Suggestions for a carry weapon

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Re opening a stale thread.... There's soon to be a 9mm barrel you can put into a S&W shield 40 to make it a dual caliber firearm. Just drop it in and use shield 9 mags. Once I get confirmation I'll put out the word. IIRC it uses the RSA (recoil spring assembly) from the 40.

Oh and stay away from the Diamondback DB9, Personal experience... It's soon to be sent back to its birthplace. Read reports and videos on it before purchase and all said it was a fairly reliable shooter... Not in my case, FTF, FTE at least 2x per mag, And the mags only hold 6 (In my last range session out of 6 mags worth it only fired all 6 one time). On the plus side if it can be made reliable it would be the perfect pocket gun. Just a tad bit larger than wife's kel-tec P3AT.
The little P3 has always eaten whatever we've thrown at it, Same as my Shield 40.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Re opening a stale thread.... There's soon to be a 9mm barrel you can put into a S&W shield 40 to make it a dual caliber firearm. Just drop it in and use shield 9 mags. Once I get confirmation I'll put out the word. IIRC it uses the RSA (recoil spring assembly) from the 40.

Oh and stay away from the Diamondback DB9, Personal experience... It's soon to be sent back to its birthplace. Read reports and videos on it before purchase and all said it was a fairly reliable shooter... Not in my case, FTF, FTE at least 2x per mag, And the mags only hold 6 (In my last range session out of 6 mags worth it only fired all 6 one time). On the plus side if it can be made reliable it would be the perfect pocket gun. Just a tad bit larger than wife's kel-tec P3AT.
The little P3 has always eaten whatever we've thrown at it, Same as my Shield 40.

For the Glock(ers) out there......
http://www.galatiinternational.com/category/LoneWolfDist.html

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Almost every gun from a major manufacturer is a reliable thing these days.

I also agree that Diamondback isnt one of them. Ive also seen many problems with Keltecs though also. If you got a good one, then good for you but in my mind with Ruger LCP, similar Smiths and others available for only a few dollars more than a Keltec, there is little reason to take the risk.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Walther CCP 9mm has great recoil control but can be a b*tch to clean, but it is an easy draw and has a safety that is well placed and not a detriment to timing/use. Plus regularly can be under $400.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Some more food for thought:

Durty forgot to add that with Glocks if you stay within caliber the magazines will fit interchangeably between all of their models. (standard, compact, & sub compacts)

Only issue for Glock, for me, as CCW is the bulkiness of the sub-compact and compact models can give you some concealment anxiety.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Almost every gun from a major manufacturer is a reliable thing these days.

I also agree that Diamondback isnt one of them. Ive also seen many problems with Keltecs though also. If you got a good one, then good for you but in my mind with Ruger LCP, similar Smiths and others available for only a few dollars more than a Keltec, there is little reason to take the risk.
I had a Keltec PF-9 which was a jam-o-matic until I polished the feed ramp with a dremel. Never had a jam after that.

I still have the Keltec but it never makes it in the carry rotation because of my Shield.

I've got a LCP .380 for when I just am lazy and want to carry in my pocket and no holster.I like it for that and fire recoil is not bad. This is a bigger version so might require holster to be concealed.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good pocket holster. Your nuts may thank you one day.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Carry my shield 40 IWB with a Remora sticky holster, Stays fine unless I wear loose clothing then I need to use a belt, If you get one make sure you get the full sweat shield, That way no part of the gun touches your skin.

I know the kel-tec doesn't have a good rep but it beats carrying a hi-point. She likes it and isn't afraid of it.

(Or a diamondback... Hence I now carry the S&W)

At least with a hi-point if if jams you have a good chance of killing the perp by throwing that brick at them.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have had a carry permit since 1987 and I have carried alot of different guns. For the last 10 years I have carried a commander size 1911. I carry cocked and locked, the only way to carry in my opinion. Occasionally I carry a full size 1911 since I just happen to own 20 1911s.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Suicide-Squad-1.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
IMG_3964.JPG
I have had a carry permit since 1987 and I have carried alot of different guns. For the last 10 years I have carried a commander size 1911. I carry cocked and locked, the only way to carry in my opinion. Occasionally I carry a full size 1911 since I just happen to own 20 1911s.
Commanders were made for my hand. My Wiley Clapp Colt Commander is my favorite, but I usually carry my CZ.
Here's my Wiley Clapp and my 1911 (not A1, it's got a serial number from 1918 and has been in the family for about as long).

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Commanders were made for my hand. My Wiley Clapp Colt Commander is my favorite, but I usually carry my CZ.
Here's my Wiley Clapp and my 1911 (not A1, it's got a serial number from 1918 and has been in the family for about as long).
be44aa7252d2b7bc507bfcbea9c8a3ec27db9eb58a64c96c871a12c84035cc28.jpg

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Thats funny. I have been carrying my Wiley Clapp commander for a year or so....

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If you guys ever need to price check something, I am an FFL so I would be glad to help. Not looking to sell anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.