Stopping Fournette

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I thought there was another thread on this topic, but I can't find it...

If you were the DC, how would you game plan vs lsu?

To me, the biggest challenge is our shortage of LBs. We can't use nickel D like the first half of the season. I would use an extra Buck LB (or whatever they're called now) to essentially run a 5-2 front - 2 DTs, 2 DEs and Buck to allow the LBs a better rotation and keep players fresh. There were Clark and Holley sightings, so it's time for them to elevate their game. It's going to be a punishing game, even if the D can catch LF behind the LOS frequently.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This guy was the DC at MSU last year and I think they did a pretty good job of shutting him down. In fact, someone may have already said that here, to include mentioning the talent here has to be better than MSU.

Ex-Lax in his Gatorade, tie his shoe laces together, Icey Hot in his jock.......whatever it takes.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
[youtube]c6u5AyGSJJk[/youtube]

Will Muschamp - Defensive Coordinator - Auburn Tigers

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we have to "stop' him to win but we have to limit his touches by getting ahead and holding the ball. Make long drives!!!!!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We are not going to be able to stop Fournette on every play. If Fournette breaks a long touchdown run the Gators need to be prepared for the aftermath. The crowd will erupt. But we need to keep our cool. Whatever you do don't fumble the football on the ensuing kick-off. Forget about the previous play you lost. Get ready to play and win the next play. Don't let Fournette take over the game.

To look on the bright side --- if Fournette makes a long run that means the LSU offense does not stay on the field and waterboard us to death drip by drip. It means the LSU defense has to be on the field longer.

The key is to stop Fournette enough times. I just don't think even a defense as good as ours is going to completely shut Fournette down, but if he does make a long touchdown run don't go into a complete funk. Don't get rattled. Be prepared.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n297038 said:
This guy was the DC at MSU last year and I think they did a pretty good job of shutting him down. In fact, someone may have already said that here, to include mentioning the talent here has to be better than MSU.

Ex-Lax in his Gatorade, tie his shoe laces together, Icey Hot in his jock.......whatever it takes.

Not too bad about 5 yards a carry and 113 rushing yards - I would definitely take that Saturday

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we can hold him under 125 yards, I think we've got a good chance to win.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
No chance of "stopping" this guy, he will get his yards. The thing is making sure he doesn't break a couple for long TD's.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gap discipline and sure tackling. He ran for 140 on UF last year and the Gators still almost won.

I worry about the DE's crashing the interior, losing the edge and leaving major gaps on the outside. I worry about the linebackers hitting the wrong gap while he runs right past them. I worry about a safety missing a tackle and he's gone. Their OL is really really good.

But out our ability to rotate fresh bodies, put 280lb DEs out there, and speed give us a great chance.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n297209 said:
This should help..@LSU_Sports_News: (Daily-Reveille) Report: Fullback Moore out for Florida game http://bit.ly/1jxjU33 #LSU

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This should help..@LSU_Sports_News: (Daily-Reveille) Report: Fullback Moore out for Florida game http://bit.ly/1jxjU33 #LSU

That may help a little, but that offensive line is still really good. Fournette averages some crazy amount of yards per game before contact.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Could make an impact, but i'm sure Les has several fullbacks on his roster.
I'm confident we can handle the sweeps, counters etc. It's the A and B gap stuff that he normally
breaks for long runs. Obviously Morrison and Davis have to be big for us in this one.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n297214 said:
Could make an impact, but i'm sure Les has several fullbacks on his roster.
I'm confident we can handle the sweeps, counters etc. It's the A and B gap stuff that he normally
breaks for long runs. Obviously Morrison and Davis have to be big for us in this one.

Gonna be a big night for those two. They and Bullard should hopefully come out with something to prove.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n297215 said:
Gonna be a big night for those two. They and Bullard should hopefully come out with something to prove.

Mcmillan was actually decent in the last game. He's going to have to provide some relief for those guys.
Haven't heard anything on Anzalone, so i'm guessing he isn't ready to make a return.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n297219 said:
Mcmillan was actually decent in the last game. He's going to have to provide some relief for those guys.
Haven't heard anything on Anzalone, so i'm guessing he isn't ready to make a return.

I think we'll be fine with what we've had going. I think we are probably the best all around defense they'll see all year. I fully expect Fournette to get some runs in, but I think those guys up front gonna give him a beating that he hasn't seen yet this year. But we also need to be prepared for their second guy. Question is, does our offense give our defense enough rest in this game. I think that's the difference.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best way to stop him is to along with good defense, get out ahead so they have to throw. Of course, the grass eater would probably still keep running it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n297229 said:
The best way to stop him is to along with good defense, get out ahead so they have to throw. Of course, the grass eater would probably still keep running it.
While I agree, that is much easier said than done. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.