Swimming with the fishes

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I was fishing on the pier in Gulf Breeze (Pensacola) years ago and the guy beside me hooked into a nice Spanish Mackerel. As he was fighting it his line went slack. When he reeled the line in all that was left was the head. Someone said a King Mackerel bit off the rest of it.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Note in the picture of me sleeping with the fishes there is a cuda in that picture. They actually eat them in the Bahama's. Our captain asked us to keep one so he could take it home to his family. We offered him a Mahi or some Tuna but he said he would rather have the Cuda.
You don't want to eat cuda, at least the big ones. They're notorious for carrying ciguatera toxin, which they acquire by eating smaller reef fish that feed on a certain type of algae that live in and around reefs. Among other effects, hot and cold sensation can be reversed, such that ice feels like boiling water and vice versa. Doesn't mean you can't fish for cuda, though!

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I was fishing on the pier in Gulf Breeze (Pensacola) years ago and the guy beside me hooked into a nice Spanish Mackerel. As he was fighting it his line went slack. When he reeled the line in all that was left was the head. Someone said a King Mackerel bit off the rest of it.
A kingfish (King Mackerel) is for sure toothy enough to bite a Spanish Mackerel in half. I dropped about a 20 pounder on my foot once and it cost me foot surgery and 5 weeks off work.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
You don't want to eat cuda, at least the big ones. They're notorious for carrying ciguatera toxin, which they acquire by eating smaller reef fish that feed on a certain type of algae that live in and around reefs. Among other effects, hot and cold sensation can be reversed, such that ice feels like boiling water and vice versa. Doesn't mean you can't fish for cuda, though!
They do consider them a delicacy in the Bahama's. I asked a local how you know which ones are safe to eat once. His answer was you feed a little to the cats and if they die it's not safe. LOL I think he was kidding. I believe the rule of thumb is anything less than 3 1/2 ft is considered safe to eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator