• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m curious to see where Iverson Clement plays. Did someone say he was starting at receiver?

Watkins tape looked excellent. He was electric wherever he lined up on the field. I could see him being an excellent nickel corner or slot receiver.

Does Chauncey play corner next year?

Is Amari Burney gonna be a linebacker?

Kyle Pitts is the biggest recruit coming in nobody is talking about. His tape is fantastic and he could be a difference maker for us early on. Does he play in somewhat of an H-back role, tight end, or even as a big wide receiver in the red zone occasionally?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I don't count the kid from St Thomas Aquinas out. Who knows, we have had special surprises with Kerwin and Shane. It's going to be fun to see what Mullen does at all positions.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think Mullen is likely still looking for who is going to fill that Pumper position on GC seeing as how Mac drove off any decent pumpers we had.

I also hear since Nord left, we have nobody picking up 'the worm' responsibilities. This may hurt us in recruiting later on.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking that the in 2016 & 2017 we got an influx of athletes who were long-time training/playing decent high school football. They actually went backwards in skills, after exposure to (#1) the confusing, incompetent, lazy coaching/practicing of Mac&crew, then (#2) Mac's faked and quitting demotivation suffocation. Those past Gators have got to be primed for a surge upward. Add our better recruits for 2018, both impact players & better backups and the results could bring sharp improvement back to the Fighting Gators.

Basically, there's no way to measure the ruin that McElwain instituted here. It was like sabotage. Think about his & wifey's joy walking off the field after the WLOCP in Jax. That was who our kids had leading them?

Our young players sure have a "gr82baGator" coach-crew now. Everyone should be training & playing inspired now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I’m curious to see where Iverson Clement plays. Did someone say he was starting at receiver?

Watkins tape looked excellent. He was electric wherever he lined up on the field. I could see him being an excellent nickel corner or slot receiver.

Does Chauncey play corner next year?

Is Amari Burney gonna be a linebacker?

Kyle Pitts is the biggest recruit coming in nobody is talking about. His tape is fantastic and he could be a difference maker for us early on. Does he play in somewhat of an H-back role, tight end, or even as a big wide receiver in the red zone occasionally?

I think Burney starts at Safety. He's big enough to play LB, but not sure if he's big enough in this system. He could certainly play closer to the LOS at his size, but (imo) his position will be Safety.

Clement is interesting and I hadn't thought about him at any position other than RB, but he's an athlete so he could end up at WR (or on defense?). I'm curious to see where they put Watkins as well. He's apparently very good w/ the ball in his hands...but could make a good CB if he puts on 10-15 pounds.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is from a Q&A on Will Miles site:

Does Scarlett retake the starting job? @wes_yount

Jordan Scarlett is a good running back, and based on 247Sports composite rankings, he has the highest rating of any of the running backs on Florida’s roster (117th nationally). But he’s only averaged 5.0 yards per carry in his career, which is good but not spectacular (for reference, Georgia had three players who averaged more than 6.0 yards per rush in 2017).

There were 122 backs (who qualified for the NCAA rushing title) who averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry in 2017. There were 281 backs who qualified, which puts Scarlett’s performance as slightly better than average.

He’s also going to be competing for carries with Malik Davis, Lamical Perine, Adarius Lemons, Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement. This doesn’t even take into account the carries that will undoubtedly go to Kadarius Toney, Emory Jones and Justin Watkins.

I think people are underestimating two things about Scarlett. First, it is really difficult to take a year off from a sport and remain healthy, let alone play well. But second – and perhaps more relevant – is Scarlett was really bad at pass protection in his first two seasons. If that doesn’t improve – based on the increased discipline I expect to see – Mullen isn’t going to let him play, let alone start.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is from a Q&A on Will Miles site:

Does Scarlett retake the starting job? @wes_yount

Jordan Scarlett is a good running back, and based on 247Sports composite rankings, he has the highest rating of any of the running backs on Florida’s roster (117th nationally). But he’s only averaged 5.0 yards per carry in his career, which is good but not spectacular (for reference, Georgia had three players who averaged more than 6.0 yards per rush in 2017).

There were 122 backs (who qualified for the NCAA rushing title) who averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry in 2017. There were 281 backs who qualified, which puts Scarlett’s performance as slightly better than average.

He’s also going to be competing for carries with Malik Davis, Lamical Perine, Adarius Lemons, Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement. This doesn’t even take into account the carries that will undoubtedly go to Kadarius Toney, Emory Jones and Justin Watkins.

I think people are underestimating two things about Scarlett. First, it is really difficult to take a year off from a sport and remain healthy, let alone play well. But second – and perhaps more relevant – is Scarlett was really bad at pass protection in his first two seasons. If that doesn’t improve – based on the increased discipline I expect to see – Mullen isn’t going to let him play, let alone start.

No way he would beat out a 100% healthy Davis but if Davis misses the Spring he will have a headstart on him to maybe win the job early.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Burney starts at Safety. He's big enough to play LB, but not sure if he's big enough in this system. He could certainly play closer to the LOS at his size, but (imo) his position will be Safety.

Clement is interesting and I hadn't thought about him at any position other than RB, but he's an athlete so he could end up at WR (or on defense?). I'm curious to see where they put Watkins as well. He's apparently very good w/ the ball in his hands...but could make a good CB if he puts on 10-15 pounds.

I agree with you. I think Burney will be starting SS in 2 years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No way he would beat out a 100% healthy Davis but if Davis misses the Spring he will have a headstart on him to maybe win the job early.

Gators RB Malik Davis ‘coming along well’ in recovery from season-ending knee injury

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ll-in-recovery-from-season-ending-knee-injury

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — New Florida running backs coach Greg Knox said Gators standout Malik Davis is “coming along well” after his season-ending knee injury last fall, but he couldn’t speak to any timeline for Davis’ return to action.

“He’s limited in certain things he does throughout our workouts, agility stuff. I think one thing we talked about was his weight, getting his weight up. We’ll take him through spring and just see how he does,” Knox said Thursday.

“I don’t know [his availability] right now. That will be left up to our trainer, how they see his progression coming along from the surgery and everything, so we’ll just play it day by day with him.”

As Knox was addressing Davis’ availability in the spring, a follow-up question was asked whether that means he’s confident Davis would be available by the fall.

“Again, that goes back to our trainers. I take everything I get from the trainers, evaluate that and look at it. Then they’ll tell me how much to use him, how much I can’t use him, when I can use him, when I can’t use him,” Knox said. “So everything will be dictated from his rehab progression and where he’s at and what our training staff feels he’s capable of doing.”

Davis sustained a serious season-ending knee injury during Florida’s loss to Georgia on Oct. 28. The specifics of the injury were never released, and Davis’ family has declined to speak about his recovery process out of respect for the running back’s privacy.

So it has been a mystery as to how long the injury will sideline him or how realistic it would be for him to rejoin the mix at running back in 2018.

Davis was off to an incredible freshman season last fall, rushing for 526 yards and 2 touchdowns on a team-leading 6.7 yards per carry prior to the injury.

He had received only 1 carry in the opener and turned 4 carries into 94 yards in the Gators’ second game, against Tennessee, before earning a larger workload. He’d end up with five straight games of at least 90 rushing yards, and his average in those games (99.6 YPG) had him on pace to become the first Florida freshman to lead the team in rushing since Fred Taylor in 1994 and the first Gators back to rush for 1,000 yards in his first college season since Emmitt Smith in 1987.

The injury was a crushing blow to Davis and the Gators, robbing the offense of a breakout star and one of its few positives from last season.

Whenever he does return, Davis will join a crowded backfield that was boosted with the reinstatement of 2016 starter Jordan Scarlett, who was suspended all of last season while opening the door for Davis.

Additionally, junior Lamical Perine returns as the Gators’ leading rusher (562 yards, 8 TDs). Sophomore Adarius Lemons showed his potential at the end of the season (7.2 yards per carry on 19 attempts) and 4-star freshman newcomers Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement join the mix as well.

But Florida fans certainly would love to see a healthy Davis back on the field.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida QBs coach talks Feleipe Franks, Emory Jones and open competition

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...leipe-franks-emory-jones-and-open-competition

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Spring practice is still a few weeks away, but the evaluation process has already begun as it pertains to Florida’s latest spotlight quarterback competition.

New Gators quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson said Thursday that he watched all of incumbent starter Feleipe Franks’ tape from last fall, even went back and watched some Florida tape from last spring before Kyle Trask got injured, and he’s also been through just about every play of newcomer Emory Jones’ 2017 high school film.

“It’s going to be open. We’ll put everybody in the position to see what they can do. The beauty of us all coming in, and I talked to the guys about this [Wednesday], is that everybody is kind of starting from the same spot in terms of learning our offense,” Johnson said.

“[Franks] might have some advantages in having played in SEC football games before, but from a standpoint of us practicing and putting in the offense, everybody is kind of starting from ground zero.”

Franks is the only quarterback on the roster with any college experience, but it was a rough redshirt freshman season for him last fall. He completed 54.6 percent of his passes for 1,438 yards, 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions while starting all but three games — twice losing that job only to regain it following an injury to another quarterback.

Trask, meanwhile, lost the spring quarterback competition to Franks last year and missed the entire season with a foot injury. He’ll also be a redshirt sophomore in 2018, but without any game experience. Redshirt freshman Jake Allen also did not see the field last season.

Then there’s Jones, the 4-star dual-threat prospect from LaGrange, Ga., who flipped from a commitment to Ohio State and chose the Gators over Alabama and Florida State during the early signing period. He’s been on campus since last month, going through the offseason strength-and-conditioning program with his new teammates.

And it’s only natural for many to view him as Florida’s quarterback of the future, as he is the only true dual-threat quarterback on the roster and the only one recruited by this coaching staff.

Johnson was asked Thursday how realistic it is to think Jones could start as a freshman.

“At the end of the day, we’re going to play the best guy that we feel gives us the opportunity to go out there and compete at a high level,” he said. “That’s difficult for me to say right now without having seen him in the live practice situation with our guys yet. So I don’t know if I can fully answer that question, but he’s going to get every opportunity to get out there and compete and showcase his talent and see how he fits.”

The spring (and fall) quarterback competition has become an annual tradition for the Gators, who have been searching for another star at the position since Tim Tebow left after the 2009 season. For that matter, the program has been searching for any stability whatsoever at the position for too long now.

The addition of new coach Dan Mullen, who was Tebow’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during the last glory era for the program, brings renewed optimism. As does the move to a spread offense and the addition of a highly touted prospect who chose the Gators over other top programs.

But while the evaluation process is underway, the real competition hasn’t even begun.

“I’m excited to get to spring ball and see what these guys can do in a real football setting,” Johnson said. “But when I first got here I turned on all the game film and turned on some film from spring before Kyle got hurt and got a chance to see what he could do and obviously we recruited Emory. So I feel good about what we have in the room. I think those guys are all talented in their own unique ways and they all kind of have a different skill set. What we have to do as an offensive staff is just find out a way to put our guys in a position to be successful and highlight what they do best.”

Johnson was groomed by Mullen early in his career at Utah, as a freshman backup to future No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith. After launching his coaching career with the Utes and eventually becoming their offensive coordinator, Johnson rejoined Mullen as the quarterbacks coach at Mississippi State from 2014-16. He was the offensive coordinator/QB coach at Houston last season before rejoining Mullen yet again at Florida.

In speaking on what he and Mullen and this tight-knit offensive coaching staff look for in a quarterback, Johnson highlighted the intangibles.

“There’s a certain talent required to play at this level. But I think the things that go underrated or unnoticed, the first thing you want is physical and mental toughness. You need a guy that can be the face of your program and be able to handle success, be able to handle adversity,” he said. “I think those are two aspects that [are] kind of a starting point for us. We want someone that’s tough, that can be a leader, that can process information and make decisions and has some ‘It’ factor.”

The chief criticism of Franks last season was his decision making, his proclivity to hone in on one receiver and not scan or see the full field, and what appeared at times to be a lack of comfort at the line of scrimmage.

To be fair, he was playing in an offense that had mostly struggled all three seasons under the previous coaching staff with a number of quarterbacks.

The lack of progress week to week, from the start of the season to the end, has caused many to turn the page on Franks, but the new staff will give him a fresh start and a chance to make a second first impression.

“The biggest thing that I see is the ability. He made plays when he had opportunities to make plays and then he obviously had some plays that I’m sure he would love to have back,” Johnson said of Franks. “But you can see the talent, you can see some of the ability that he has as a quarterback and as a passer and even as a runner. … He has some tools that we definitely can work with and get the best out of him.”

As for Jones, he was the first major recruiting win for Mullen, as he and his staff had less than a month after getting hired in late November to secure one of the coveted quarterbacks by the early signing period in late December.

They had a prior connection with Jones that played a key role in his decision to choose Florida.

“I remember it very vividly. He came on a junior day [to Mississippi State] with him and his mom. They drove down and we got a chance to kind of spend the afternoon with him and take him around campus and just kind of building that relationship,” Johnson said.

“I think it just kind of goes to show how relationships matter because, you know, we had gotten to a point where obviously I wasn’t recruiting him at Houston and Dan wasn’t recruiting him at State, but he remembered that relationship and he remembered how people treated him when he was around us and I think that played a huge role in his decision to come play quarterback at the University of Florida.”

As for the potential he sees in Jones as a quarterback …

“What I saw specifically on film was his ability to make plays in a bunch of different ways, as a passer, as a runner, checking the ball down, getting good progressions, being able to move in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield,” Johnson said. “Just things of that nature that show up that is kind of a prerequisite for good quarterback play.”

It’s also no secret that Mullen and his staff have had their best success with mobile quarterbacks. As Johnson mentioned, Franks has the athleticism to get out of the pocket and move, while Jones is a more prototypical dual-threat quarterback. But he hasn’t been through a college practice, hasn’t been evaluated at this level, and until that happens nobody knows for sure how he’ll adapt and perform.

Just as nobody knows how Franks will take to a new coaching staff and Florida’s new spread offense. Or what Trask or Allen can show in their opportunities.

However it ends up, Florida’s quarterback competition will be the story of spring practice and fall camp. Again.

And this coaching staff knows as well as anyone the expectations for that position, even if it’s been awhile since the reality met that standard.

“Absolutely. I truly believe there is no better place in America to play quarterback than the University of Florida,” Johnson said. “You walk right outside that stadium and you see three Heisman Trophy-winner statues out there. That excites me as a position coach.

“Coach Mullen always talks about the Gators standard. To me, that’s what the Gators standard is. We have some huge shoes to fill in that room, and we’re definitely up for the challenge.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can always tell without looked at the link that its fvkking Bowl bc he mentions Trash, like that high school backup will be anywhere near the field.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Im struggling to recall any success of that season. That he almost scored vs Ugly? That he got blown the fvkk out by a Big East team. That he scored two tds vs TAM and LSU using the goalline offense and 7 offensive linemen?

Where is the success?

That was a down year, a "maybe we will compete for championships next year" sort of season.

Of course, the other last eight years of the Fooley Era were of the fire those idiots on the spot variety.

Well, that was the last year we beat the Noles

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't count the kid from St Thomas Aquinas out. Who knows, we have had special surprises with Kerwin and Shane. It's going to be fun to see what Mullen does at all positions.

I watched Allen a couple of times at STA. Keep in mind that they recruit nationally and have 4* & 5* recruits all over the field so a huge talent advantage over most teams they play plus a very well-honed system. He was ok in that scenario. But his arm didn’t look strong nor was he particularly accurate.

The hope would be he could be an efficient McElroy-type. That’s unlikely anywhere and not the direction Mullen will go. His only hope is to follow Alex Smith’s path. Smith was a pocket passer who adapted to Meyer’s & Mullen’s system, learned to run and was an accurate passer. And he’s tough as nails. Allen needs to put on 50lbs of muscle, become a sharp reader of defenses pre-snap and decision maker post-snap, run and improve his accuracy.

Not impossible but that’s a lot to learn and he’s competing with Jones who has all of that already plus better physical tools and Franks who has much better size, arm and some experience (not saying that makes him ready or capable.)

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It all starts at QB. If Jones is one of those freshman that can play well right away in the SEC, then that could make 2018 a memorable if up & down year.

If simplified reads and better coaching help Franks, he could improve dramatically. I don’t expect this, but it is possible. How much of his baby giraffe style was due to poor planning, coaching, OL, etc.? Or is that just who he is?

I think they’ll settle on 6-7 DBs that will comprise a very solid secondary with ball-hawking skills.

I think they’ll try to find 6-7 guys who can play LB, with a couple flexing to a 4th hand-down DL in certain looks.

They should be in pretty good shape at DT and DE.

And I think there are a handful of guys that can play 2 positions and thus help mask the call. Who is the 4tb or 5th rusher? Who is in the flat? Is that a nickel or OLB or FS?

OL - every year I hope. This year I hope in Hevesy but realize it may take a year or two for him to develop his guys. But they will have a huge effect on how well our QB plays.

WR & TE - I hope they can find 5-6 guys who can really play out of that group. Which would be an increase from the 0-2 we’ve had in any of the last 9 years.

RB - good group and I really hope Davis can come back at full strength.

Overall it is a transition year. I can’t expect all the questions will get resolved by October. They’ll likely be thinking too much at a lot of spots and injuries would be critical at several spots. I’m looking for progress more than results. Show us and future recruits some real hope. And have fun in the process.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'm thinking that the in 2016 & 2017 we got an influx of athletes who were long-time training/playing decent high school football. They actually went backwards in skills, after exposure to (#1) the confusing, incompetent, lazy coaching/practicing of Mac&crew, then (#2) Mac's faked and quitting demotivation suffocation. Those past Gators have got to be primed for a surge upward. Add our better recruits for 2018, both impact players & better backups and the results could bring sharp improvement back to the Fighting Gators.

Basically, there's no way to measure the ruin that McElwain instituted here. It was like sabotage. Think about his & wifey's joy walking off the field after the WLOCP in Jax. That was who our kids had leading them?

Our young players sure have a "gr82baGator" coach-crew now. Everyone should be training & playing inspired now.

Yeah, it's as if we have a team essentially in 12-step rehab mode. The first step is admitting that there was a problem - in this case it was Foley, and his lame-ass hires (especially McNumb) and his brain-dead, penny pinching "business" decisions. Nothing was possible as long as that incompetent, ego monkey, ass-hat was in charge. It still pisses me off to see him on the sidelines, trying to be some kind of "program elder." The only constructive thing that loser can do for UF is go to the hell away and let the healing begin in earnest. At least McNumb is now far, far away, grinning like the imbecile he his, picking some one else's pocket and ruining some one else's players for fun and profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.