Swain and Hammond

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What is the deal with these two guys?

It seems like neither of them can get any separation. A&M was playing a ton of true freshman in the secondary and our WRs couldn't get open? Is it an issue with scheme and routes? It is hard to see on TV it there are open guys running open and Franks is missing them or if they just aren't open.

These are two 4* WRs that don't seem to have the ability to get open.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Possibly because like every position on the field, they simply don't know what they are doing. And they don't know what they are doing because our coaches are terrible football coaches.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We hope it's coaching receiver development, another wasted year of teaching kids bad habits that another coach has to fix or call the kid a bust. We're not seeing the WR Corp billed over the off season. Franks has missed some 'opens' but overall, their practicing the waltz with DBs.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's 100% scheme this offense is terrible it doesn't matter who calls plays.
Only way it works is if we have a roster full of first round picks on offense.
It's pretty embarrassing that were still trying to mimic an Alabama offense that Saban abandoned.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I didn't realize this, but this is Dixon's 1st job coaching WRs.

I swear, every time I analyze coach Mac, I get more annoyed.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's 100% scheme this offense is terrible it doesn't matter who calls plays.
Only way it works is if we have a roster full of first round picks on offense.
It's pretty embarrassing that were still trying to mimic an Alabama offense that Saban abandoned.
This....It's a system based on power football 101 that works well when you have top 5 offensive talent........and/or a stellar QB who can read more than half of the field.....We have had NEITHER in 8 years.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Not gonna say Frank's doesn't have issues but it's not like our receivers get open

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It is hard to see on TV it there are open guys running open and Franks is missing them or if they just aren't open.
There are guys coming open late a few times. Problem is they are usually on the left side of the field and we don't have a QB and/or protection to allow him to see and throw the ball to them....Go back to the 2015 FSU game and you will see they coached their DB's to release early any WR on the left side of the field because they knew our QB wouldn't have the time or ability to make them pay.....This has not been corrected by our staff(protection or route tree) and is well known and scout by every team we play....The result is that if we can't wear a team down running the ball we lose.....and we ain't that much of a bad ass against the big boys. Rinse and repeat.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We have had a run of small DB for a while, who do the WR practice against. Both sides of the ball tend to get abused by physical receivers/DB. It is like we are trying to play finesse while getting smacked in the mouth. If you are blazing fast or have great instincts you can overcome this somewhat. Look at the number of times we can't get off of a minor handcheck/holding which happens on every play. A physical receiver, either with body strength or minor arm motion can help get separation, vs needing a full length stiff arm. Strength and conditioning has been a thread for several years.

Then add in technique and disciplined route running....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Poor coaching

I believe this coach-staff adopted Mac's peripatetic thinking, thereby skipping over some fundamental position execution needs. For WRs, I think they neglect drilling in the "art" of juking the DB off-balance at the right time in the pass pattern. Only the WR-with-QB know where they're going to meet the ball. It should be like Ike Hilliard's daze.

Boy, these gifted WRs would love emphasizing the plants that would toss-off a DB in their break-wake. This is how coaches create team enthusiasm, giving player-positions mentally disciplined advantage over their opposing face-offs. UF lacks that groundwork and the motivation never gets a foothold. It's all on the coaching style.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I will say this specifically about the last nite and it has probably been mentioned ad nauseum, but every time it was a pass play I looked down field, and 99% of the time, there was not one Gator receiver running a meaningful route between the hash marks. Everyone was outside and FF looked outside immediately. The only time FF will purposely throw down the middle is if it is a deep ball. Amazing how our opponents will run crosses and rub routes and a guy will come free wide open over the middle of the field about 15 yards deep. Not a portion of the field this staff wants to explore.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Freddie could have caught the pass in the endzone if he had timed his jump better - alas it was a nice interception and that's kind of where we are these days, missing our top two wideouts; but even more devastating is that we appear to be without a clue from the ADs office on down.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I will say this specifically about the last nite and it has probably been mentioned ad nauseum, but every time it was a pass play I looked down field, and 99% of the time, there was not one Gator receiver running a meaningful route between the hash marks. Everyone was outside and FF looked outside immediately. The only time FF will purposely throw down the middle is if it is a deep ball. Amazing how our opponents will run crosses and rub routes and a guy will come free wide open over the middle of the field about 15 yards deep. Not a portion of the field this staff wants to explore.

Well they explored the middle on the last Gator play of the game...a completion to a TAMU LB.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I believe this coach-staff adopted Mac's peripatetic thinking, thereby skipping over some fundamental position execution needs. For WRs, I think they neglect drilling in the "art" of juking the DB off-balance at the right time in the pass pattern. Only the WR-with-QB know where they're going to meet the ball. It should be like Ike Hilliard's daze.

Boy, these gifted WRs would love emphasizing the plants that would toss-off a DB in their break-wake. This is how coaches create team enthusiasm, giving player-positions mentally disciplined advantage over their opposing face-offs. UF lacks that groundwork and the motivation never gets a foothold. It's all on the coaching style.

The fact that A&M had 4 FRESHMAN in their secondary last night and we couldn't exploit or take advantage of that lies directly on the coaches. Any competent staff would've had a field day taking advantage of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.