Suggestions for varmint gun

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
My property is completely surrounded by water except for the driveway. So I don't get a lot of stray animals coming here although there are many in my rather rural neighborhood. So I've not really worried about them much. But I now have a pet turkey that wants to stay out at night and she got the worst of a fight some months ago leading to some embarrassingly high vet bills.

So I think it is time to get a varmint rifle to take out any raccoons and/or possums that come on the property before they have a chance to cause any trouble. I've thought about a 22 and also had a recommendation of a 410 shotgun.

Anyone care to offer suggestions or recommendations.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My property is completely surrounded by water except for the driveway. So I don't get a lot of stray animals coming here although there are many in my rather rural neighborhood. So I've not really worried about them much. But I now have a pet turkey that wants to stay out at night and she got the worst of a fight some months ago leading to some embarrassingly high vet bills.

So I think it is time to get a varmint rifle to take out any raccoons and/or possums that come on the property before they have a chance to cause any trouble. I've thought about a 22 and also had a recommendation of a 410 shotgun.

Anyone care to offer suggestions or recommendations.
Two or three live traps might be your best bet. Check Amazon. Use marshmallows to bait for raccoon.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kinda depends on the area you live in too. .22s are great varmint guns, but they have a pretty long range and that's dangerous if you have neighbors within a mile or so. 410 is probably next best and you don't have the range or velocity to worry so much about. I mean other than being completely stupid and firing directly at someone's home. I don't see you as one of them folks tho.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
What if the varmint is coyote? I'm on 10 acres with lake on west and similar neighbor acreage north/south. We've had coyote and bobcat pass through and lost a terrier to attack.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What if the varmint is coyote? I'm on 10 acres with lake on west and similar neighbor acreage north/south. We've had coyote and bobcat pass through and lost a terrier to attack.
What do you figure? 7mm mag?

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.

Some years ago, I had a visit from a bobcat (I had goats at the time) but had no problems. I had called to make sure it was okay to take the bobcat out if it was a threat but it wasn't and, to be honest, it was a beautiful animal.

Every now and then, we get a stray dog or two on the property but those are usually easily sent off. Never any coyotes.

I've seen foxes nearby but none has ever come on my property.

Animals seem to sense that coming onto my property is a dead end and avoid it for that reason.

I hadn't really thought about range but we do have neighbors across the water (some canals so not that far away) and sometimes obscured by trees and brush along the water.

Range to these varmints would be no more than 50-60 feet. So, a .410 would be effective at that range and present a minimal down range risk?

Also, regarding a .410 -- would that be a gun my girl friend would be comfortable in using. I've got a 12 gauge Mossberg and I know that kickback would.

I've not had good luck with traps in the past but they may be worth a try.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.

Some years ago, I had a visit from a bobcat (I had goats at the time) but had no problems. I had called to make sure it was okay to take the bobcat out if it was a threat but it wasn't and, to be honest, it was a beautiful animal.

Every now and then, we get a stray dog or two on the property but those are usually easily sent off. Never any coyotes.

I've seen foxes nearby but none has ever come on my property.

Animals seem to sense that coming onto my property is a dead end and avoid it for that reason.

I hadn't really thought about range but we do have neighbors across the water (some canals so not that far away) and sometimes obscured by trees and brush along the water.

Range to these varmints would be no more than 50-60 feet. So, a .410 would be effective at that range and present a minimal down range risk?

Also, regarding a .410 -- would that be a gun my girl friend would be comfortable in using. I've got a 12 gauge Mossberg and I know that kickback would.

I've not had good luck with traps in the past but they may be worth a try.
I spent 4 years trapping, removing and killing nuisance wildlife as part of a commercial pest control company. We trapped and killed Coyotes, raccoons, armadillos, wild hog, opossums, turkeys, birds, feral cats and snakes that found their way around the commercial buildings we serviced.
So here's a few things I learned. The first couple of things are that you will not catch coyote or bobcats in a live trap without using live bait, a bunny rabbit works best. The second thing is if you trap an animal forget about relocating and releasing it unless you're willing to drive at least 25 miles or so and risk getting caught releasing it. A lot of times cats and raccoons will find their way back. We tested this by spray painting both raccoons and cats when releasing them sometimes 10 or more miles from where we captured them. Once trapped and then released they are next to impossible to trap or get close enough to shot a second time. I would avoid trying to shoot at them unless you are a good shot and at a close distance. If you miss they become very cautious but may not leave.....In other words they become better pest....Save your ammo until the last step as I'll explain later.

Your best bet is to try trapping them first. Leave your traps outside to help eliminate human odor, under trees and in the dirt are great places. Once deciding what you're trying to trap you'll be able to determine the size trap to use and what bait to use. Look for "paths" where animals have been walking as they will tend to use a route when foraging. Place the traps close to the path. Use multiple traps as sometimes curious animals will spring a trap while investigating it or figuring out how to get in.

Once trapped be very careful if you have to move the trap, most have handles on the top. I always used heavy gloves and sometimes a hook to lift the trap. Feral cats and raccoons can stick their arms through the openings and have laser sharp claws. Now to the final step....If your trap and animal are in an out of the way place where you can't be seen by anyone, you're golden, if not then move it to such a spot. Now comes the fun part....Take the firearm of choice and tap or poke at the trap with it which will usually make the trapped animal jump at the barrel and blow the little bastards head off.....then discreetly dispose of the body. Job done.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
The last time I set out a trap, I only caught some of my own outdoor cats of which I have about 6 or 7 (some of which were abandoned by neighbors, by the way). But I'm sure my technique wasn't the best..

But by the time I would know I would need to set traps, the varmint would likely have already killed my turkey that won't go in her area at night.

All the other birds are pretty smart and know to go inside their little homes at night where they are safe.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
7e4eb224683f1bf905cdea08d25db771.jpg

You're in luck, Thankgiving is coming soon! I have had great luck with the dry brine method, simply rub the bird with the same amount of salt that you would normally season it with and place it in the refrigerator UNCOVERED 24 hours before you plan to put it in the oven. The salt will draw water to the surface of the skin and then through a capillary type action will draw the water back deep into the flesh. Makes the meat extremely moist. I like to rub the outside with canola or olive oil and seasonings minus salt of course before going into the oven or smoker and makes the skin real crispy.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The last time I set out a trap, I only caught some of my own outdoor cats of which I have about 6 or 7 (some of which were abandoned by neighbors, by the way). But I'm sure my technique wasn't the best..

But by the time I would know I would need to set traps, the varmint would likely have already killed my turkey that won't go in her area at night.

All the other birds are pretty smart and know to go inside their little homes at night where they are safe.
That turkey takes after her daddy. Marshmallows make the best bait for coon traps, cats don't like them but coons love them.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
LOL -- It is a show turkey, a pet turkey as it were.

I promised my girl friend we would not resort to eating any of our flock of birds (chickens, turkeys and guineas) unless Hillary is elected president and the economy crashes.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Is it possible the cats are going after the Turkey? I'd shoot those bastards too just in case...

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LOL -- It is a show turkey, a pet turkey as it were.

I promised my girl friend we would not resort to eating any of our flock of birds (chickens, turkeys and guineas) unless Hillary is elected president and the economy crashes.

SHOW.jpg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I planning to get Mossberg Maverick 20 gauge pump action and use lighter loads.
Are you seeing these varmints? If not what are you shooting? I would suspect dogs , wild or otherwise .

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you say varmints or marmots? We've got marmots all over the place out here.

Marmot-edit1.jpg

alpine-marmot-hohe-tauern-national-park-austria-normal.jpg

@jesse_kopp-marmot-kick.-Its-good.jpg

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Are you seeing these varmints? If not what are you shooting? I would suspect dogs , wild or otherwise .

Well first of all, I would never just shoot something blindly without seeing it and knowing what it was. I hope that your remark in that regard was made in jest.

In some 14+ years, we've never had any wild dogs on the property -- in fact, we've only had neighborhood dogs here 2 or 3 times. For whatever reason, people seem to keep control of their dogs around here and, as I said before, the configuration of our property is such that animals tend to avoid it as it is a dead end with only one narrow way in and out.

The varmints I'm concerned about are possums and raccoons and I am mostly concerned with raccoons. Right now, I don't have any on the property but the one turkey is vulnerable so if I see a raccoon, I would want to take it out before it causes problems. And again, I haven't shot anything yet and at this point, I don't really have a proper firearm -- the whole point of this thread was to get ideas on what might work the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.