"Stay Away" from Caleb Brantley

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
It has been reported that a coach (I can only assume it was a coach at UF) told all interested NFL teams to stay away from C Brantley. Do you think the coaching staff should be loyal to their former players or perspective NFL teams? I understand the coaching staff has to maintain its credibility amongst other coaches but what does saying something like that do for recruiting efforts?

Me personally I'm a bit conflicted on how I feel about it.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...teams-stay-away-caleb-brantley-even-undrafted

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was Lawing most people are claiming. If it was a current coach they would use different wording to warn teams I would think. They wouldn't want a statement like that getting out.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am waiting for something concrete to come out as to who made the statement. You really hope it wasn't from our own staff. I haven't seen anything but speculation. I have a hard time believing that a former coach who was fired with an axe to grind(and only had the player for one year)...would have an opinion that carried much weight.

FSUcks.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Brantley was easily a top 3 round pick, but most likely a late 1st to early 2nd rd pick. Even with this incident, he shouldn't drop too far, look at Joe Mixon. His should find out exactly what was said and how much it affected his draft stock and sue the coach. If the **** reporter won't reveal her source, sue her as a conspirator in the financial assault.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's two sources who point toward Lawing, with whom Brantley had difficulties mainly stemming from Lawing's inability to understand why he couldn't get through to Brantley in certain ways. That strikes me as a form a backlash if it is Lawing, and if you ask me, it's grounds for termination.

You have three jobs as a college football assistant. Teach the position, recruit and learn how best to get the most out of your players. Brad Lawing strikes me as Will Muschamp Light. It was his way or the highway. I could be way wrong in saying it, but that's the impression I get.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I am waiting for something concrete to come out as to who made the statement. You really hope it wasn't from our own staff. I haven't seen anything but speculation. I have a hard time believing that a former coach who was fired with an axe to grind(and only had the player for one year)...would have an opinion that carried much weight.

FSUcks.

I'm with you, but I can't imagine a current coach doing this. It would be job suicide. Some of the reporting has said this has Lawing written all over it. That implies Lawing has a history of this kind of behavior.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Wasn't it Lawing that told the DT we recruited but flipped to FSUx on signing to lie to us and say he was committed to the Gators all along?

I think his name was Manuel? Anyway, he didn't qualify for FSU. So eff him and eff Lawing, and eff FSU.

While I'm at it, eff UGA and the vols also.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wasn't it Lawing that told the DT we recruited but flipped to FSUx on signing to lie to us and say he was committed to the Gators all along?

I think his name was Manuel? Anyway, he didn't qualify for FSU. So eff him and eff Lawing, and eff FSU.

No, that was Jimbo. He has a history of that. He did it with that thug Dalvin Cook and Ermon Lane. Lawing may have been the one to tell Manuel to lie, but no doubt Jimbo signed off on it.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
It was Lawing most people are claiming. If it was a current coach they would use different wording to warn teams I would think. They wouldn't want a statement like that getting out.

Honestly, that makes me feel better about the situation. I had not read Lawing was tied to the comment.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014

I'm pretty sure that was Lawing. In the end it didn't matter because they didn't get him due to not qualifying academically and if he didn't qualify at FSU he wouldnt have at UF.

Link below

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-manuel-florida-two-weeks-20160203-story.html

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Brantley was easily a top 3 round pick, but most likely a late 1st to early 2nd rd pick. Even with this incident, he shouldn't drop too far, look at Joe Mixon. His should find out exactly what was said and how much it affected his draft stock and sue the coach. If the **** reporter won't reveal her source, sue her as a conspirator in the financial assault.

Told by whom? Mah sources? I don't think you'd have grounds for a lawsuit. Coaches give their opinions...good and bad. Teams are actively seeking out said opinions. The teams can take each opinion and weigh it. If it was Lawing this should be used to its maximum effect on the recruiting trail. Squeeze every ounce you can get from it.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
No, that was Jimbo. He has a history of that. He did it with that thug Dalvin Cook and Ermon Lane. Lawing may have been the one to tell Manuel to lie, but no doubt Jimbo signed off on it.

If it was Lawing, he is a Petty Petty person. I can understand, but not agree with, having Manuel lie in order to gain a recruiting advantage.

Bad mouthing Brantley provides no strategic advantage, and only hurts a player financially (severely at that). Lawing probably cost Brantley $1MM over the life of his rookie contract.

On the flip side of that coin: Don't knock women's teeth out Caleb, and this wont be an issue!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
0On the flip side of that coin: Don't knock women's teeth out Caleb, and this wont be an issue!

Well given players who were drafted, I think without his recent incident which may have been a person defending himself from an assault was the whole reason he dropped. I bet there were other issues. Any smart team will consider a coach or former coach running down a player a personal issue unless there is addition negative information out there.

I consider Brantley's situation not that different than Bobby McCray's another UF DL who scouts decided took plays off. McCray without any incident that I remember shortly before the NFL draft was a 7th round pick. McCray did go on to have a solid NFL career and that is out there for Brantley too.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
On the flip side of that coin: Don't knock women's teeth out Caleb, and this wont be an issue!

There's a lot of contradictory statements out there about what actually happened. There's reason to doubt the girl's story. That said, I hope the truth is confirmed either way so we don't have to speculate about it anymore.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It would be a hard lawsuit to win since he probably has had issues just like most players and the coach can probably legally give his opinion if he isn't making up lies doing it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well given players who were drafted, I think without his recent incident which may have been a person defending himself from an assault there were other issues. Any smart team will consider a coach or former coach running down a player a personal issue unless there is addition negative information out there.

I consider Brantley's situation not that different than Bobby McCray's another UF DL who scouts decided took plays off. McCray without any incident that I remember shortly before the NFL draft was a 7th round pick. McCray did go on to have a solid NFL career and that is out there for Brantley too.

That taking plays off stuff seems to get mentioned on a lot of players so I wonder if it really goes into their thinking a lot. Heck the top draft pick this year had that mentioned a lot and everyone remembers Randy Moss saying he took plays off.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
There's a lot of contradictory statements out there about what actually happened. There's reason to doubt the girl's story. That said, I hope the truth is confirmed either way so we don't have to speculate about it anymore.

I agree that there is a lot of contradiction out there. However, absent a woman pulling a knife on me or my family, I don't think I could ever knock her teeth out.

Look at Joe Mixon: technically, he may have had the legal right to punch that girl (she pushed him first, he has the right to stand his ground and ensure he does not get pushed again). Do you think Joe Louis, I mean Mixon, was in the right?

Legally- Maybe; Morally-Nope

Lawing is still garbage for adding fuel to a fire, IMO

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Has Brantley ever had legal issue in his 3+ years at UF? I can't recall. Like everyone else, I agree there's very, very few situations where having a physical altercation w/ a woman is justifiable. But, other than this incident has he been in trouble? You would think teams would have taken that into account. The fact she wanted to settle screams of this being a gold-digging situation. She probably wanted $500K or something. As a 6th round pick will his signing bonus even be $200K or more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.