Spurrier's Book

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
So, besides exams over the last few weeks, I've also read a number of books. Th one that got me in a reading kick was Spurrier's autobiography. I could not recommend this book enough for any gator. It's an easy read that not only is great college football nostalgia, but even a great look at both leadership and relationships with people.

The book starts off with Spurrier discussing his decision to retire just a few days after a flood caused a game to be moved to Baton Rouge.

Spurrier's recruitment involved many coaches whose names are on Stadiums around the Southeast including Bryant, Dodd, and Vaught.

There is great discussion of games by Spurrier and one example of a detail I had forgotten is in that awful 1996 game at FSU we were without both starting tackles. There's a fun story about the referee meeting before the Sugar Bowl because of that game.

Again, great for any Gator wanting to take a look at not only the two sets of Spurrier years at Florida, but indeed an uplifting book about a guy who did things differently and became a legend.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ive read them all. Was this the one that discussed a lot of his childhood. That is a great one.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Sounds good. Title please?

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I read the recent book that was written from a South Carolina fan's perspective (written by a South Carolina guy). It was very good, but it spent little time on his UF time and most of the book was his early life and his time at SC). It was written before he abruptly "retired", so that's not discussed in the book.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I read the recent book that was written from a South Carolina fan's perspective (written by a South Carolina guy). It was very good, but it spent little time on his UF time and most of the book was his early life and his time at SC). It was written before he abruptly "retired", so that's not discussed in the book.

yea, this is Steve's autobiography, I don't think I specified that.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Should be getting this for Christmas... can't wait to read it

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I have had it for some time, but since it is not an ebook I have some issues reading it. I need to get to it as it is within my reach where I watch TV and internet. I expect to enjoy it a lot.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's a great coach and Gator, but he's been a dick the two times I've met him in public.

First time at the start of his UF career at the Jax Gator Club me and 4 other guys had our picture taken with him. Took all of like 1 minute if that long but all he could do was keep repeating "hurry up, hurry up" while looking all pissy the entire time.

Most recently it was at this book signing at the union. Purchased the book and waited in line with my son. Dude doesn't even make eye contact with us or acknowledge that I spoke to him (told him welcome home Coach), just signs the book and bitches to whomever his handler was beside him that the line is too long.

Haven't bothered to read it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve met him twice. First time we were both waiting to meet people outside the Holiday Inn on Columbus in Tampa. This was during his Bandit days. I asked when he would come coach the Gators and he said, “I have a job.”

The second time was the Polk County Gator Club gathering in 1998. I won a “game ball” commemorating the 1997 F$U win. He autographed it to me. I took a couple of steps back and held my hands out to catch it but he refused to throw it. I took the ball to a table where the assistants were and told Lawson Holland, “He must think I’m a tight end. He wouldn’t throw it to me.” The other coaches laughed hard at that.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He is who he is. When every gator fan (and even rivals and cocks) want some of your time as soon as you go out in public it must get old. He is the Bill Murray of football coaches. He is ours warts and all.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I've never met the Ole Ball Coach, but he doesn't exactly seem like the sweet and giggly type from afar. What I do like about him, on a personal level, is his absolute candor and honesty. To my knowledge, he never broke the rules or permitted anyone else to either. And if he ever did mince any words or pull any punches, hell I if know when or where it was. Love him or hate him - he is exactly what he appears to be, no BS at all. I always especially loved the way he tortured UGA and UT. The barbs and frequent ass whippings he heaped upon them will live for ever in Gator lore. The not so good folks at those two "schools" will never forget either. If being an SOB is what it took to achieve that lofty goal - I'm good with it. At least he's our SOB and I love the rude old bastard.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
' never met the Ole Ball Coach, but he doesn't exactly seem like the sweet and giggly type from afar. What I do like about him, on a personal level, is his absolute candor and honesty. To my knowledge, he never broke the rules or permitted anyone else to either. And if he ever did mince any words or pull any punches, hell I if know when or where it was. Love him or hate him - he is exactly what he appears to be, no BS at all. I always especially loved the way he tortured UGA and UT.
Exactly LZ. if I could give your post `10 likes I would. He did more for gator fan joy than any 10 other gators you can name...............

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I too enjoyed the book and I agree that this is the best one out there.
Unfortunately, there have been so many written that half of the book is very redundant. I have read every detail of his high school baseball career multiple times now. As mentioned, the book does provide some never before read details behind some of the biggest games with SOS.

Good read.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SOS.jpg
I see where some are mentioning when they met SOS so I thought I would share this. I met SOS at Ray Graves Sports Camp in 1968, he was one of the counselors all week. This picture hangs in my man cave.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
s-l1600.jpg

I've got this one. It was published right after Spurrier finished his playing career at UF and won the Heisman. It came out before he went to the 49'ers to play pro ball. The title, It's Always Too Soon to Quit, was taken from the fact that Spurrier always seemed to be at his best when the Gators were behind and he pulled out a win. One famous time this didn't happen was in the Sugar Bowl against Missouri. Missouri led 21 - 0 and I believe that was the score going into the 4th quarter. The final score was 21 -18. The Gators tried to go for two points after each of their touchdowns and failed at all three attempts. Spurrier became the first player in Sugar Bowl history to be named the game's MVP in a losing effort.

This book has a lot of cool, now vintage, pictures.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's a great coach and Gator, but he's been a dick the two times I've met him in public.

First time at the start of his UF career at the Jax Gator Club me and 4 other guys had our picture taken with him. Took all of like 1 minute if that long but all he could do was keep repeating "hurry up, hurry up" while looking all pissy the entire time.

Most recently it was at this book signing at the union. Purchased the book and waited in line with my son. Dude doesn't even make eye contact with us or acknowledge that I spoke to him (told him welcome home Coach), just signs the book and *****es to whomever his handler was beside him that the line is too long.

Haven't bothered to read it.

Lol, that wasn't a pissy face. That was the famous Spurrier grimace. But I get where you're coming from. Steve's an inner-circle guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator