Spring game observations

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well here's a few things that I noticed from yesterday. One things is despite not feeling warm and fuzzy about what I saw, I can take a step back and hope that these same coaches who pulled a damned good recruiting class out of their asses can do the same with our record next year.
Ok, first thing I noticed is that we are not a very big team. Despite what a report said before the start of spring practice, our players look small. Most noticeably are players on both lines. Where are all the bad 325# mofo's that we see all over other CFB programs these days and why are we devoid of them? We had a Matt Rolin sighting and now I see why the old coaches were trying to hide him...dude is about 195#. Same thing with Grier and Kelvin Taylor. Why won't or don't these guys gain weight. Taylor had some nice runs but also got clobbered by some walk on type players and seems timid at times about sticking his head into the hole when not much is there.

I thought QB play was decent but it's very hard to tell when not getting blitzed or playing behind the starting line. IMO Grier looked best but in reality he may have to use his legs more than he did yesterday once the season starts. What we all need to know about him is will he keep his eyes downfield as he starts to run or will he only look at where to run. Harris looks to be about the same player he was last year. Limited in the throws that he can make on a consistent basis. Still, I'm glad we got him. The other 2 QB's look like they could possibly play some but I'd rather not see it.

TE's look to have done almost a complete 180 degree turn from the last 2 years. The concern there is are they physical enough to block when needed? Goolsby is listed at 236# but Lewis and the other guys look small. Did Moral Stephens play? Anyway nice to see them actually do something other than block or run a 2 yard out on 3rd and 8 !!!

Robinson looked good as we all expected but we are still in need of 2 or 3 other guys to look D1 level on a consistent basis. The fact that the TE's are starting to actually work the field should allow someone other than Robinson to get loose every now and then.

Defense is pretty much what we all thought. I noticed that they didn't appear to be going all out at times in the game and it was mostly the starters. I think that is pretty normal for most spring game situations and we weren't going to learn a lot of schemes, blitzes or depth chart anyway. The big question now is the inside of the Dline and who gets the most reps. With the emergence of Bryan, what happens to Holley, Clark and Bostwick.

Your thoughts...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I liked seeing the TE being used quite a bit also and that we seem to be focusing a little on those quick fire passes that can help against a quick pass rush. I just didn't see anything that makes me think we will be able to get a defense to have to respect us enough not to be crowding the box. I think the run game may have some issues. I will have to look at it again but when we did ram the ball in pretty good down near the goal line I think a lot of backups on defense were in at the time. Lane literally got nothing but then again he was getting tackled right when he got the ball behind the line with some walk ons in there and Taylor was getting hit pretty quick also when going against the # 1 defense. As far as QB its hard to say but I just have the feeling whoever is in there is going to take a pretty good beating once SEC play starts and you have the blitzes and the rest. I would be shocked if one of our QBs can actually start every game next season. My prediction if we don't lose anymore linemen after Johnson is 6-6 to 8-4 depending on the defense and how the breaks go this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lane and Treon were running behind the walkon blue team OL against the orange team 1s on defense.

Their performances meant nothing.

It's comforting to have the Freshman All SEC QB returning along with a guy who may well be better than him. We'll need them both next year.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n207865 said:
With the emergence of Bryan, what happens to Holley, Clark and Bostwick.

Your thoughts...
Goldkamp says to keep an eye out for a possible transfer.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
crosscreekcooter;n207885 said:
Goldkamp says to keep an eye out for a possible transfer.

Thanks Cooter. too bad Willis turned out to be such a dip****. If Bostwick leaves we may end up missing him.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier can put it where it needs to be. He has to do it fast and can. Deep analysis of yesterday is a waste of time. We will still have O line problems barring some miracle transfers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n207865 said:
Same thing with Grier and Kelvin Taylor. Why won't or don't these guys gain weight. Taylor had some nice runs but also got clobbered by some walk on type players and seems timid at times about sticking his head into the hole when not much is there.
You don't need a fullback at QB, and I wouldn't trade him for any of the fullback wannabe QBs at Cowbell and so many other schools.

As for Taylor, he is what he is. He's shifty and a good one cut RB. I'm not sure adding weight does anything to help him. Like Jeff Demps, when you add weight to some guys, it doesn't make them Ron Dayne or Trent Richardson, it just makes them slower. Taylor isn't his father. He is never going to be 230lbs. He isn't going to be our third and 1 guy.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Defense, Dline and CB,s we are deep and talented, our strengths. Then safeties and LB in descending order, both have potential to come on strong We can be dominant and match up well against any team here.

Offense, WR, still not enough production nor consistency. I'm going to say lack of production from this group is 50% from being shut down by our bad azz DB's, 25% lack of development & 25% talent level signed the past few years. With Mac i believe we will see development in every position and we need him to get this group to play to their maximum potential. RB, KT did some good things, bounced the play a lot, that could be due to the oline not doing their job. Didn't see Lane like we saw in the bowl game, again maybe due to the line play, we will need those incoming RB's to learn the system and get touches in the season, Hopefully Scarlett is the real deal.

QB's Grier getting most of the 1st team snaps in practice showed he can get the job done, like all the QB's plenty of room for improvement, Treon did ok, he completed the passes but they weren't lasers nor crisp, Mac got on to him about his footwork, especially in the red zone, something positive about him is he is a gamer and has some experience already, so if he isn't named the starter and Grier turns in to a 'deer in the headlights' under real game pressure, we know he can step in and move the team. Morningwood, I suppose a team needs 4 scholly QB's so he fills a need. Guy, when he came in the 2nd half he actually did OK, with more time under Mac he might be a real sleeper.

TE, great to see them being used and catching the ball, they will help make up for lack of production from the receivers. Looks like a good group of players.

Oline, woe woe woe are we. We knew this last year, and the year before that.. not a surprise. Last year there was a slight improvement under Summer, I think he will continue to get this group to be better, they are just young and very inexperienced. Eventually we will have the depth and experience (2 years) The incoming freshmen unfortunately won't get the normal redshirt year of bulking up and practice before getting eased in to the rotation, Expect to see then play and get beat. (which will make the QB get rid of the ball quick)

Mac will develop an offense that covers our weakness the best he can. This year might be similar to 2012, win with defense, special teams and hope the offense doesn't turn the ball over and occasionally score.

Go Gators

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier only needs to be at a weight he is comfortable at.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LagoonGator68;n207894 said:
Grier only needs to be at a weight he is comfortable at.

True. However I'd feel a little better about him getting hit or laying at the bottom of a pile if he were in the 210- 215 range.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There really isn't much you can take away from this game. The reality is that this is a exhibition for the fans and the coaches aren't going to show much. The defense certainly wasn't going to be going 100% (thankfully).

The things I did notice that the OL looked horrible. Johnson may be done for his career and we are really low on depth. I did think the TEs looked good. The QB play was hard to judge. Both had some nice throws and plays.

I don't think you can judge any RB in this game with the OL we played, plus I would imagine the coaches told these guys to go down after contact vs. risk getting hurt.

Spring games are for the fans to see and be happy and give them something to talk about, but they don't tell you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb