Stewart Mandel ranks SEC coaching talent dead last among Power 5 conferences

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Following a discussion from the "Top 4 play callers" thread yesterday....

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...g-talent-dead-last-among-power-5-conferences/

Stewart Mandel ranks SEC coaching talent dead last among Power 5 conferences

Following a tough season for the Southeastern Conference, one in which only Alabama ended the year with fewer than four losses, some are questioning the league’s status as the premier conference in the nation. Much of that doubt likely stems from the SEC’s current crop of coaches — which is certainly lacking star power these days.

The coaching issue in the league started following the departure of coaching icons Steve Spurrier, Gary Pinkel, Les Miles, and Mark Richt in recent seasons. With Georgia, Missouri, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky all being led by coaches in their first head jobs combined with some doubting the futures of the coaches at Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, and Tennessee, it’s easy to see why many view the league as having only one elite coach.

FOX Sports writer Stewart Mandel came to that very conclusion recently in his latest mailbag column. When asked to rank the Power 5 conferences by its coaching talent, Mandel listed the SEC dead last. Here’s what he had to say about the current state of coaching in the league:

So you’ve got the king in Nick Saban, and maybe he counts twice. Then you’ve got some guys like Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin, who’ve achieved brief high points but haven’t demonstrated they can sustain it. And beyond that, it’s a whole lot of inexperience (Kirby Smart) or retreads (Will Muschamp, Ed Orgeron). Dan Mullen is currently the league’s second-best coach, which pretty much says all you need to know.

What the SEC likely needs to help change this viewpoint is for more schools to begin to challenge and eventually defeat Alabama, otherwise, the league will continue to be viewed as the Crimson Tide and everyone else. Getting some strong consistency from the league’s historically great programs combined with a mix of some young coaches earning some upset victories would also go a long way in changing this narrative.

As it stands heading into 2017, the SEC appears to have a real issue on its hands regarding public perception of its coaches. That narrative isn’t something that can be improved until the fall when success is achieved on the field or changes are made via new hires.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ouch. We've been saying the same on here. The SEC East is a wasteland

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd agree with that. It's Saban and the 13 sisters of the poor

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SEC has the talent, everyone else has the coaching, which is weird. But honestly........if you're a CFB head coach looking for a new job, do you want to have to go through Nick Saban every year? Why not take the easier road to the playoffs?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dan Mullen is currently the league’s second-best coach, which pretty much says all you need to know.

Dead on.

What the SEC likely needs to help change this viewpoint is for more schools to begin to challenge and eventually defeat Alabama, otherwise, the league will continue to be viewed as the Crimson Tide and everyone else.

Or for SEC teams to challenge, and more consistently beat, other Power 5 teams viewed as CFP contenders. Like F$U (ooooof)...or maybe MICH?

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ouch. We've been saying the same on here. The SEC East is a wasteland

Exactly he is late to the party and maybe wrong now. The Big 10 is really a couple of guys and then little as it has been for decades. The Big 12 is really hurt by no Stoops. The PAC12 is not much either. The ACC is not impressive if Fisher is among your top coaches. I might call it a 5 way tie for last.

Right now college football is more driven by traditional programs being about where they should be, ie Ohio State, OU, Michigan, UF etc being near the top. UAL is above its station with Saban, but other than Meyer at Ohio State it seems to me to be more the stature of the program driving things than the any particularly good coaches one place or another.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly he is late to the party and maybe wrong now. The Big 10 is really a couple of guys and then little as it has been for decades. The Big 12 is really hurt by no Stoops. The PAC12 is not much either. The ACC is not impressive if Fisher is among your top coaches. I might call it a 5 way tie for last.

Right now college football is more driven by traditional programs being about where they should be, ie Ohio State, OU, Michigan, UF etc being near the top. UAL is above its station with Saban, but other than Meyer at Ohio State it seems to me to be more the stature of the program driving things than the any particularly good coaches one place or another.

The ACC is loaded and impressive. The SEC is Saban and a bunch of leftovers.

And in what universe is UF near the top with 8 losses in the last two years...29 losses over the last 6 years - that's an average of 5 per year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen isn't even close to being the 2nd best coach...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

And in what universe is UF near the top with 8 losses in the last two years...29 losses over the last 6 years - that's an average of 5 per year.

They can make arguments many ways - heck back in 2014 the SEC coaching was said to be above everyone and it was the West coaches that are currently still there that they used to make that argument mostly but the bottom line is its 50-50 when it comes to wins and losses so only a few in the long run in a good conference will stick out.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

In the world where heading into the last regular season game of the year UF could possibly make the playoffs. I agree UF is a bit below where it should be historically, but I worry that is my orange and blue glasses. I would like UF to be better, but that is where you are when you are getting by the the power of your program and coaching is adding little to nothing.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Lifelong Gators / SEC fan here... and as hard as it is for me to admit it, I humbly agree with Mandel's assessment. But WTF happened?! This used to be a no-brainer: best coaches, best players. best facilities and best fan bases in the country. The facilities and fans are still here, as are the players. But where are the top coaches? Are they afraid to coach in this league because they view it as too difficult to win, year in and year out? Is this a case where Saban's presence has cast a pall over the entire league? Or is it a case of vocal disgruntled fan bases who accept nothing less than perfection? Or is it trigger happy AD's who are quick to fire, but too lazy to do the work necessary to bring top talent? Maybe it is a combination of factors.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the world where heading into the last regular season game of the year UF could possibly make the playoffs.
Those are definitely some orange and blue glasses.

Hazed over completely w Gainseville Green..... if you think any team that got DESTROYED by Arky is ever going to be a contender.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
SEC has the talent, everyone else has the coaching, which is weird. But honestly........if you're a CFB head coach looking for a new job, do you want to have to go through Nick Saban every year? Why not take the easier road to the playoffs?

This is the inconvenient truth. The combination of Saban/Alabama is a perfect storm that has yielded a dynasty arguably unlike ever seen. For the non SEC coaches winning your conference is fairly doable. For anybody in the SEC it means beating the NC just to get to the playoffs. Even if I were a coach that thought I was better than Saban I'd have to ask myself will the University give me everything I ask. And even then it will take more than one great recruiting class but two or three back to back. I'd rather take my chances in another conference.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Lifelong Gators / SEC fan here... and as hard as it is for me to admit it, I humbly agree with Mandel's assessment. But WTF happened?! This used to be a no-brainer: best coaches, best players. best facilities and best fan bases in the country. The facilities and fans are still here, as are the players. But where are the top coaches? Are they afraid to coach in this league because they view it as too difficult to win, year in and year out? Is this a case where Saban's presence has cast a pall over the entire league? Or is it a case of vocal disgruntled fan bases who accept nothing less than perfection? Or is it trigger happy AD's who are quick to fire, but too lazy to do the work necessary to bring top talent? Maybe it is a combination of factors.
It's a combination of what you're up against (Saban) and the expectations (from administrations and fans). Richt would be at a program like UNC for 30 years. Mushchamp would be at an NC State for life. Mac could write his own ticket to any ACC school other than FSU, Clemson or Da U.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At first you think that, but then who's any better?

Malzahn, Sumlin & Freeze (Freeze for having the 2 Bama wins)

1. Malzahn 18-14 SEC games (35-18 overall) (1 Bama win in 4 games)
2. Sumlin 21-19 SEC games (44-21 overall) (1 Bama win in 5 games)
3. Freeze 19-21 SEC games (39-25 overall) (2 Bama wins in 5 games)
4. Mullen 29-35 SEC games (61-42 overall) (No Bama wins in 8 games)
5. Bielema 10-22 SEC games (25-26 overall) (No Bama wins in 4 games)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

They could rotate schools ever other year and you'd get the same results.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Wow those are pretty ****ty SEC records. Nobody even close to .500. And only Sumlin is over .500 overall and he's on his way out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Damn, ole Bielema is really killing it. I didnt realize he had 10 SEC wins already in only four years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.