Symbolism of Jacob Kurtz's playing time

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Let me preface this post by saying that I am NOT bashing Kurtz's performance. For his athletic background, he has played admirably, and he has exceeded all expectations. At first, his "story" was great, and it was cool to see a white dorky walk-on playing with our top recruits. Now, it is time for the scholarship players to prove their worth through scoring and defense.
Here's my question - with a near-healthy lineup, why is Kurtz still playing quality minutes? It is sad that Walker, Horford, or Murphy sit on the bench at the end of the game while a low-skilled player gets more trust from Billy D.
I am NOT blaming Kurtz for our poor performance this season, but it boggles me to still see him playing when our team is now basically healthy.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Maybe something to do with work ethic in practice? Teachability? I don't know.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Vulcan Alex from West Tennessee.

I believe that Jacob gets his minutes because he is more skilled in doing what coach wants than many of the alternatives. Now his potential is probably being used almost 100% but that is better than say 50% of the potential of the alternatives.

As some of the transfers work and position themselves as well as he his time will be reduced.

Just my view from in front of a TV.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
VulcanAlex;n158085 said:
Vulcan Alex from West Tennessee.

I believe that Jacob gets his minutes because he is more skilled in doing what coach wants than many of the alternatives. Now his potential is probably being used almost 100% but that is better than say 50% of the potential of the alternatives.

What the Vulcan said is extremely logical.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me that he's one of the few actually contributing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The reason Kurtz is getting so much PT is that he's playing so much better than the other ones. You don't give PT based on potential. You give PT based on production. Potential only matters in recruiting.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard BD say something about Kurtz's understanding of how the offense works - especially regarding spacing. Kurtz just gets it and knows how to help space the floor which allows the offense to flow better and allows teammates to be more productive offensively. I wish the production of other players outweighed Kurtz's contributions and made our team better, but apparently:sadnanner: right now they don't.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n158729 said:
I heard BD say something about Kurtz's understanding of how the offense works - especially regarding spacing. Kurtz just gets it and knows how to help space the floor which allows the offense to flow better and allows teammates to be more productive offensively. I wish the production of other players outweighed Kurtz's contributions and made our team better, but apparently:sadnanner: right now they don't.

Well I bet he is the only engineering student on the team so he should understand everything better than others. He also plays hard when he is in there which I bet some others take plays off or don't do what is required.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
LeeForThree;n158754 said:
Kurtz should be playing no more than 10 min a game at this point.

If things were going well I would expect him to play only when the game was in the bag. Things are not going well and part of the reason is that he is earning his time. I bet he would be OK with that as it would mean a lot more wins and another run in the NCAA.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
EuroGator;n158729 said:

I know floor spacing. Maybe I should give the NBA a shot.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Great answers. I want Kurtz to take a three so bad. He has to be better that most of them.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n159485 said:
Great answers. I want Kurtz to take a three so bad. He has to be better that most of them.

One of the reasons that he gets to play is that he plays within his capability, which means unless the game is well in hand you won't see him taking a three, and probably not then either. It is not part of his game if it was we would be seeing it plenty now.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n159488 said:
One of the reasons that he gets to play is that he plays within his capability, which means unless the game is well in hand you won't see him taking a three, and probably not then either. It is not part of his game if it was we would be seeing it plenty now.

Not having guards that are a threat to make 3s is what is killing us the most according to the so called experts. They were showing how teams were ignoring Hill as a long range threat and how they were able to focus on the guys we had that can score some. It is killing us besides Walker not developing.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n159495 said:
Not having guards that are a threat to make 3s is what is killing us the most according to the so called experts. They were showing how teams were ignoring Hill as a long range threat and how they were able to focus on the guys we had that can score some. It is killing us besides Walker not developing.

I agree and our usual lack in being able to beat the defense by driving the ball makes that option out. That said having Kurtz shooting threes is not happening if he was a good three point shooter when he was open he would shoot.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's the most unselfish and coachable player on the team, and he's earned his playing time. Other players should follow his example.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n159563 said:
He's the most unselfish and coachable player on the team, and he's earned his playing time. Other players should follow his example.
This^

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps when his time decreases we will know that the team has improved. I was listening to coach briefly and he said that lack at the point and at center is the main issue. They are working but progress is slow or nonexistant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb