Supreme Court weighs baker's refusal to make cake for gay couple

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gator Fever, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

1. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    You have obviously have not read all of my messages...I HATE and I (no pun) hate any and all groups, religious or not religious who openly discriminate and hide behind some type of irrational rational that has no place in 21st century HUMANITY (see my reference to muslims, north koreans and russians)....so it is not just christians. ****, even Santa Claus discriminates against non christian kids!!! BASTARD!

In all seriousness. Just so you know where I stand. I am 100% for inclusion and non marginalizing people. If my message came across as all muslims, russians, north koreans and christians all hate gays, I sincerely apologize. It was not my intent. But since the topic was about the baker's christian beliefs, I asked a serious question, why the hatred and discrimination towards gays.....(hey at least I didn't ask why all people in Alabama still hate blacks, unless they play football)

2. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    So if they didn't want to serve a veteran, a person with a disability, a white person, a black person, a woman, a man that is ok??? Ummmm....sure, I love your logic ...please tell me where you live so I never drive through your town.

3. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $176
    Ratings:
    +3,860 / -28
    As a business they have that right. Just like the cake case, doesn't mean I have to agree with it. As a business it is their right.

By your logic, business should be forced to cater to anyone because of government interaction.

4. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    Fortunately, yes we have laws on the books that keep businesses from discrimination, like the fair housing act of 1964 (which ended systematic housing discrimination by getting rid of red lining)....so yes, the govt can tell you who you are allowed and not allowed to discriminate against.

5. Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $158
    Ratings:
    +747 / -7
    Who said anyone hates gays. If they're happy and don't infringe on me I'm happy for them. Happiness is a great gift. I do believe that the term marriage should be reserved for a man and woman. All the rights and privileges of marriage should be afforded them but they're smart folks and should figure out their own name for their union.

6. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $176
    Ratings:
    +3,860 / -28
    I didn't realize making a cake was the same as having a roof over someone's head... my bad. Do you think if you are business owner you should be told you have to sell to someone you don't want to? Unlike housing, is there a reasonable substitute product for cake like other cake? Your comparison is apple and oranges.

I disagree with their stance, it's fcking cake. But I agree they have the right to make that choice. Just like other customers have the right to decide if they want to deal with their products based on their choice.

7. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    Just curious...why should it be reserved for ONLY a man and a woman....once again, not trying to start an argument, but please enlighten me. I feel that I have enlightened everyone that I am pro-inclusiveness and anti-marginalizing. I like hearing the "why's" behind someone's views. Why do you believe that marriage should only be a man and a woman?

8. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $195
    Ratings:
    +6,828 / -10
    In terms of PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION only.

Did you read what I wrote? We are talking about the line between public accommodation and expression.

I can't refuse to sell you a gallon of gas. All my gallons of gas are the same.
    I can't refuse to sell you a Big Mac. All my Big Macs are the same.
    I can't refuse to rent you a hotel room. All my hotel rooms are the same.
    I can't refuse to sell you a cake I baked out of the case.
    BUT...can I refuse to make a CUSTOM cake for you that expresses a point of view I oppose? That's not the same as getting the next gallon of gas, the next Big Mac, the next hotel room, or the next cake. You are forcing me to create an expression I disagree with.

Again, did you read what I wrote?

There is no discrimination against a gay or straight customer. The denial is based on the expressive content of the cake.

If a straight guy asks for a wedding cake with two grooms on it, the answer is no. If a gay guy asks for a cake with a bride and groom, the answer is yes. It's the message, not the customer.

I'm repeating myself.

Alex.

9. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0
    So declining to bake a cake = HATE?

I don't see the HATE. But it is obvious you do.

10. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0
    There is that word again. I am seeing a pattern here.

11. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0
    Seem you are those things when you agree with them, not if you HATE them.

12. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $195
    Ratings:
    +6,828 / -10
    Personally, I don't think the government should be involved in marriage at all. Why do I need to government's blessing to marry?

The government can have laws against child sex, incest, bestiality, etc. That's reasonable. But why should the government be involved in marriage?

Government has birth certificates and citizenship. Churches have baptism and membership.
    Government has elected officials. Churches have holy orders.
    Government has taxation. Churches have tithing.
    Government has death certificates. Churches have last rites.

Government didn't even get involved in marriage until fairly recently.

Marriage should be between you and who or whatever you marry, and your religious institution if you ascribe to one.

If anything, the Government should have some simple mechanism in place to recognize paternity, inheritance, that sort of thing.

Marriage is none of their business.

Alex.

13. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0
    It is a religious belief. Marriage is a sacrament before God. You are free to believe what you want, just as I am.

It is also a personal belief that the nature order of things are a man and a woman marry, and reproduce. It is the best unit to raise kids.

14. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    Agreed to Alex's post re govt vs church! (see? I don't HATE everything, LOL)

#34 Windy City Gator, Dec 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 3:30 PM
  15. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    Thank you for explaining....i agree to disagree because I have seen many F-ed marriages between men/women that are NOT best to raise kids, and have seen WONDERFUL same sex parents...but luckily we do not live in a world of stereotypes. ;)

16. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $148
    Ratings:
    +6,697 / -9
    Where do you stand on polygamy?

17. diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $242
    Ratings:
    +2,117 / -35
    Then open up a bakery.
    I can really tell you don't discriminate.

18. Windy City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    I honestly do not have enough information to have an informed/intelligent response....don't want it to sound like a cop out...but I have never known (to my knowledge) a polygamist. I like to get my information first hand....talk to those who have opinions...hence why I like this board....get a wide spectrum of views...but I have ZERO information on polygamy.....

19. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $148
    Ratings:
    +6,697 / -9
    They are consenting adults, what’s the problem? What information would you need to gather? If you’re against it, do you hate Islam? You would appear to have a very strong, if not absolute, opinion on whether or not two consenting adults (regardless of gender) can marry, what additional information could you possibly need to decide if it’s OK to add one or more other consenting adults to that marriage?

For the record, I don’t have a problem with what consenting adults want to do. Also for the record, like Alex, I have a problem with govt getting in the middle of it.

20. diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $242
    Ratings:
    +2,117 / -35
    I hate a-holes that throw around the word discriminate out of stupidity.