed/called QB running plays). I like that "spread" vs. the Mullen style (where to QB pounds it 15-20 times/game).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Watch some of games. They run option a lot so the QB IS running most plays even if it becomes a pitch or shuttle.

Passing is 90% screen games or short spread stuff. Pretty much Meyerish without the single wing stuff and without the SLOW paced lemur wait til 25 seconds to snap thing.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right, so the QB has only had 39 attempts? Those could have been scrambles as well (not designed/called QB running plays). I like that "spread" vs. the Mullen style (where to QB pounds it 15-20 times/game).

I don't like my QB running around getting tackled by 300lb + DL and 240lb LBs very often, but just having that threat there can greatly open up the offense. You don't need to abuse the QB. Just a keeper here and there to keep the defense honest is good enough imo.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They don't have the QB pounding on short yardage, no doubt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watch some of games. They run option a lot so the QB IS running most plays even if it becomes a pitch or shuttle.

Passing is 90% screen games or short spread stuff. Pretty much Meyerish without the single wing stuff and without the SLOW paced lemur wait til 25 seconds to snap thing.

I watched most of the Navy game and the Memphis game. He doesn't quite run as much as Meyer's QBs at UF, but Meyer's Ohio State QBs don't pound it as much. We all know for a spread to work the QB has to be a threat to run. So I don't mind it at all. I just don't think the Tebow, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott type's (that Mullen has had success with) are as common. Sure, you can find them. I'd rather the QB be as protected as possible (taking less hits) yet still be able to get loose for a 10, 20 yarder here and there.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
I would like to see if Briles offense would work in the SEC. Dino Babers at Cuse seems to getting it rolling. Worked quite well in the Big 12. Will it work in the SEC? CS seems to buy into it with Sterlin Gilbert (whom he has brought to USF).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When it comes to spread offenses of coaching candidates, Norvells is the funnest to watch. An uptempo pass heavy offense. His rb's are going north and south and wr's are going down field. Definitely would be reminiscent of the fun n gun. Corral would throw for 16k yards here.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Most of you know, some don't, the spread is a formation that numerous styles of offense use.

You see the most success, I believe, from teams that can run a multiple offense. (Spread, pro-style (several ways to run that too now)).

Teams with great coaches adjust to the personnel they have. Much like Urban with Leak instead of with Alex Smith or Tebow.

My goal is that we get a Coach who gets it, schematicly and demands excellence, his confidence is contagious and recruits realize they Have to come here.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we land a coach who runs a spread offense, I hope they look at
Kadarius Toney to run it. He would be exciting to watch at that position.
No no no no no no no no no... **** no. Spread just means spread...any QB can run a spread offense

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like my QB running around getting tackled by 300lb + DL and 240lb LBs very often, but just having that threat there can greatly open up the offense. You don't need to abuse the QB. Just a keeper here and there to keep the defense honest is good enough imo.
I wish we had 240lb linebackers

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Much like Urban with Leak
Yeah, in that one game in January 2017.... after trying to run option with him for two fvkking years.

maxresdefault3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb