Supreme Court weighs baker's refusal to make cake for gay couple

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gator Fever, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

1. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    Then explain why it is not discrimination that Santa only visits the christian kids on xmas eve? hmmmmm you would think he would make a run to the middle east since that where the savior was supposedly born and drop a few presents in the former spot of the manger. But NOOOOO, he is only going to christian kids' homes and on top of that only the ones who were GOOD!!! That is such selective discrimination!!!! Hence why I called him a bastard!

2. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0

I don't disagree with your observations. I didn't say a man/woman unit is the only one that can raise kids well or that all man / woman units were all great parents. So no, I did not stereotype.

I just think it is more natural and better in general for kids to be raised by a mom and a dad.

3. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $148
    Ratings:
    +6,697 / -9
    Ahhh yes, the “comedic deflection” technique... usually people put the smiley emoji at the end of it.

4. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $54
    Ratings:
    +59 / -0

That's the funniest sh1t I have read today. Thanks!

5. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $58
    Ratings:
    +132 / -18
    I learned the art of deflection from Trump...ask him a question, and he always brings up Hillary or Obama without answering....quite effective.

6. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $195
    Ratings:
    +6,828 / -10
    St. Nicholas was born, lived, preached, and died in the Middle East.

There are Christians in the Middle East.

There used to be more. But most were killed or driven away (many were forcibly converted).

In St. Nicholas' homeland, there were a couple of Christian genocides in the early 20th Century. The word "genocide" was invented for what the Turks did to the Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrians in Asia Minor.

Alex.

7. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $375
    Ratings:
    +3,209 / -11
    As I have opined numerous times previously, marriage is an institution created/originated by God, and it is exclusively defined by Him - a joining of a man and woman.

By definition, two members of the same sex cannot be joined in marriage. They can enter a civil union or some other legal arrangement, but a marriage is an exclusive term. God is not all inclusive concerning this topic.

For the record, I too think the govt should be completely uninvolved in anything concerning marriage. If two people wish to enter into a civil union, they should be afforded every right as any other two, or three, or 12 people, animals or inanimate objects.

8. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $261
    Ratings:
    +4,235 / -66
    I agree the only thing recognized should have been civil unions with the same govt benefits that married people get.

9. Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $158
    Ratings:
    +747 / -7
    To start with I'm an old fart but mostly it's a religious thing and has been that way for several thousand years, that's a lot of smart people passing through. It's a source of pride for me and frankly I don't see why gay people would want to identify with that title considering they don't have that type of affection for the opposite sex. I really believe it's another way to water down Christianity and bit by bit make it totally irrelevant over time. They should be satisfied with a name of their own choosing and cherish it the same as I do the name marriage and what means to me.

10. Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $158
    Ratings:
    +747 / -7
    I'll have to have a talk with him about that next time I'm at the North Pole! ;)

11. TLB

TLB No Snow...No Snow...No Snow...
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $195
    Ratings:
    +2,679 / -33
    :grin:

12. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $264
    Ratings:
    +1,496 / -148
    And the benefits that married people get should be eliminated or reduced. That is one part of the proposed tax plan I oppose. We don't need more children, so why give a benefit to them. Eliminating the personal deduction has not been mentioned, it is a negative for everyone who is retired without dependent children.

I also heard today that the suit had nothing to do with a "cake" but rather was getting society to accept lifestyles that are not what they think appropriate. If that is true they should lose immediately in my view.

13. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $282
    Ratings:
    +1,096 / -12
    I read Windy City’s post, shuddered at the ignorance and thought, “How do I even begin to answer this idiocy and how much time would that take?”

You, sir, wrapped it up in very clear analogies that keep the focus on the issue, not defending regions or a religion etc. WHICH IS EXACTLY THE POINT. WE DON’T HAVE TO PASS A RELIGIOUS TEST.

You are my hero for today.

(And if someone wants to take seriously religious stances on issues then take the time to read up on it rather than making snap judgments while admitting no knowledge of the subject. Or, look at a CDC report...)

14. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $264
    Ratings:
    +1,496 / -148
    He does??? "always" means 100% of the time, I bet that is not correct.

15. Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $340
    Ratings:
    +4,746 / -12
    I appreciate Alex's comments on public accommodations and the rights of people of different groups to stay there. The baker is in a sense an artist. He created a piece of art by how he decorates his cake. He is not refusing to sell anyone a cake. A gay person can still buy a cake from him. The baker has a right to decorate his cake anyway he damn well sees fit and the gay person can buy it, not buy, or go somewhere else to buy his cake. The baker sells cakes. Anyone can go in and buy a damn cake. The baker should not be forced to bake you a cake you like. Just like if I have a hotel room for rent you can stay in my hotel, but I don't have to decorate the hotel room to your tastes. You can go somewhere else if you like.

To carry this one step further -- forcing the baker to make a cake according to the state's mandate is in a sense forcing the state's idea of artistic expression or religious expression or any other type of expression down the throat of the baker. The baker is a free man. He can believe anyway he wants to believe. You might not agree with his beliefs and that's fine. But once the state starts telling a baker what kind of cake he can make, then it can tell the musician what kind of music to play, it can tell the poet what kinds of poems he can write, it can tell the painter what kind of picture he can paint. If the government can tell the baker what kind of cake he can make, or cannot make, then it is in a sense a form of thought control. The government is saying you can't have these beliefs. If you insist on having these beliefs then we will shut you down.

It's not the government's business to be telling a baker what kind of cakes he can make. It is the government's business that if the baker opens up a bake shop selling cakes to the general public then he cannot discriminate to whom he sell cakes to. He has to sell them a cake. But he doesn't have to make them or sell them a cake he doesn't like.

16. Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $181
    Ratings:
    +4,467 / -87
    I'm not reading through this whole thread so please tell me, Did he make a cake for the [email protected] or not? And more importantly who the f vck wants a cake from someone who doesn't want to make it for you?

17. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $193
    Ratings:
    +4,258 / -190
    [​IMG]
    Times were so much simpler then. Now we have to have elaborate decorated cakes..............What gets me is how they can put a photo on a cake.........Should the butcher the baker or even the candle stick maker be forced to acquiesce in how they decorate their products..............Alex made a good point about the Jewish deli owner having to make swastika shaped Latkas for the nazi get together...........but then are gay people as bad as nazis? It sounds frivolous to me. Find a baker that will put adam and steve on the cake. But said baker will put the images of women and men up there with no regard for the real humans they represent. Many will be divorced in a few years or birth and neglect children but at least it was biblical.............

18. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $194
    Ratings:
    +3,971 / -70
    I think this is all about whether big government will be able to micromanage behavior whenever and however it wants.

We've gone from a situation in which discrimination against specific groups is prohibited for public accommodations. But this is an attempt to define illegal discrimination based on whichever groups are able to appeal to liberal ruling elites and government force goes well beyond public accommodations to what had traditionally been viewed as private behavior.

But the liberal ruling elites are inconsistent. While they demand that a baker change his art to suit some favored protected group, Muslim taxi drivers in Minneapolis, a public accommodation by any definition, are not required to provide rides to people carrying unopened bottles of alcoholic beverages.

19. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $261
    Ratings:
    +4,235 / -66
    I think he refused and then the state sanctioned him that he had to in the future and had to make his employees take training that they would follow the state law also.

20. gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $192
    Ratings:
    +1,182 / -5
    Just find a new baker. These are targeted for a reason. It’s not hate to say I disagree with you based on my faith. Hate would be saying we should stone them. Any normal person would just find a new baker.

I think a lot of people running around saying they are tired of hate need to pay attention to what people on their “side” are actually saying. Glass houses and all.