Stewart Mandel: What is Will Muschamp’s ceiling at South Carolina?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mandel’s Mailbag: What is Will Muschamp’s ceiling at South Carolina?

https://theathletic.com/240425/2018...uth-carolina-football-jacob-eason-washington/

I’m impressed with Will Muschamp’s success at South Carolina. What has made this time different from his rocky tenure at Florida, and what’s his ceiling with the Gamecocks?

Matt Giles, Seattle

First of all, we have to acknowledge the lower expectations at South Carolina, which went 3-9 the year before he took over, relative to Florida, which was just a year removed from the Tim Tebow era. Furthermore, Muschamp went 7-6 and 11-2 in his first two seasons in Gainesville, yet Gators fans weren’t nearly as satisfied at the time as Gamecocks fans are today coming off 6-7 and 9-4 marks.

There also was one important difference between the two scenarios: South Carolina is coming off the biggest win of Muschamp’s tenure, its Outback Bowl upset of Michigan, whereas he ended Year 2 at Florida with a dreadful Sugar Bowl defeat to Teddy Bridgewater-led Louisville.

And now comes the part where I rain on South Carolina’s parade a bit by pointing out that Muschamp’s “success” might not be quite as impressive as it appears.

Muschamp’s crucial mistake at Florida was his initial approach to offense. He tried to convert a roster recruited for the spread offense into a pro-style system, and he hired Charlie Weis of all people to do it. By the time he finally relented and hired Kurt Roper from Duke heading into his fourth season, it was too late. The offense was a largely unfixable mess (that Jim McElwain couldn’t fix either).

So, on the surface, Muschamp’s decision to bring Roper with him and run a spread from the start was a key difference. QB Jake Bentley’s emergence as a true freshman in 2016 only made him look smarter. But today, it’s harder to argue either was an overriding factor. After producing offenses that ranked 14th (2016) and 12th (2017), respectively, in the SEC, Roper was fired in December. Losing star receiver Deebo Samuel three games into the season did not help, but the fact is South Carolina finished with the same ranking as Florida in Muschamp’s Year 2.

Furthermore, even as a 9-4 SEC team, South Carolina finished just 60th nationally in Bill Connelly’s S&P+ efficiency rankings, behind the likes of Miami of Ohio, UTSA and Utah State. I asked Bill for an explanation, and he noted that statistically, the Gamecocks had the profile of a 6-6 team in the regular season, getting outgained in three of their victories (including by 258 yards against N.C. State).

For lack of a better word, they got a little lucky.

Ultimately, that 9-4 number is a whole lot more important than any efficiency ranking for the very reason you brought up — nothing seems “rocky” with the program. Everybody’s happy. If the Gamecocks continue to improve, especially on offense under newly elevated coordinator Bryan McClendon (who called plays in the bowl game), no one’s going to care how the wins came about.

But a word of warning: Teams that fare considerably better or worse in the win-loss column than their performance would suggest often boomerang the following season. Much like Florida did in slipping from 11-2 to 4-8 in Year 3 under Muschamp.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know, don't care...BOOM Mutha flucka!!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With all due respect, dont care. fvk chump.
Don't know, don't care...BOOM Mutha flucka!!

First off, it's the off-season. By all means, post up something for us to talk about.

Second, you should care. He spent 4 years here on an Internship learning how to be a head coach. Now he's coaching at one of our Division rivals and he's 1-1 against us.

But I get it. It's more fun to say "F*ck (fill in the blank)" and get likes....

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Sorry BMF but I literally despise the idiot and I hope he fails miserably. I will refrain from posting in any thread that mentions him. I dont care about likes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry BMF but I literally despise the idiot and I hope he fails miserably. I will refrain from posting in any thread that mentions him. I dont care about likes.

I hate that MF'er too!! I hate him as much as Butters!

I think this is worth discussing for while.

My observation is he is still meddling w/ the offense. He just fired Roper....who he brought to UF, then sought out after a year off (while he was DC at Auburn) to run his offense....then he fires the guy? THEN....THEN....he hires his next OC from within! WTF?

He can recruit well, especially on defense (here comes Law's "he only recruit DBs" comment)....but his downfall, just like it was here, is going to be his meddling w/ the offense. The QB he has is his best college QB he's had in 6+ years as a head coach, and he's going to limit what the kid can do. I'm just not sure if he'll lose enough games there to get fired (i.e. he'll win 7-8 games/year....and likely knock off a team or two he shouldn't....and, of course, lose a few he shouldn't).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
modern-style-basement-ceiling-ideas-for-low-ceilings-ideas-for-finishing-a-low-ceiling-basement-15.jpg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp had 3 OC's in 4 years here... looks like he is doing the same. Dude will recruit defense (except true DTs and LBs), and will recruiting RB's pick up a QB every 3/4 years but no offensive linemen. He is who he has always been. That will be good enough for a long run at South Carolina.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is from a butt-hurt SC fan in the comments section (hilarious!):

Lol your shallow knowledge of the South Carolina football program is laughable. Muschamp is two years removed from taking over a SoCon talent level team. In two years he's completely revamped the roster. You failed to note how many freshman/sophomores played significant roles on the team last year and how they had the mental toughness to battle in close games [Hello: HUGE come from behind win (yes- that's offense that was required and yes, it scored points) against one of if not the top defense in the country in Michigan]. Lol saying a team got their record by luck is frankly intellectual dishonesty and laziness. Having the second best turnover margin in the SEC and forcing the most turnovers in the SEC isn't luck. Deebo Samuel having 2 KO returned for TD in 3 games before getting hurt isn't lucky. If anything, we were unlucky in that we blew games we should've won in Kentucky and Texas A&M and should've gone 11-2. Who knows if Deebo Samuel was healthy and we weren't starting 2 true freshman WR's. The sky is the limit for Muschamp and this staff he has assembled.

Don't be mistaken, South Carolina fans are happy not just because of the record (we still expect a totally attainable 10-11 win season-see next seasons schedule) but because we know what he's been working with on a team filled with numerous holes in the roster due to the lackluster (putting it nicely) roster management by Spurrier and his incompetent staff.

So don't patronize South Carolina fans. We know signs that a program is going downhill despite our record (like having a part time head coach i.e. Spurrier) and this program only shows signs of going up. I expect you to write an effusive article in the years to come on how much Muschamp has taken Caroline to the next level and learned from his past mistakes.

In the meantime, All Gas, No Brakes.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is from a butt-hurt SC fan in the comments section (hilarious!):

Lol your shallow knowledge of the South Carolina football program is laughable. Muschamp is two years removed from taking over a SoCon talent level team. In two years he's completely revamped the roster. You failed to note how many freshman/sophomores played significant roles on the team last year and how they had the mental toughness to battle in close games [Hello: HUGE come from behind win (yes- that's offense that was required and yes, it scored points) against one of if not the top defense in the country in Michigan]. Lol saying a team got their record by luck is frankly intellectual dishonesty and laziness. Having the second best turnover margin in the SEC and forcing the most turnovers in the SEC isn't luck. Deebo Samuel having 2 KO returned for TD in 3 games before getting hurt isn't lucky. If anything, we were unlucky in that we blew games we should've won in Kentucky and Texas A&M and should've gone 11-2. Who knows if Deebo Samuel was healthy and we weren't starting 2 true freshman WR's. The sky is the limit for Muschamp and this staff he has assembled.

Don't be mistaken, South Carolina fans are happy not just because of the record (we still expect a totally attainable 10-11 win season-see next seasons schedule) but because we know what he's been working with on a team filled with numerous holes in the roster due to the lackluster (putting it nicely) roster management by Spurrier and his incompetent staff.

So don't patronize South Carolina fans. We know signs that a program is going downhill despite our record (like having a part time head coach i.e. Spurrier) and this program only shows signs of going up. I expect you to write an effusive article in the years to come on how much Muschamp has taken Caroline to the next level and learned from his past mistakes.

In the meantime, All Gas, No Brakes.

I absolutely love this. I cant wait till they are all calling for his head next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

His ceiling is 8 and 4 and his basement there is probably 2 and 8.

he is what he is. a guy who's good at recruiting defensive backs and under-sized hybrid defensive ends.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

His ceiling is 8 and 4 and his basement there is probably 2 and 8.

he is what he is. a guy who's good at recruiting defensive backs and under-sized hybrid defensive ends.

I think you sell him a little short here. He's also excellent at luring unsuspecting 17 year old offensive talent into making monumentally bad career decisions.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Anyone else see the irony in this statement? :lol:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When Muschamp inevitably gets run out of Columbia in a few years, I really hope they hire McElwain next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator