BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://gridironnow.com/scott-stricklin-100-million-improvements/

New Florida AD Scott Stricklin discusses $100 million plans for athletics

By Brad Logan
Posted on January 5, 2017

Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin has been on the job for about two months and knows his job is just beginning. Stricklin recently talked with Matt Wyatt and Michael Borkey of “Head to Head Radio” on Supertalk Mississippi and is excited about the future in Gainesville.

“The last 16 months, Florida has spent $106 million on facilities, including a new academic center and $65 million spent updating the O’Connell Center,” he said.

Stricklin, 46, also talked about further plans.

“Right now, we have a $100 million wish list that includes a standalone football indoor facility, softball and baseball stadiums,” he said.

Stricklin noted he’d like to have the improvements started soon and in full force prior to the end of this year. The first item on the list was the football facility, and softball and baseball would follow, Stricklin said.

“Facility upgrades is an ongoing piece of what we do in collegiate athletics,” he said, and he knows first-hand from his time at Mississippi State. At MSU, Stricklin oversaw the completion of the softball complex, the north end zone expansion at Davis Wade Stadium and began the initial planning stages of a revamped Dudy Noble Field for MSU’s baseball profram.

Now Florida is ready to move dirt.

“We are fortunate enough here that we have donors, people committed to the program that want us to continue and improve,” he said.

Before moving to Florida, Stricklin was AD at Mississippi State and oversaw the most successful football run in Bulldogs history. He is a MSU alum who also has worked in the SEC at Auburn and Kentucky.

“I believe the SEC is the best conference and I mean that sincerely; that’s not just a talking point,” Stricklin said. “I don’t think we (SEC) are where we were two or three years ago, but we have the most passionate fans.”

With a new job, increased budget, increased exposure and rabid fan base comes expectations. Stricklin understands that comes with the territory.

“The best thing about college athletics are the passionate fans and the worst thing about athletics are the passionate fans,” he said. “So you have to take the good with the bad.

“You have to have coaches that are focused and don’t listen to the noise outside the building, and also trust administrators that are evaluating what’s going on.”

At the end of the day, you trust your instincts.

“If you have the right person, and you believe in that person as your leader, you’ll be able to withstand some days when the ball doesn’t bounce your way,” Stricklin said. “We’re all going to take our turn when our teams are not going to meet our expectations. (In tough times) you have to take a step back and look at the big picture.”

Stricklin learned how to survive in the SEC West. He should have no problem doing so in the SEC East.

“(The teams you face in the SEC) are trying to win. They’re building facilities and out recruiting great talent,” Stricklin said. “There can only be one winner on Saturdays, but when you win a championship or have a great year, you should really appreciate and savor that.”

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Opening up the pocket book, I like it.

[GIPHY="yes"]https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o7TKRPQFdNOCErEac/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We could jumpstart the building by shaking down Foley, Meyer, and Muschamp for the money they all stole from the university.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
A good start and it covers more than just the revenue sports. Now we need housing and to promote the new academic assistance system to parents. I saw Tabor's letter it was great. I hope he is successful in the NFL but I more hope he gets his degree from some university if not UF. Specifically he thanked his academic counselors and professors.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
“Right now, we have a $100 million wish list that includes a standalone football indoor facility, softball and baseball stadiums,” he said.
What does he mean "wish"?
"Indoor"? Where they planning on making it outdoor?
And lets keep in mind that we are not spending $100 m on the football facility. That's only getting $60-70 m.

I think wish means what we want and will do as long as the money is there. I suspect that there are housing improvements in addition. Those other improvements mentioned are the rest of the 100M

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“If you have the right person, and you believe in that person as your leader, you’ll be able to withstand some days when the ball doesn’t bounce your way,” Stricklin said. “We’re all going to take our turn when our teams are not going to meet our expectations. (In tough times) you have to take a step back and look at the big picture.”
Im not sure I like this much.

We trusted the last guy and it gave us two SEC championships in 17 years, and three pitiful hires.

We dont believe we have the right guy. He obviously things 4 losses/ 3 blowouts seasons are good enough and deserve a pat on the back.

He also has what seems to be the laziest bunch of recruiters in college football.

This guy better figure out quickly that he isnt at Cowbell anymore.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Im not sure I like this much.

We trusted the last guy and it gave us two SEC championships in 17 years, and three pitiful hires.

We dont believe we have the right guy. He obviously things 4 losses/ 3 blowouts seasons are good enough and deserve a pat on the back.

He also has what seems to be the laziest bunch of recruiters in college football.

This guy better figure out quickly that he isnt at Cowbell anymore.

He is talking about Mac and perhaps some other coaches that folks like us think are not the correct people or the best that we can obtain. Now we disagree on the potential that our current staff has, not by that much and mostly in timing. I also insist that some of the proposed improvements on the staff are not likely, or basically impossible.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Once that is built coaches can't blame facilities for any recruiting issues. The living quarters got major upgrades and now we have an IPF and a much better looking basketball facility.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
And lets keep in mind that we are not spending $100 m on the football facility. That's only getting $60-70 m.

Yeah, I'd take that as
We are spending $60-70m on an indoor football facility
We hope to spend $30-40 on a new baseball and softball stadiums.

Basically, we aren't looking to JUST improve football. We hope (wish) to improve other sporting venues as well.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'd take that as

Basically, we aren't looking to JUST improve football. We hope (wish) to improve other sporting venues as well.

Track & Field needs to move to SW Rec area. We only have 100 yd. and 70 yd. field for 120 players to practice on in the heat and that just isn't enough room. The whole concept of squeezing a football only facility into the small throwing pit area is ludicrous....and where the hell are they going to relocate the throwing area to?

Not practicing outside enough hurt us in a few games this year with dehydration. Tabor going to the locker room for IV vs. Tinercee allowed them to seize momentum and probably cost us that game, just as one example.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am curious how the fund raising is coming along. I have heard many of the elite Bull Gators are not giving bog donations and that article makes it sound like they are giving?

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
We could jumpstart the building by shaking down Foley, Meyer, and Muschamp for the money they all stole from the university.
Amen! I was thinking this last week. especially about Foley who is still here "supporting" the program by his retired involvement. I'm thinking his salary for his first year of retirement employment would be a minimum start.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

I realize it's a lot of money but they have got to find a way to expedite the process.

Maybe Foley could donate the 1 mil he gave to Urban and some of the great contract pay out he worked out for Chumper.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I am curious how the fund raising is coming along. I have heard many of the elite Bull Gators are not giving bog donations and that article makes it sound like they are giving?
Someone noted that big boosters want to be sure of where the money is going. In other words they don't want to give if 30-40% is going to other sports.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I wonder what the reaction would be if Stricklin had said something like the following:

"My number one goal is to lead the University of Florida to a national championship in football. Make no mistake about it.We are going to kick Alabama's ass and grab Nick Saban by the you know what. That's why you take a job at a place like Florida which has the alumni base, the resources, and the pool of athletes to win a national football championship. I loved my time as the athletic director at Mississippi State, my alma mater, and we enjoyed great success in elevating the facilities and the athletic program in Starkville. But I recognized that I hit a ceiling at State, but at a place like Florida there is no limit in what we can do on the football field. We will spend whatever it takes to get the best facilities, the best coaches, the best players, whatever it takes, short of cheating, to be national champs in football."

"Let's make Gator football great again. We are Florida damn it. I'm Scott Stricklin and I approve this message."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Amen! I was thinking this last week. especially about Foley who is still here "supporting" the program by his retired involvement. I'm thinking his salary for his first year of retirement employment would be a minimum start.
No, you have it wrong.

He is supporting the expansion by retiring and getting the hell out of the way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Foley could donate the 1 mil he gave to Urban and some of the great contract pay out he worked out for Chumper.
He should donate the one million a year he made MORE than Bammer's AD.

He skimped on everything except AD's salary. Weird, huh?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder what the reaction would be if Stricklin had said something like the following:

"My number one goal is to lead the University of Florida to a national championship in football. Make no mistake about it.We are going to kick Alabama's ass and grab Nick Saban by the you know what. That's why you take a job at a place like Florida which has the alumni base, the resources, and the pool of athletes to win a national football championship. I loved my time as the athletic director at Mississippi State, my alma mater, and we enjoyed great success in elevating the facilities and the athletic program in Starkville. But I recognized that I hit a ceiling at State, but at a place like Florida there is no limit in what we can do on the football field. We will spend whatever it takes to get the best facilities, the best coaches, the best players, whatever it takes, short of cheating, to be national champs in football."

"Let's make Gator football great again. We are Florida damn it. I'm Scott Stricklin and I approve this message."
I'd vote for him.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

That fires me up. It might do the same to those who are best able to contribute money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator