Founding Member
Saw it this morning. Enjoyed it.

Discuss.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a big fan of the series. It is ok but not nearly as great as some people try to make it seem.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We saw it this morning too. So much better than the prequels. Excited to see where this goes but Abrams did a really good job.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not a huge Star Wars buff, especially considering there hasn't been a good film in the franchise in over 30 years, but this one was good. It wasn't without some glaring weaknesses, and I wouldn't put it above any of the originals (even VI), but it was a solid start to this trilogy.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
As one person observed, "it will still be around next week". And, knowing Disney, it will be around forever -- or as long as it keeps generating corporate revenues, whichever comes first.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I enjoyed it. The new R2 was unique, and the new roles are played well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Wife had a cookie exchange party at our house last night, so....yeah, I went to the movies.

Was it worth the $12.75 to see it on the big screen in 3D? Yeah. Was I blown away? No, not even close.

I liked the old characters having more than cameo roles (except, of course, for *spoiler* at the end). I appreciated that there were moments in the film where it felt like they were making fun of themselves and the film overall - then I didn't like that so much. Other films in the series had comedic moments, looks, lines, etc. But here it felt like there were times when it was cheesy for the sake of cheesy and undermined the tone of the film (I'm thinking of Finn running through the battlefield as a prime example). I also enjoyed seeing all the wreckage from earlier films (decades of battles and destroyed spaceships) used in the sets for this film - it helped solidify where we were in time for this episode. I really liked Rey as she seems like a kick ass character you want to stay with through the last 3 films.

I didn't like Finn (see above, and more of his character's actions). He seems set to be a key character in future films, but for this one he wasn't defined well enough despite how much time he spent on the screen. The last 10 minutes seemed optional - could have stopped with completion of the map, and left that as the cliff hanger to start the next film. The rest of what I watched gave me nothing. The core villian, Kylo Ren, doesn't carry the strength that Darth had in the other series. I get that his internal conflict is part of the story, and I expect it to play out in the last two episodes, but in establishing his character and the last trilogy overall this was not enjoyable. Last thing I didn't like was what came across to me as less homage, and more straight rip-off, from some of the better parts of the original trilogy in terms of sets, characters, etc. You'll understand when you see them, and perhaps say "I remember that from the earlier films" but for me, an homage should be subtle which these weren't in the slightest.

Overall I'd give it a 7-8/10. Could have been better, but still worth it overall.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw it Saturday night and loved it...i think seeing it a couple more times in the future I'll like it even more. The dialogue alone was light years ahead of the travesty that Lucas put out. Thought mixing in a little more humor was actually needed. There were a couple issues i had with both Kylo and Rey but not getting into specifics and spoil anything

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I loved it and can't wait to see it again.
I had my concerns going in about Rey however Daisy Ridley nailed it for me and I can't wait to see her in the rest of the trilogy.
Adam Driver (Ren) was... umm not what I expected. I guess I see where the character is going and can understand that casting choice.
I had the least expectations for Finn however John Boyega played a very likable character. I'm not so sure about that casting choice though and can only hope that it doesn't become a distraction for the rest of the trilogy.
Also I am looking very forward to seeing Poe more.
I never enjoyed the C3P0 and R2D2 characters of the original trilogy. Various reasons. However I was pleasantly surprised with BB8.
And finally a last shout out to Chewbaca who got more lines than I remember him every having. They fleshed him out a little bit more this time around and he has what might be one of the most poignant lines in the movie ;)

Oh. The prequel trilogy should be taken out and shot and never mentioned in the same breath as Star Wars ever again.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was going to take my boy Saturday night but he hasn't seen any of the other six. So brought him to my place and we watched the original episode IV instead. Will watch V & VI and then head to the theater. I may sneak off and watch it by myself before then but won't let him know.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I had to watch VI myself as prep. It had been to so long and I'm not a Star Wars nut so I really didn't remember how the original trilogy ended.
One good thing about the new movie is that it doesn't suffer from the horrible dialog of the other movies. And the acting is much better.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Overrated IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I thought it was good, but somethings were odd. How was Finn able to wield a lightsaber? Rey's powers grew so quickly she could take on Ren no problem. And why did the supreme leader look like a rehashed Gollum?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was good, but somethings were odd. How was Finn able to wield a lightsaber? Rey's powers grew so quickly she could take on Ren no problem. And why did the supreme leader look like a rehashed Gollum?

Believe the supreme leader is also played by Andy Circus who played Gollum.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
windpassing_zpswkudhzrn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.