Sully is staying!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMO, the only two sports where paying to retain coaching talent is a necessity is football and basketball.

We are a big enough school to support paying big money for Sully but I would've been OK either way.

As far as picking coaches, he obviously made a disastrous one with Chump. Not a single person out there would've thought that the program would've taken a dump like that. Where the criticism is warranted, is all the guaranteed money while production continued to get lower and lower.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In my mind women's basketball and baseball are two areas UF has not done what it should historically. I hope moves leads to UF being consistently good for another decade or more. UF should always be good in baseball and some of the down times have been quite puzzling to me.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
They were paying that guy over a million bucks a year to coach college baseball? That is crazy if true. No way should a college baseball coach get anything like that with the financial realities of that sport. I hope that million dollar figure is a multi year contract.

If 299,999,999 Americans think $1 million for a college baseball coach is too much, and one AD with a job to fill thinks it's OK, guess which side of the value proposition wins ...

hop&skipnorth

Jun 4, 2016
If 299,999,999 Americans think $1 million for a college baseball coach is too much, and one AD with a job to fill thinks it's OK, guess which side of the value proposition wins ...

The salaries for sports figures has been out of kilter for quite sometime, now. You look at the ridiculous salaries being lavished on run of the mill journeyman players and coaches in football, basketball and baseball and it is just totally absurd. Yet, the same people who see no problem with paying Danny Dirtbag, a player that couldn't hit his weight if he was anorexic 5 million a year goes totally ballistic if the law enforcement personnel, the military or firefighters get a quarter an hour raise. Strike the military from that. They are on call 24/7/365 and don't get paid by the hour much less play games 6 months a year for a living.

Last edited:

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cool, more trip to Omaha to leave empty handed.

Obviously you were hoping that Sully went to Texas. So tell me who you would have preferred rather than the guy who's got us to Omaha just about every year? Sully may turn out to be another Mike Martin as far as titles are concerned but if you don't at least get your team to Omaha, you have no chance to win one. With the amount of talent that he is consistently bringing in, I would be surprised if he doesn't win at least one if not more NCs before he's done.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Obviously you were hoping that Sully went to Texas. So tell me who you would have preferred rather than the guy who's got us to Omaha just about every year? Sully may turn out to be another Mike Martin as far as titles are concerned but if you don't at least get your team to Omaha, you have no chance to win one. With the amount of talent that he is consistently bringing in, I would be surprised if he doesn't win at least one if not more NCs before he's done.

Seems alot like a football coach we used to have. He got us to the playoffs several times but it took him some time to win a NC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I take pride in our Gator baseball teams. I like that. So I hope this is a double pay, second to first.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Seems alot like a football coach we used to have. He got us to the playoffs several times but it took him some time to win a NC.

I didn't know the playoffs existed for D-1 college football until a few years ago. I must have been watching a different Gator team in 2014 when the playoffs first began because I thought we sucked donkey balls that season and would have had no chance of qualifying for anything with a 7-5 (or something close to that) record. Muschamp must have been much better than we gave him credit for. :)

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
They were paying that guy over a million bucks a year to coach college baseball?

No, what happened is that Sully's agent (who happens to be Muschamp's agent) spread the rumor that the Texas coach was getting paid $1m and he also spread the rumor that Texas was interested in Sully. The agent figured that if Foley was dumb enough to give Muschamp a no offset guaranteed contract with a huge raise and an extension after one good (but lucky) season, then he would probably be dumb enough to pay Sully an outrageous sum of money. Foley fell for the trick...hook, line and sinker.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I didn't know the playoffs existed for D-1 college football until a few years ago. I must have been watching a different Gator team in 2014 when the playoffs first began because I thought we sucked donkey balls that season and would have had no chance of qualifying for anything with a 7-5 (or something close to that) record. Muschamp must have been much better than we gave him credit for. :)

Does everything have to be so specific? I think most knew who I was referring to...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No, what happened is that Sully's agent (who happens to be Muschamp's agent) spread the rumor that the Texas coach was getting paid $1m and he also spread the rumor that Texas was interested in Sully. The agent figured that if Foley was dumb enough to give Muschamp a no offset guaranteed contract with a huge raise and an extension after one good (but lucky) season, then he would probably be dumb enough to pay Sully an outrageous sum of money. Foley fell for the trick...hook, line and sinker.

Look it up! Auggie was making 1 million plus. It's public school so use google. He has won more college baseball games than anybody else and 5 NCs.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Everyone is doing it, hell Louisville is paying theirs over 1 mill

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This is good news, obviously. I'm just surprised how much college baseball coaches are making. What do you think the position coach at Stetson or Florida Southern makes? $40K?

Just curious, any reason you chose FL Southern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator