Stricklin: Hiring a football coach more difficult than fans realize

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Says the man who has been spouting about a market place without any real knowledge of the marketplace.
But, really, if you want to whip out our knowledges and compare, I can make mine as big as yours...............by folding it in half.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Nah. I'm aggravated we didn't have an AD that when asked "What makes hiring a football coach more difficult than fans realize?" says "I love all our fans, they're part of the reason these kids get a free education, part of the reason I have a job. If I could make them all happy I would. I did my best to accomplish that. I'm glad they are invested in our program. I'm sure most of them can probably empathize or at least sympathize with the difficult positions that decision-makers get put in."

Ah, I get it. Woodroe wants "his belly rubbed".

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
It is possible to find fault with anyone's performance in any arena, at any time. Has the new AD's every move been deft or his every word golden? No, of course not. Are honest miscalculations, poorly chosen words and other missteps along the way an unavoidable part of life in one of the most closely watched fish bowls in all of sports? I think so. In my opinion (which is worth exactly 2 cents) it would appear that we did better with the DM hire than I first thought. Whatever the eventual outcome of the actions taken by the current AD turns out to be, I am willing at this point to STFU about previous blunders (real or imagined) and support my HC, my AD, and most importantly, my team.

The disruptive, self-defeating rancor that has arisen among our ranks came about as a result of 8 catastrophic years of incompetence at every level of the program. The fact that someone's cud has soured, as a result of the fantastic ineptitude we have suffered through during the late unpleasantness, is fully understandable. To be honest, mine was tasting more than a little bitter too. But at this point, talking about firing an AD who made a much needed change, based on matters of "form" as opposed to matters of "substance," is premature to say the least. Everyone is, of course, entitled to his opinion and that is the great truth that makes forums like this one so enjoyable. My thoughts at this juncture are that further storm and fury serves no useful purpose. Until we see what transpires on the field over the next 2 or 3 years, it's just glorified BS (not that there's anything wrong with that) anyway. I will say no more on this subject.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Nah. I'm aggravated we didn't have an AD that when asked "What makes hiring a football coach more difficult than fans realize?" says "I love all our fans, they're part of the reason these kids get a free education, part of the reason I have a job. If I could make them all happy I would. I did my best to accomplish that. I'm glad they are invested in our program. I'm sure most of them can probably empathize or at least sympathize with the difficult positions that decision-makers get put in."

Good points but to be fair I think he has said much of that or very close to it at different points since the hire. Not arguing with you (further) - your main point that you want our AD fully committed to UF period is spot on.

Virtual beer sliding your way...

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
All I want from my AD is endless national championships. Other than that, it's also important that when you cut him open, he bleeds orange and blue.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Fans don’t understand why an athletic director can’t “just go and get him,” Stricklin said.
“It’s not like going to Best Buy and buying a television,” Stricklin said.
Said fans were playing "fantasy athletic director".

When someone that I send several thousand dollars to every year thinks I'm that ignorant and holds my opinion in such low regard it makes me want UF to find someone else to send my money to.

I know that my individual opinion has absolutely no weight. I get it. He can't please everybody. Gator fans can be spoiled rotten little brats. Me included. I know we make it hard on a coach, an AD, even players. I readily admit in my sig that I am a knowitall. But I can do that. He can't (without aggravating me).

If you are only sending thousands. Then yes. Your opinion is held in low regard.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wood, you've certainly made your points.....over and over and over again.

There are some things you can be critical of when it comes to Stricklin (such as Mac's extension), but I don't think this answer he gave is one of them. You're eager to nail his ass, that's obvious.
It was clearly a PC comment by Stricklin... not sure why this is a big deal

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
It was clearly a PC comment by Stricklin... not sure why this is a big deal
#1 I was in a really bad mood when I read this story.
#2 It was just so damn condescending and unnecessary.
#3 He's hiding the fact that he sabotaged the search (perhaps subconsciously) in order to land his first choice without seeming like he was targeting Dan the Man.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
#1 I was in a really bad mood when I read this story.
#2 It was just so damn condescending and unnecessary.
#3 He's hiding the fact that he sabotaged the search (perhaps subconsciously) in order to land his first choice without seeming like he was targeting Dan the Man.
100% number 1 and 2
And I'll go along for the ride on number 3 just for the fun of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb