Story about "committable offers"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a good read. We often discuss this and getting into pissing matches about it, "Well, he has an offer from Alabama so he must be good!" Well, not all "offers" are "committable offers":

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Brian-Ferentz-calls-out-rival-schools-over-recruiting-offers

Brian Ferentz calls out rival schools over recruiting offers

Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz called out some rival schools for putting out what he questions are uncommitable offers.

Ferentz joined Hawk Central radio and was asked about recruiting in the state of Iowa. The son of Kirk Ferentz brought up Iowa State and Minnesota offering a ton of kids early, while the Hawkeyes wait.

What has sped things up in our state, the guys in Ames and the new guys in Minneapolis seem to have no problem throwing early things out,” he said “And what I've learned, certainly about the guys in Ames and I think we'll find this about the guys in Minneapolis, you know, what does an offer really mean?

“I can tell you this much: If the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship and you commit to us, we intend to sign you, and we intend to take your commitment. I think you have to look no further than in-state to see there were a lot of offers that went out in the 2018 class very early out of Ames, and I'm not sure all of those guys were able to commit to them if they wanted to, because some of those guys have since gone other places.”

The question of “uncommitable offers” has become more prevalent in the recent years. Some kids need an offer if they’re going to show interest in a school or visit, but other kids may want to commit and cannot do so.

Rivals.com reports Iowa State has put out around 334 offers for the class of 2018, and Iowa has put out around 93. Seven Big Ten schools put out more than 250 offers for the class of 2017. Iowa was second-lowest, at 123.

“We took a little bit of flak early for not being out early, but we weren't sure about some of those guys and how they would fit, and if it was the right opportunity for both sides, so we didn't want to do anything that we would have to change our mind about later,” Ferentz said. “I think you’re going to see things speed up, but we have to be sure before we do something.”

The younger Ferentz brought up the idea of selling “hope” versus results. Kirk Ferentz is the second-longest tenured head coach in the country, leading the Hawkeyes since 1999, so Brian took a shot at schools selling players who didn’t play under the current coach, and he all but named another rival.

You watch the draft, and it amazes me — ‘Congratulations to so and so,’ and you never coached the guy, but you’re quick to take credit for it,” Brian Ferentz said. “We recruit against a couple of schools that talk about 'The Pipeline.' I'm thinking of one a little bit west of Omaha that talks about their 'Pipeline.' And I think they've had two guys drafted in two years, so I'm not sure how much of the 'Pipeline' the coaches have contributed to.

“But perception is reality, so you work against that in recruiting. But once we get kids on campus and explain to them the facts, the bottom line is anybody you see on this sheet — graduation numbers, NFL — you’re going back to 1999. Our head coach has recruited, coached and had a direct influence on every one of those guys. No one else in our conference can say that.”

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting read... I have no doubt schools do this. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA does anything about this with the new early signing period.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He needs to get off his high horse. How does he expect to honor 93 offers?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting read... I have no doubt schools do this. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA does anything about this with the new early signing period.
Well, the new early signing period will change things and in part it is in response.

Many recruits will want to get it over early. Some will want to do the hat thing on ESPN. The elite schools will always want to wait and see which of the 4 stars become 5 stars, and take their pick. This is why Lil Nick and Creyer don't want the early signing period.

I'm not sure what happens to us. We seem to wait and take Bammer's plan C. I doubt we get many early signings with this staff.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Here are the numbers on offers made and which position had the most offers in the 2017 recruiting cycle for schools of interest:

Iowa 123 - WR 21
Clemson 137 - CB 21
Ohio State 142 - WR 19
FSU 163 - CB 19
Minnesota 184 - CB 24
Oklahoma 186 - CB 29
LSU 193 - CB, WR 23
USC 193 - DT 27
Notre Dame 210 - WR 34
Georgia 213 - WR 34
LSU 238 - WR 38
Florida 244 - CB 29
South Carolina 251 - CB 29 (and 25 offers to safeties, 22% of his offers to DBs, some things never change)
Alabama 252 - WR 35
Miami 271 - WR 48
Michigan 308 - CB 35
Iowa State 354 - CB 50
Tennessee 377 - WR 52

It's obvious that some coaches like Swinney, Meyer, Jimbo and Ferentz are very methodical in their approach. They give out far fewer offers than their rivals and concentrate on landing a select group of players. This strategy would allow them to dedicate more resources per target as there are fewer of them. However, this strategy also has an element of danger as players flipping late in the process would be harder to replace.

Other coaches like Saban, Harbaugh and Richt use the shotgun approach. They scatter offers like seeds in the wind. This strategy allows them to get in on kids early and evaluate them later. However, it does lead to offers that aren't really offers after all.

Neither strategy seems to offer a competitive advantage as teams across the spectrum landed highly rated classes.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Well, the new early signing period will change things and in part it is in response.

Many recruits will want to get it over early. Some will want to do the hat thing on ESPN. The elite schools will always want to wait and see which of the 4 stars become 5 stars, and take their pick. This is why Lil Nick and Creyer don't want the early signing period.

I'm not sure what happens to us. We seem to wait and take Bammer's plan C. I doubt we get many early signings with this staff.

Meyer and Saban have different recruiting philosophies as evidenced by the number of offers given by each. However, I highly doubt that either of them are waiting to see what the recruiting rankings people have to say about it. I can't imagine Saban thinking to himself "I really think this kid is great, but I better wait to see what Rivals thinks before I give him an offer." I just don't think that's how it works.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The elite schools will always want to wait and see which of the 4 stars become 5 stars, and take their pick.

Wow, do you really think any college coach in the country changes their evaluation of a player because some website changes the player from a 4 star to a 5 star? Seriously, you have to know better than that? Surely, you meant something else but typed the above????

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, yes, Creyer's staff admitted they used recruiting services to do their work for them. I doubt he does it now. He jas a huge staff now at Crackumbus that rivals Saban's.

But no, I didnt mean actual star ratings. I meant that the Sabans and Creyers wait to see which blue chippers (4 star) develop into the most elite (5 star) players. It is hard to do that in June or even September of the kid's senior HS year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.