Spurrier retiring NOW

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
SOS would not be a good AD. However, if he took on that job, and was willing to let whatever football coach do his job...that school would have the best golf course in the NCAA.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n296558 said:
The whole thing about Spurrier and not recruiting is a bunch of crap. It may be true that he personally doesn't get as involved as some coaches, but his UF teams were loaded with talent, with several consensus #1 recruiting classes and tons of NFL talent. I imagine the talent he brought to South Carolina, while not quite to UF standards, was far higher than what South Carolina historically got.
By several, you mean one? The one with Brock Berlin and all those 4 and 5 star studs?

BTW, who let YOU out of PF? WTF is going on around here?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This is why we can't have nice things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Congrats Spurrier on an amazing career!!!!!! Come home to The Swamp where you belong!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Worse things could happen to the Gator nation than Spur dog stop coaching a in Division rival.

Just a strange day.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing - USCw and USCe lose both their Steve's in the same day. Of course, USCw's has some REAL problems that USCe's doesn't have.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier putting UF first and trying to take the heat off of the Grier suspension. My favorite Gator, one Stephen Orr Spurrier. Welcome home, Steve.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
oxrageous;n296495 said:
Why would they force him out in the middle of the season? Was he raising hell or something?
I'd bet money it went something like this, AD Calls him in for meeting.

AD: Steve you know how much we appreciate what you've done for USC, but we want to let you know this is going to be your last year. We've decided to go in a different direction and will be starting the preliminary vetting process of a coaching search and didn't want to do it behind your back.

SOS: Go bleep yourself. You can start that search right now, I quit.

Assuming this is how it went down, it's still not too cool to leave the players high and dry, but after he put them on the map he probably felt like they owed him better.

Speaking of their players, didn't they just get a verbal from a top WR? :headscratch:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n296609 said:
I'd bet money it went something like this, AD Calls him in for meeting.

AD: Steve you know how much we appreciate what you've done for USC, but we want to let you know this is going to be your last year. We've decided to go in a different direction and will be starting the preliminary vetting process of a coaching search and didn't want to do it behind your back.

SOS: Go bleep yourself. You can start that search right now, I quit.

Assuming this is how it went down, it's still not too cool to leave the players high and dry, but after he put them on the map he probably felt like they owed him better.

Speaking of their players, didn't they just get a verbal from a top WR? :headscratch:
Nah, bruh. The Vandycocks would keep SOS as long as he wanted to stay. I'm just surprised he wanted to stay as long as he did.

He doesnt like to lose. He did the same thing in the NFL. Walked away from countless millions.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n296561 said:
When Spurrier announced he was leaving Florida didn't he still the headlines from some other big story that had just came out? Can't remember what it was but he stole the spotlight.

I think it was the morning after the BCS championship, instead of everybody talking about the coCanes and Ken Dorsey they were talking about Spurrier.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tanner, for the great baseball coach he was, is a poor AD. Wouldn't shock me at all to see them completely botch the next hire. I sure hope Shannon or Nuss is not on their radar.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Ben Hill Griffin deserves the stadium name for more than the money he gave.

[FONT=proxima_regular]"Spurrier wasn’t the first choice of UF athletic director Bill Arnsparger, who wanted LSU coach Mike Archer to succeed Galen Hall. It took some persuasion by Ben Hill Griffin (yes, the stadium is named after him) for Spurrier to get the job. As legend has it, Mr. Griffin told Arnsparger, “Bill, Steve Spurrier is going to be the football coach here. You don’t have to be the athletic director.”[/FONT]

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have a lot to say about SOS and Fla Football fortunes..............................................just not right now. He did the right thing. They now have more time to find a new coach and he was honest enough to say I aint got it anymore. He turned 70 this year. Anyone here really know what 70 is like, especially with a job like that?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n296618 said:
Tanner, for the great baseball coach he was, is a poor AD. Wouldn't shock me at all to see them completely botch the next hire. I sure hope Shannon or Nuss is not on their radar.

I'm fairly certain South Carolina is about to return to their glory days of competing with Vandy annually for the SECe.basement.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ya' gotta love him. They broke the mold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator