• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jake Allen couldn't lace John Brantleys jock strap.
Sad but true.

Brantley remains the QB of the decade w his two 2000 yard seasons, which probably wont be touched again til well into the 2020s.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sad but true.

Brantley remains the QB of the decade w his 2200 yard year.
People forget how good Brantley was in highschool. Not even close to comparable to jake allen. Thats about like comparing Tom Brady and the hefty lefty's nfl careers.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't austin applebee get the all decade QB label for us. I think he has the most yards and he was the mvp of the sec championship game. Pretty sure i saw him being carried off the field on the shoulders of the entire Alabama football team after that game.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jake Allen couldn't lace John Brantleys jock strap.

... how'd you know Brantley's jockstrap got torn, t ?

People forget how good Brantley was in highschool. Not even close to comparable to jake allen. Thats about like comparing Tom Brady and the hefty lefty's nfl careers.
... just a note = Kerwin Bell was Brantley's H.S. QB coach and OC.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, as the non-starting, off-the-bench QB, it's safe to say any passes he would've thrown would've been once the game had essentially been decided--one away or another--and therefore, would've carried little to no meaning.

I stand by my characterization.

Not true. His HS coach said the kid was good enough to start but because of his offense, he went with the kid who got a scholarship as a “WR” as his QB. He said he played Trask in the “2nd” and “6th” series of every game, no matter the score.... so not just meaningless mop up duty every week. And of course, lots of mop up duty, as I think they throttled most other teams.

Look, I don’t think Trask is EVER gonna be a starter here. But I also don’t think he’s as bad as some are characterizing him as. It’s not his fault he played at a HS where the coach preferred a WR who could throw a little, to a QB who could run a little. Unfortunately for Trask.... he may have that exact same problem under Mullin. But it’s possible he runs well enough to end up and stay 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

One things for sure, I’m glad we got EJ and we definitely need to keep improving the QB position!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't austin applebee get the all decade QB label for us. I think he has the most yards .
1400 yards.... beats all the Driskelish trash but no cigar.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Any chance we bring in a grad transfer QB? I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon Dawkins from AZ come in to at least provide depth and he is a spread option QB.

I haven't seen anything suggesting we're looking for a grad transfer QB. SDS and other sites have been reporting Alabama and UT are heavily involved in trying to land a grad transfer (the ECU kid to Alabama and the Stanford kid to UT)....but nothing discussing UF.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Five Players Who Must Step Up This Spring
GatorBait.net takes a look at five players who need to emerge this spring at positions of need for the Gators.

https://florida.247sports.com/Galle...layers-Who-Must-Step-Up-This-Spring-115549842

5. DE Elijah Conliffe, Sophomore
Moving to a 3-4 defensive scheme, Florida is light on the type of bodies that Conliffe brings to the mix as 6-foot-4, 317-pound prospect with the mobility to play a five-technique defensive end role. Florida will probably look to slim Conliffe down just a bit and take advantage of him in one of the end spots. He's exactly what you'd draw up if you were looking for an NFL frame at the position, so if he can take a big step forward this spring, the Florida defensive line instantly becomes much better.
4. OG Fredrick Johnson, Senior
Johnson has been in and out of the lineup over the last few years, mostly trading off with Tyler Jordan at guard when he's been healthy. Johnson's a player who has massive upside based on his frame but hasn't managed to develop into a consistent player as a pass-blocker or a routine road-grader in the run game. With a new offensive staff in place, he's the type of player who you'd typically expect could make a big jump with a different change in mentality and coaching style. With Brett Heggie limited this spring due to a knee injury, Johnson will get plenty of reps and he needs to take advantage.
3. S Jeawon Taylor, Junior
Chauncey Gardner should be pretty entrenched at one of the safety spots after a terrific end to the 2017 season, but the other safety spot figures to be up for grabs this spring. Taylor put together a decent end to the 2017 campaign, and he's got the size and physicality to be a real force. Importantly, if he is able to emerge quickly in the spring and show he can be a starter at safety, it gives the Florida coaches more flexibility to try some of the other safety types at cornerback and nickelback, where there's a huge need behind returning second-year players Marco Wilson and C.J. Henderson.
2. DT Tedarrell Slaton, Sophomore
Slaton is the only true nose tackle type for a 3-4 system that Florida has on the roster right now other than perhaps transfer Marlon Dunlap. He's got the massive frame to be able to eat space in the middle, but conditioning will be something to watch. Florida needs to get Slaton to the point that he can handle at least 30-40 snaps per game, because while Khairi Clark is a veteran presence inside, he hasn't been a real difference-maker even in a 4-3, and this scheme will require even more out of him. Slaton fits the mold and needs to make a big jump this spring.
1. TE C'yontai Lewis, Redshirt Senior
Florida's production at the tight end position last fall was absolutely abysmal last year, and now veteran DeAndre Goolsby is gone. Lewis has been pointed to as an emotional leader by teammates, but it's time for him to turn that into some production on the field now. Lewis has remained a very capable blocker, which should get him on the field in Dan Mullen's offense. Now it's time to shore up his hands, which have been a fairly consistent problem for him over the last few years, particularly in key situations. He has the potential to be a mismatch for opposing defenses if he can simply round out all aspects of his game and improve his consistency.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Conliffe is a beast from what I saw of him. He and Slaton demanded double teams as true freshmen and were our only guys who required that consistently. I don't have any doubts about them.

I don't expect much out of the rest of them. We play the wrong style of offense for Big Fred. Fred, Lil Taylor and Lewis just aren't particularly talened.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Johnson, Scott and Knox conclude pre-spring pressers

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...-scott-and-knox-conclude-pre-spring-pressers/

Brian Johnson

• It was an easy decision for Johnson to come coach at Florida.
• He feels good about the talent in the quarterback room right now.
• Johnson has coached a lot of mobile quarterbacks, and said he thinks the plays they can make on their feet change the game.
• The quarterback competition will be open for everyone. “Everybody’s kind of starting from ground zero.”
• Johnson said the strong relationship Emory Jones had with this coaching staff is what ultimately led to him flipping to Florida.
• Despite Feleipe Franks’ struggles last season, Johnson thinks he has some skills he can work with.
• “I truly believe there’s no better place in America to play quarterback than the University of Florida.”
• Johnson said Mullen is one of the best teachers he’s ever been around. “Some of those conversations that went way beyond football, I still carry with me.”

Larry Scott

• Scott said this coaching staff is full of great, genuine people, and he has a lot of respect for the loyalty they have for one another.
• He already had a relationship with some of Florida’s tight ends from recruiting them to Miami and Tennessee.
• He’s trying to get more out of Kemore Gamble than just his natural talent.
• “I love the fact that he [Mullen] loves the use of a tight end.”

Greg Knox

• “I told Dan when he hired me, the No. 1 thing was loyalty.”
• Jordan Scarlett is just now getting back into working out hard, so he looks like he’s still developing.
• Malik Davis is still limited. He is working on getting his weight up.
• He anticipates that every running back will play on special teams in some capacity.
• When he’s recruiting, he looks for dynamic running backs who can do a little bit of it all.
• Knox said he’s really excited to work with freshmen Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement. “They really work with determination.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Does CL think a little too highly of himself, or is he going to be better this year?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BC MY BLOCKS LEADS TO TOUCHDOWNS

:what2:

Dude......I just literally laughed out loud! And I don't do that much. That was my same thought. WTF is he talking about? Was he 'twittering while high'? I don't recall these supposed blocks he's speaking of....or him catching much of anything. But I like the confidence....until he misses a block or drops a pass....

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
Let’s be honest Trask will never start a game here. He will Get drafted in the 7th round of the draft as a flyer on specs and proceed to be backup quarterback in the NFL for 20 years never starting a single game.

He is the best football player to never play the game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Five Players Who Must Step Up This Spring
GatorBait.net takes a look at five players who need to emerge this spring at positions of need for the Gators.

https://florida.247sports.com/Galle...layers-Who-Must-Step-Up-This-Spring-115549842

5. DE Elijah Conliffe, Sophomore
Moving to a 3-4 defensive scheme, Florida is light on the type of bodies that Conliffe brings to the mix as 6-foot-4, 317-pound prospect with the mobility to play a five-technique defensive end role. Florida will probably look to slim Conliffe down just a bit and take advantage of him in one of the end spots. He's exactly what you'd draw up if you were looking for an NFL frame at the position, so if he can take a big step forward this spring, the Florida defensive line instantly becomes much better.
4. OG Fredrick Johnson, Senior
Johnson has been in and out of the lineup over the last few years, mostly trading off with Tyler Jordan at guard when he's been healthy. Johnson's a player who has massive upside based on his frame but hasn't managed to develop into a consistent player as a pass-blocker or a routine road-grader in the run game. With a new offensive staff in place, he's the type of player who you'd typically expect could make a big jump with a different change in mentality and coaching style. With Brett Heggie limited this spring due to a knee injury, Johnson will get plenty of reps and he needs to take advantage.
3. S Jeawon Taylor, Junior
Chauncey Gardner should be pretty entrenched at one of the safety spots after a terrific end to the 2017 season, but the other safety spot figures to be up for grabs this spring. Taylor put together a decent end to the 2017 campaign, and he's got the size and physicality to be a real force. Importantly, if he is able to emerge quickly in the spring and show he can be a starter at safety, it gives the Florida coaches more flexibility to try some of the other safety types at cornerback and nickelback, where there's a huge need behind returning second-year players Marco Wilson and C.J. Henderson.
2. DT Tedarrell Slaton, Sophomore
Slaton is the only true nose tackle type for a 3-4 system that Florida has on the roster right now other than perhaps transfer Marlon Dunlap. He's got the massive frame to be able to eat space in the middle, but conditioning will be something to watch. Florida needs to get Slaton to the point that he can handle at least 30-40 snaps per game, because while Khairi Clark is a veteran presence inside, he hasn't been a real difference-maker even in a 4-3, and this scheme will require even more out of him. Slaton fits the mold and needs to make a big jump this spring.
1. TE C'yontai Lewis, Redshirt Senior
Florida's production at the tight end position last fall was absolutely abysmal last year, and now veteran DeAndre Goolsby is gone. Lewis has been pointed to as an emotional leader by teammates, but it's time for him to turn that into some production on the field now. Lewis has remained a very capable blocker, which should get him on the field in Dan Mullen's offense. Now it's time to shore up his hands, which have been a fairly consistent problem for him over the last few years, particularly in key situations. He has the potential to be a mismatch for opposing defenses if he can simply round out all aspects of his game and improve his consistency.

Well I agree pretty much the entire team needs to step up, But I don’t agree that those are the top five guys. Here’s my top five:

1. Franks: How the hell could they not have a QB on this list? That’s the most important position and we don’t have one that can play. Somebody needs to step up.

2. CB #2: Who is that going to be? Henderson? Stewart? We need somebody on the opposite side of Wilson and they need to be a shutdown corner.

3. Clayton: Live up to your five star billing! And do that by actually getting on the field.

4: Shawn Davis: Be consistent and lock down the safety position.

5: Delance: Come in here and kick everyone’s ass like we expect you to. Take a position and fortify the OL.

The only reason I don’t have Scarlett on here is because I don’t think he can get any better with his blitz pick up and he’s going to struggle staying on the field with all these talented backs we have.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I hope this means the rumors of Gamble being unhappy are untrue and he sticks around:

New Florida TEs coach Larry Scott intends to push 4-star prospect Kemore Gamble to his potential

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-football-kemore-gamble-larry-scott-recruiting

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — As new Florida tight ends coach Larry Scott met with his personnel group for the first time, there was already a familiar face looking back at him.

When Scott was coaching at Miami, he had recruited 4-star Miami Southridge High School tight end Kemore Gamble, who was even committed to the Hurricanes for a time before flipping to the Gators.

“You can run, but you can’t hide. I told him, ‘You can run, but you can’t hide,'” Scott joked of his comments to Gamble upon joining Dan Mullen’s staff at Florida.

Scott, who spent the last two seasons at Tennessee and was the Vols’ offensive coordinator last year, was at Miami from 2013-15, serving as interim coach for the final six games of the 2015 season.

He says that even while pursuing Gamble back then he was pushing him, as he now plans to do at Florida, where the high-upside 6-foot-3, 255-pound tight end redshirted last fall after a preseason injury undermined his ability to compete for a role.

“He did commit to that other school down south. We’ve always had a relationship where through it all, it was all the other things that Kemore needed to do to be really good. So it’s always been kind of more of a father-son type of, ‘I’m going push you and take you places that you [can’t] necessarily take yourself,'” Scott said. “And that’s how it was in the process, even while I was recruiting him at Miami. Now that we’re back together and connected, we looked at each other and both kind of smiled. But he’s done a really good job and he’s continuing to grow. It’s going to be a process, but he’s up for it and he knows what he’s in for right now.”

Gamble was ranked the No. 7 tight end in the Class of 2017 (according to the 247Sports composite) and is part of a position group that includes veterans C’yontai Lewis and Moral Stephens as well as 4-star newcomer Kyle Pitts (the No. 5 TE in the Class of 2018) and 3-star signee Dante Lang.

Lewis is the established leader of the position with 29 career catches for 301 yards and 5 touchdowns over the last three seasons. Stephens emerged somewhat surprisingly last fall to catch 6 passes for 141 yards.

But there is no fixed depth chart yet. The new coaching staff will make its own determinations and evaluations.

It’s not that Gamble needed a fresh start of any kind, but it doesn’t hurt him that he is now paired with Scott, who got to know him and his potential through the recruiting process.

That said, Scott made it clear that Gamble still has plenty to prove, and he intends to stay on him about doing just that.

“I think he’s one of those kids that’s learning how to transition into playing at this level of football. Being from Miami Southridge, I think he was part of a state championship there and competed with some very talented kids on his team and in the area, but this is still another whole level and speed of life, from the classroom to the high academic standard that goes on here to the high standard — the Gators standard — he has to live up to and produce up to each and every day,” Scott said.

“He’s still very young in the process of learning how to do all this on a daily basis and compete, do all those things. But is the natural talent level there? Yes. Do we have to tap into some other things to get the very best out of him? Yes. Because he does have more. And he’s going to realize that. I’m going to continue to tell him he has more all the time. He’s receiving it. He’s working hard. He’s being pushed out of his comfort zone, but he’s learning what that’s all about. It’s kind of fun to watch him grow through these phases that he’s going through right now. I think ultimately he’ll get there when he gets there. The hype and some of those things, the talent level he has, we’ll start to get what he has out of him.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need somebody on the opposite side of Wilson and they need to be a shutdown corner.
Mehhhhhhhhh.... none of the SEC east teams have heard of the forward pass. Neither has Slick Willy Urkel-Harballs nor LSU.

We could run a walkon out there and it would hardly be noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.