Swinney says Urban Meyer will quit soon

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ha! It’s actually a nice area outside of the city - I commuted from about 25 miles away. It’s not utopia, but we enjoyed it.
Lorain or Sandusky? I think we talked about that before.

People don't realize that some folks have to go where the G sends them. And even northern Ohio looks good next to Marquette, Sault Ste Marie, Traverse City, some areas of Alaska., etc.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Lorain or Sandusky? I think we talked about that before.

People don't realize that some folks have to go where the G sends them. And even northern Ohio looks good next to Marquette, Sault Ste Marie, Traverse City, some areas of Alaska., etc.

Medina - south of Cleveland and west of Akron. Nice town.

Traverse City kinda reminded me of Gville a bit (I was in nearby Frankfort, MI long ago). When Grand Traverse Bay is in view, it’s a beautiful drive.

“The Soo” is mostly a drinking town unless you enjoy hunting, ice fishing and other outdoor activities that cause frostbite.

Drove nearby but not through Marquette. Beautiful countryside, but it’s the stereotypical “middle of nowhere.” I didn’t expect to hear banjo music that far north, but I knew to keep my foot on the gas...

Seward and Juneau, AK are amazing, but it’s AK. Kodiak and Dutch Harbor (think “World’s Deadliest Catch” on Discovery Channel) were NOT my favorite port calls. Much of AK is the hunting and fishing Mecca. I prefer a golf course.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Urban's demise premature as of right now in a BLOWOUT of USC Frauds...

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
OSU just signed the #2 class. So, this talk may be a little premature. I agree though that he may be on his last leg as a head coach - and why keep doing it? He's made millions of dollars and his family is set for another two generations.
Maybe because he's a driven type A personality at heart so retiring can be anxiety producing, plus it means you are around family more after years of being absent. Not everyone really wants to hang out with their family even if they like the idea of it in theory. Big change. He could do like my relative, and work intermittently, like being an episodic or part time commentator.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I never said he wasn't a great coach, he's just a total doosh for the way he mailed in that last season and left behind what he himself described as a broken program. I also find all the "health issues" crap a bit hard to swallow in light of subsequent events. But I do agree that he was the second best coach in UF history, and before he broke my little heart I thought he could do no wrong. I'm still a bit butt sore about the manner in which he departed, but I'll try to be brave.
i agree with you mostly. I did start noticing he was wasting more weekly, so there was something going on that showed up in his health during the season. ( stress, getting caught, digestive issues, living on caffeine and energy drinks., any or all or other) He did not break my heart in the least, but he certainly disappointed me with his lies and lost my esteem. During the presser it had struxk me that I felt like I was listening to and watching a man who had been caught cheating and his wife had followed through on a threat that he did not expect to be fulfilled, and he was really addressing her and the kids about the meaning of famil, promising them the moon with hollow words trying to win them back. Then I found out the talk was that probably wasn't so far off.

Last edited:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well, you do have a point about Foley's bungling the replacement thing. That's just another reason to be glad that Foley will hire no more HCs - ever. Truthfully, I actually felt the same respect and admiration for Meyer that some still do to this day. I was deeply concerned about his health when the news broke and sincerely wanted him to just get well, even if it meant retiring. But after a year off, he was suddenly all better (heart's just fine thank you very much!) and lo and behold OSU opens up and he jumps on it like a street walker when the fleet comes in. At that point I just soured on the guy - fair or not, that's just how I feel. He hit a bump, caved and split. Great coach, but I still feel like we were played.

We were. That's how he handles things instead of being straightforward. Hence the Leyer label.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't find fault with the NCs - far from it. For the umpteenth time - the guy is a great coach. I just can't forget all the "Florida is the mountain top" and "the top 1% of the top 1%" stuff, referring to recruiting only high character individuals. It all just sounded so phony after the way he jumped ship and the stories about rampant pot smoking, racial discord and gang affiliations surfaced. Perhaps I did misread the situation, but I really don't think so. I've had my little say and now I'm done. Good night to all.
it was phony, and manipulative. And that is disrespectful. That's how he was. Maybe he's grown up and can be more real, but it's more likely ingrained in his personality.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ohio State committee approves two-year extension for Meyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ear-extension-for-meyer/ar-AAvvJ18?li=BBnba9I

After months of speculation, a new pact for Urban Meyer is quickly coming to fruition.

Ohio State announced Thursday that a committee of the Board of Trustees has approved a two-year contract extension for their head football coach. A vote on the contract as part of the full board agenda is scheduled to take place Friday.

The extension would leave Meyer signed through the 2022 season. It will also pay him $7.8 million in 2018, a raise of $1.2 million over what he pulled in last year. It will also push him past Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh as the highest-paid coach in the Big Ten and makes him the second-highest-paid head coach in college football behind Alabama’s Nick Saban.

Meyer will be entering his seventh season with the Buckeyes, with his 73 wins from 2012-17 second to Alabama in that span and his eight losses tied with ‘Bama for the fewest. On his watch, OSU has claimed at least a share of the Big Ten East/Legends division all six years, two conference championships and the 2014 national title.

“I want to thank President Michael V. Drake for his guidance and the Board of Trustees for its work in considering this extension,” athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. “I think everyone will agree that we have one of the finest coaches and mentors in Urban Meyer leading our football program.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Swinney is still above Urbs in pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.