Stricklin: Hiring a football coach more difficult than fans realize

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. I know. That's the reason I'm so confused you guys don't get it yet.
We get it along with the notion that you've overreacted to Stricklin's comments.

Hate to burst your bubble but this story has a limited shelf life.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The following is the quote from the article that Dooley claims came straight from stricklin:

"Had Stricklin not had special ties to Starkville, Miss., it would have been a one-man race and Mullen would have been the target. But leaving his alma mater behind had been tough enough. Reaching in to swipe the best coach in Mississippi State history would be brutal for people he cares about

UF needed the closest coach to a sure thing. In a staff meeting, Stricklin let it be known that he had no doubt Mullen would be a big winner at Florida, but the thought of stealing a coach from his alma mater where he had so many deep relationships made him queasy."

I've never said I believe it. But if that statement's true he should be let go.

I hear you. It doesn’t bother me as it does you, at least not in the same way. But I get your point. Whatever plucks happened on his heart strings, it didn’t take long.

What bothers me more is the inference that Stricklin wouldn’t have considered others. Due diligence requires reasonably considering the field - which winds up supporting your final choice even if you thought he was obvious at the outset.

But you don’t fire people for thoughts. You fire them for actions or inaction.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
We get it along with the notion that you've overreacted to Stricklin's comments.

Hate to burst your bubble but this story has a limited shelf life.
Not interested in its shelf life.

It aggravated me when the story came up the first time about him making it more than a one man race because of it being MSU.

It aggravated me again when he started talking trash about fans not knowing how hard his job is.

It'll aggravate me the next time he doesn't do his job or patronizes the "uninformed" masses

I did what all normal fans do when they get aggravated. Type it on a message board. I don't have a hankerin to "nail" him. Don't even know if what the Sun printed is true or not. Just stated that if it is true he should be let go (even though we know that's not going to happen). And if he's not let go he should straighten out his queasiness issues and quit using that condescending tone with the fanbase.

Some of it may have to do with the fact that the day he stepped on to the job he reminded me of a politician. He also reminds me of Foley. Now I'm sending my booster money in today and will every year until I die. But just like paying taxes to mealy mouth politicians, I begrudge every penny I send their way (unless he straightens up).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It aggravated me when the story came up the first time about him making it more than a one man race because of it being MSU.

It aggravated me again when he started talking trash about fans not knowing how hard his job is.

It'll aggravate me the next time he doesn't do his job or patronizes the "uninformed" masses

I did what all normal fans do when they get aggravated. Type it on a message board. I don't have a hankerin to "nail" him. Don't even know if what the Sun printed is true or not. Just stated that if it is true he should be let go (even though we know that's not going to happen). And if he's not let go he should straighten out his queasiness issues and quit using that condescending tone with the fanbase.

Some of it may have to do with the fact that the day he stepped on to the job he reminded me of a politician. He also reminds me of Foley. Now I'm sending my booster money in today and will every year until I die. But just like paying taxes to mealy mouth politicians, I begrudge every penny I send their way (unless he straightens up).
It's refreshing to know Scott is in touch with his feminine side.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry guys, I didn't read all 7 pages but I tend to agree with stricklin here and appreciate the candor.

I've been saying that coaching salaries are artificially too high so that mediocrity is rewarded.

A failure of a coach like mushamp and Mac are getting a few million a year, guaranteed with no meritocracy is absurd. These guys should be marching in the street for 15 bucks an hour.

They artificially boost the price of average coaches so we have to break the bank to get a mediocre guy like Mullen. Don't get me wrong, Mullen plays good solid football and is as average coach but not worth more than 3 million/year, max

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Side note Woodroe: Mullen exhibits zero queasiness in snatching staff and recruits from MSU.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Looks like you see something that many others do not. I thought his comments were fine, not insulting at all.

Different stokes I guess.........

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Looks like you see something that many others do not. I thought his comments were fine, not insulting at all.

Different stokes I guess.........
Fans don’t understand why an athletic director can’t “just go and get him,” Stricklin said.
“It’s not like going to Best Buy and buying a television,” Stricklin said.
Said fans were playing "fantasy athletic director".

When someone that I send several thousand dollars to every year thinks I'm that ignorant and holds my opinion in such low regard it makes me want UF to find someone else to send my money to.

I know that my individual opinion has absolutely no weight. I get it. He can't please everybody. Gator fans can be spoiled rotten little brats. Me included. I know we make it hard on a coach, an AD, even players. I readily admit in my sig that I am a knowitall. But I can do that. He can't (without aggravating me).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fans don’t understand why an athletic director can’t “just go and get him,” Stricklin said.

When someone that I send several thousand dollars to every year thinks I'm that ignorant and holds my opinion in such low regard it makes me want UF to find someone else to send my money to.

I know that my individual opinion has absolutely no weight. I get it. He can't please everybody. Gator fans can be spoiled rotten little brats. Me included. I know we make it hard on a coach, an AD, even players. I readily admit in my sig that I am a knowitall. But I can do that. He can't (without aggravating me).

Do you donate enough money that he is really going to give two $hits about your opinion?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

So...is the real reason you're pissed at him the fact that he didn't include you by name as one of the reasons his job is so tough?

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

He was talking about fans in general terms, not about you specifically. Some fans are ignorant. I don't see the comments as insulting.

YMMV

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
So...is the real reason you're pissed at him the fact that he didn't include you by name as one of the reasons his job is so tough?
Nah. I'm aggravated we didn't have an AD that when asked "What makes hiring a football coach more difficult than fans realize?" says "I love all our fans, they're part of the reason these kids get a free education, part of the reason I have a job. If I could make them all happy I would. I did my best to accomplish that. I'm glad they are invested in our program. I'm sure most of them can probably empathize or at least sympathize with the difficult positions that decision-makers get put in."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.