Spurrier, Meyer, Mullen? How Gators’ new coach resembles past national champions

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a Buddy Martin story....so take it w/ a huge grain of salt...

Spurrier, Meyer, Mullen? How Gators’ new coach resembles past national champions

http://gridironnow.com/dan-mullen-resembles-national-champions/

We gotta stop this stuff, Gator Nation. We’re getting all mushy about Dan Mullen, who’s been on the job less than three months. He hasn’t called a play yet for Florida, let alone won a game. He just simply can’t be that good, can he?

Part of it is the “Love At First Sight” syndrome. OK, maybe “Love at Second Sight” because we already knew the guy from his days as an Urban Meyer assistant.

Mostly, though, it’s the “fresh start” syndrome. Have you ever awakened from a bad dream and been just thankful it wasn’t real? That’s kind of what most folks in the Gator Nation are feeling after the past eight years.

I must admit, the more I hear him speak, the more I like Mullen. Maybe because so many things he does remind me of the two national champion coaches at Florida.

Part of the reason? I decided to make a list.

These are the similarities I see in Mullen, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer:

1. A brilliant offensive football mind (both Spurrier and Meyer)

2. Sensational play-caller (Spurrier)

3. Strategic, has a plan to win (Meyer)

4. Can develop three-star prospects into four- and five-star players (Both)

5. Super-competitive and hates to lose (both)

6. Passionate (both)

7. Thrilled to be on the job at Florida and makes football fun (Spurrier)

8. A superb recruiter (Meyer)

9. Loves the challenge of being the underdog (Spurrier)

10. Swagger: Cocky, brash, gutsy (Spurrier)

There are other similar traits, but we must await the heat of battle – such as timing on when to go for it on fourth down, call the gimmick play, run a fake punt or go for the onside kick. And on that count, both Spurrier and Meyer were gifted.

Oddly enough, just going off my list, I realize I have cast Mullen as more like Spurrier than his old boss. I’m not so sure that’s true, but we shall see.

There is this other thing: Like Spurrier, Mullen wears a visor.

Hmmmmmmm.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can't a downtrodden fan base dream a little :lol3:

Merciless, sarcastic bully is our Spurrier
Dirty, sneaky Don Corleone is our Meyer

Now, where's Dan? I sure hope he has a little in your face, kiss my grits in him... we need a good kick start to get back some League publicity. Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. A brilliant offensive football mind (both Spurrier and Meyer)

2. Sensational play-caller (Spurrier)
:drunk2:

Mullen, Mr 100+ offense is a brilliant offense football mind and a sensational play caller?

He must have been deep into a bottle of whiskey when he wrote that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last year he was 105th ish in passing offense.

He hovers in the 60-90th. That's exactly what we should expect for the next three years.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

He hovers in the 60-90th. That's exactly what we should expect for the next three years.

Maybe. He appears to have high expectations and he has to know it will take more scheming and planning and hopefully tweaking and improving the offense to be able to contend. Lets hope he knows how to bring back some fun in the swamp. Maybe he will turn up the passing game...right now this is wishful thinking but he has to do something different than he has been doing.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014

MSU was 43rd in TO this year.

44th last year

34th in 2015

10th in 2014

42nd in 2013

Average of 34th in total offense over the last 5 seasons.

I feel like you love being wrong.

Edit: maybe you’re strictly talking passing offense. But a better O in general is something I’d bet the farm on and with our talent i’d be shocked if we weren’t consistently top 30. Fitzgerald isnt a good passing qb by any stretch of the imagination. Hes lived up to his super low 3 star billing but he is one of greatest running qbs in SEC history. They found what worked with him and made him extremely successful with it.

Last edited:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MSU was 43rd in TO this year.

44th last year

34th in 2015

10th in 2014

42nd in 2013

Average of 34th in total offense over the last 5 seasons.

I feel like you love being wrong.
We would’ve won the SEC at least twice in the last 8 years if we could’ve replicated even that amount of offensive productivity. I expect him to surpass that at UF.

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We would’ve won the SEC at least twice in the last 8 years if we could’ve replicated even that amount of offensive producvitivy. I expect him to surpass that at UF.
Woulda won the ‘12 title undefeated with a 40th rated offense. Barely lost to Georgia because of Reed, and a few other things obviously. That defense was legendary

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I've been saying this since he was hired. He is a good coach not great and he had 4 cupcakes and UK every year so he had a 7 game season every year. Well I say that but he did lose to the cupcake teams at times. I don't know why any gator fan would be excited to have him as our coach unless they dont care about contending for national championships and are just happy it's not Mac.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Passing numbers are overrated in the spread option. It's total offense and what you do with it. If the QB sees a running lane and gets 15 yards, I'm good with it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Passing numbers are overrated in the spread option. It's total offense and what you do with it. If the QB sees a running lane and gets 15 yards, I'm good with it.
Yeah I get it. And when the QB gets hurt, and the offense sucks worse, it is just bad luck, right?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I get it. And when the QB gets hurt, and the offense sucks worse, it is just bad luck, right?
That's why Meyer and Mullen like big guys behind center.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Prescott to his credit did throw for a ton of yards in 2015. It can be done.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know. Ive see this shyt before already.
I know. You like the vertical passing game. I do, too. I esp liked it going into the '96 Fiesta, where we got steamrolled by a Mullen offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I know. Twice in 11 years Mulkinz has averaged a little better than that 200-225 yards of passing per game. (Too be fair those are big numbers for a Notre Dame 1950s veer offense.)

If the QB reads too many in the box presnap, then and only then does he pass. But some of those bastards disguise their coverage and have the SS dive inside late before the lemur offense can respond. Bastards!

I feel like we ve done this argument before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.