Spring Games at UGA, LSU, Bama, and Tennessee

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some observations from Spring Games this weekend:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/saw-dawgs-tide-vols-tigers-spring-game-saturday/

Dawgs, Tide, Vols, Tigers on spring game Saturday

Yesterday, I wrote a column that highlighted what I wanted to see from Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and LSU in their spring games.

As is usually the case, there’s intrigue at the game’s most important position. I was really interested in the quarterback derby for the Volunteers, as Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano are competing to take over for Joshua Dobbs.

Getting away from the QBs, the Bulldogs are desperate to find more reliable receivers after having trouble reeling in passes the last two years. On the other side of the ball, the Crimson Tide have to retool their secondary with cornerback Marlon Humphrey and safety Eddie Jackson no longer on the roster. Both will be difficult to replace.

As for the Tigers, most of the focus is on new offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Needless to say, he inherits more talent than he ever had at Pittsburgh and N.C. State. But it’s time for the Bayou Bengals to step into the 21st century.

On a spring Saturday that loosely resembled what we can expect to see in the fall, he’s how I’m now answering my own questions.

GEORGIA
The receiving corps left a lot to be desired for the Bulldogs last year, plus Isaiah McKenzie is no longer in Athens after leaving early for the NFL.

To say the least, it wasn’t a good start for the receivers. Michael Chigbu dropped a contested ball on second down and then ran a poor route on third, which resulted in an overthrow and a three-and-out on the Black team’s initial drive.

On the Red team’s primary possession, Tyler Simmons fumbled after making a short catch, dropped a pass that hit him right in the hands and then gator-armed what could’ve been a big play downfield because he heard the safety’s footsteps. In a sloppy first quarter, neither squad had a wideout win a one-on-one matchup.

Finally, on the first snap of the second period, Javon Wims was credited with a 47-yard gain for Black when he outfought his defender on a go route. Shortly thereafter, Red got a 42-yard touchdown from Jeremiah Holloman on another fly pattern.

Overall, UGA still has concerns at wideout. On the bright side, it’s time to get exicted about Holloman, who is only an early-enrollee freshman.

ALABAMA
Half of last year’s starting secondary is gone, as Humphrey bolted for the pros and Jackson ran out of eligibility.

It certainly wasn’t a good beginning for some of the fresher-faced DBs. Quarterbacks Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa took a lot of shots downfield in the first half since their receivers were repeatedly beating single coverage.

In particular, converted wideout Trevon Diggs was getting torched on go routes repeatedly at the corner position. Even if he picked off Hurts in the second quarter, the ball just happened to find him in the end zone. Almost immediately thereafter, he went back to being a step or two slow over the top and giving up long completions.

USATSI_10025299_168381178_lowres.jpg

Credit: Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Corner Aaron Robinson (above) felt the wrath of early-enrollee freshman pass catcher Jerry Jeudy. On back-to-back plays in the second quarter, Jeudy went up and over Robinson for a pair of big gains. The second resulted in a gorgeous 29-yard TD strike.

Hurts and Tagovailoa combined to complete 13 passes of 20 yards or more, which suggests that the defensive backfield has a lot of work to do.

TENNESSEE
Fans of the Volunteers are no doubt happy to see Dobbs rising up draft boards, although that does little for their current QB situation.

It was an abbreviated performance, but Dormady, a rising junior, was quite impressive with a perfect 10-of-10 in the first half for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns. The second half had to be canceled due to lightning in the area.

Making lots of different throws from all kinds of platforms, Dormady connected with wideout Jauan Jennings for a 1-yard TD in the first quarter and then a 19-yard score to tight end Ethan Wolf in the second. While he isn’t regarded as much of an athlete, he moved in and out of the pocket rather well and displayed sound footwork.

As for Guarantano, a redshirt freshman, he’s being hyped as the next big thing in Knoxville. But he was only 4-of-5 for 41 yards and simply didn’t look as smooth as Dormady did at the controls, plus he got sacked twice.

It’s possible that Dormady has been somewhat underrated in this battle and Guarantano has been a bit overrated. Dormady seems to be the clear leader for now.

LSU
If the Tigers are ever going to revolutionize their archaic approach, then it needs to be done now under Canada.

Word out of Baton Rouge this spring is that the defense has had trouble with Canada’s new system, which is predicated on deception and features a ton of pre-snap shifts and motion. That’s a change from the previous OC, Cam Cameron.

Bad weather also put a damper on this one, as the second half had to be moved indoors and out of the public eye, but the Purple and White teams combined for only 135 total yards on 48 offensive snaps the first 30 minutes. That’s a measly 2.8 yards per play. Incumbent signal caller Danny Etling was an awful 4-of-13 for 53 yards with an interception.

Even Derrius Guice, the heir apparent to the departed Leonard Fournette in the backfield, managed just 12 yards on 6 carries and 1 reception for 5 yards. Canada’s two offenses were 2-of-11 on third down and allowed 5 sacks.

Did the scheme feel new and improved? It did to some degree. However, if the end results are the same, it’s all window dressing.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I watched that Tenn Spring game and that QB Dormady does look like he may be legit. He threw some nice passes on the money and seemed pretty comfortable with pressure on him. I know its a Spring game so I hope that doesn't tell us how he will play during the season.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I think Dormady has a chance to be pretty good. Dude is accurate as $hit! As for UGA they looked like themselves but with a stout young front 7. Kirby will have that defense tuned up by mid-season I'm afraid.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Eason completed 16 of 36 passes (44%) for 311 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and five sacks. He looked shaky at best.

The offensive line allowed Eason to get sacked 5 times. That's not a confidence builder.

The interception was an overthrow right into the hands of the safety. When asked about Eason's interception Smart said "just shouldn't happen to him at this point in time."

The receivers did drop a few balls, but that is a problem unto itself. On one play in the first quarter sophomore WR Tyler Simmons fumbled after catching the ball. The very next play he was all by himself and dropped a pass that hit him in the hands at chest level while he was standing still.

You can't tell a whole lot from a spring game, but that offense looks shaky.

Here's an interesting comparison from 2016:

Eason 6.57 YPA 55% Completion 16 TD 8 INT 120.3 QBR
Appleby 6.92 YPA 60.8% Completion 10 TD 7 INT 128.0 QBR

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think Dormady has a chance to be pretty good. Dude is accurate as $hit! As for UGA they looked like themselves but with a stout young front 7. Kirby will have that defense tuned up by mid-season I'm afraid.

UT fans were crying for Dormady to play last year (but that's common; root for the backup). I think he'll be a good QB there, how good? Who knows, but he has the tools and he has talent around him.

UGA's D is going to be very good, and talented. Their WR's are crap and OL is shaky, at best (as noted by 2222).

I think if LSU finds a QB their O is going to be much improved.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
UT fans were crying for Dormady to play last year (but that's common; root for the backup). I think he'll be a good QB there, how good? Who knows, but he has the tools and he has talent around him.

UGA's D is going to be very good, and talented. There WR's are crap and OL is shaky, at best (as noted by 2222).

Hopefully the UT QB just looked good cause it was a spring game, like Del Rio did last year. Couldn't stand if they started a winning streak against us.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

UGA's D is going to be very good, and talented. Their WR's are crap and OL is shaky, at best (as noted by 2222).

Yeah I agree...LSU will takeoff (under Canada) if they mess around and get the QB spot solidified. Did you notice that they played 1's vs 1's and all the QB's we're live? In my opinion that's the only way you have to find out what you truly have at every postion. I wish we did the same!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah I agree...LSU will takeoff (under Canada) if they mess around and get the QB spot solidified. Did you notice that they played 1's vs 1's and all the QB's we're live? In my opinion that's the only way you have to find out what you truly have at every postion. I wish we did the same!

The Canada hire made the Orgeron hire not so bad after all. If Orgeron lets him coach the O without interference (and they find a QB) they will be pretty damn good. The LSU O has been a handicap for about as long as ours has....

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The Canada hire made the Orgeron hire not so bad after all. If Orgeron lets him coach the O without interference (and they find a QB) they will be pretty damn good. The LSU O has been a handicap for about as long as ours has....
Yeah they have! There's no excuse for being that $hitty (on offense) with that much talent. As for O letting Canada run his offense...I think he will because of Canada's track record. That dude is one hell of a OC and will be a hot name for a head coaching job soon if he gets that offense firing on all cylinders.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Eason completed 16 of 36 passes (44%) for 311 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and five sacks. He looked shaky at best.

The offensive line allowed Eason to get sacked 5 times. That's not a confidence builder.

The interception was an overthrow right into the hands of the safety. When asked about Eason's interception Smart said "just shouldn't happen to him at this point in time."

The receivers did drop a few balls, but that is a problem unto itself. On one play in the first quarter sophomore WR Tyler Simmons fumbled after catching the ball. The very next play he was all by himself and dropped a pass that hit him in the hands at chest level while he was standing still.

You can't tell a whole lot from a spring game, but that offense looks shaky.

Here's an interesting comparison from 2016:

Eason 6.57 YPA 55% Completion 16 TD 8 INT 120.3 QBR
Appleby 6.92 YPA 60.8% Completion 10 TD 7 INT 128.0 QBR

Yep its hard to say for sure with these games. The opposite of above is Tenn's QB but the reality is probably in the middle for both. You would think Eason would improve with a year under his belt and with a better running game in their SEC games however. Eason had some games where their usual good running game was pretty bad last season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator