Spurrier: I don't miss the coaching grind. It's different now than the 90s

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The Ole Ball Coach has been making the rounds lately, doing a lot of interviews. Good to hear from The Greatest Gator of all-time!

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...coaching-grind-Its-different-now-than-the-90s

Steve Spurrier: I don't miss the coaching grind. It's different now than the 90s

Steve%20Spurrier%202-8.png

Steve Spurrier doesn’t miss the work that comes with coaching, and it’s only getting harder.

Recruiting has become year-round, and beginning next year, high school juniors can take official visits from April to late June. It ain’t like it used to be.

I don’t miss the grind. Now it’s a bigger grind with the new recruiting rules,” Spurrier said Friday on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “These coaches are recruiting all summer, now have official visits in June or whatever. It’s really a different style of coaching than it was in the 90s, when I was here.”

The NCAA and conferences have passed more rules to limit work time by players, whether it’s practice, academic time or other requirements. But Spurrier would like to to see more time completely away for players and coaches.

He recounted how some people used to criticize him for golfing in the summer and maybe taking more time off than most. But if there’s no time to recharge, you burn out.

“Our rules could be changed a bit to give players more off time, as well as the coaches,” he said. “I was always accused of playing a little golf during the summer and not working as hard as everybody else, but we all work hard. There used to be seasons. Football season, where we all work our tails off as hard as we can. Then there’s recruiting season, where we recruit our tails off and they sign. Then you have a little down time. Spring ball comes around, summer camps, and maybe a couple months off in the summer time.

Now it’s turned into year-round recruiting, players visiting on their own through the summer. Then we keep the team there all summer. I think it would be fair to only have one summer school and give them time off. The NFL has changed a lot of their rules, limited practice in the offseason. I think we’d have just a good of a product without consuming all the time of players and coaches.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gee, I wonder if all this heightened recruiting intensity has any impact at all on the swelled brains of some of the athletes who arrive on campus.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With age, comes wisdom... glad I witnessed the Greatest Fun & Gun Show on Earth. Go Gators!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Words of wisdom, now if only he can raise enough money to do all those wonderful facilities that some around her insist will improve our recruiting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
With age, comes wisdom... glad I witnessed the Greatest Fun & Gun Show on Earth. Go Gators!

Exactly Spurrier certainly understands that if he said he missed coaching in anyway reporters would immediately run to McElwain and ask him if he felt pressure from Spurrier wanting to get back into coaching. Now whether age has anything to do with it or not, I don't know. I suspect he has long understood when he was in a position where he was only allowed to give one answer.

This situation is of course one where he could only give one answer. That also means his answer sheds no light on the question.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Words of wisdom, now if only he can raise enough money to do all those wonderful facilities that some around her insist will improve our recruiting.
Spock, we are still in the top 10 or so in revenue. There has NEVER been a revenue problem. There has always been a slumlord AD problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.