Tabor's stock falling....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
After a bad combine, he just had a worse Pro Day:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...teez-tabor-struggles-40-yard-dash-uf-pro-day/

After making headlines for his sluggish 4.63-second 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine, Florida cornerback Jalen ‘Teez’ Tabor had another shot to impress scouts at the Gators Pro Day on Tuesday. Unfortunately for Tabor, his performance in Gainesville may have proved that the combine run was a best-case scenario, not a fluke:

Follow
Nick de la Torre @NickdelaTorreGC

Teez Tabor timed at 4.73, 4.75, 4.77 in the 40 from scouts here in Gainesville. #Gators

11:05 AM - 28 Mar 2017
Follow
Mark Long

✔@APMarkLong

Not making this up, Gators CB Jalen Tabor just ran 4.77 in the 40. Third-rounder?

11:05 AM - 28 Mar 2017
The stopwatches at team pro days are notoriously quick, as both teams and players would stand to benefit from their draftees’ success. Not even the best of conditions could help Tabor, however, as every measurement since that first run at the Combine has clocked in even slower.

Another former Gator cornerback, Joe Haden, also notably struggled with his 40 time at the 2010 Combine, causing pundits to predict him to slide out of the first round. Haden then put those doubts to rest at this same UF pro day event, however, running a 4.47 in Gainesville.

To be fair, Tabor made his name with technique and football IQ, rather than pure athleticism. However, these questionable times already have some wondering if Tabor’s college tape will need to be more thoroughly investigated.

50m
Sam Monson

✔ @PFF_Sam

Florida CB Teez Tabor allowed 2 TDs over the past 3 years. If nothing else, 4.7 40 is going to send teams back to tape to find out how.

Follow
Steve Palazzolo

✔@PFF_Steve

@PFF_Sam He's definitely a gambler/playmaker. Breaks quickly on the ball, and one of those TDs was the ugly double move vs. Tennessee

11:39 AM - 28 Mar 2017
39m
Andrew Olson @ByAndrewOlson
McElwain defended Tabor saying wasn't sure he had been beat "except caught cheating on a double move" https://twitter.com/pff_steve/status/846748520392642560 …

Follow
Steve Palazzolo

✔@PFF_Steve

@ByAndrewOlson I'd agree that he was caught cheating. Happens to nearly every college corner

11:52 AM - 28 Mar 2017
If you don’t remember, Tennessee receiver Jauan Jennings was the player that beat Tabor on the double move referenced above. This offseason, Jennings has been very public regarding his disappointment that Tabor left Florida early for the NFL.

Currently, CBS’ NFLDraftScout.com still has him listed as a second rounder, but that is subject to change in the coming days and weeks leading up to April’s NFL Draft.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen a CB line up in a sprinters stance and sprint... a lot of a 40 time is getting up out of the stance. Somebody will get a steal in Tabor.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen a CB line up in a sprinters stance and sprint... a lot of a 40 time is getting up out of the stance. Somebody will get a steal in Tabor.

Better hide. The Tabor haters will be out in full force.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ahhh, these worthless drills that cause people to fall and climb most of which never translates to the actual game!

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord 4.77?
Not
For
Long
That just will not cut it in the league. Period.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
At least he has his bench press to fall back on and really impress them...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to believe he was that slow as a top CB in college. I doubt you can hide that against the top receivers in the NFL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ahhh, these worthless drills that cause people to fall and climb most of which never translates to the actual game!

That may be true to some degree, but 40 times have cost players plenty of money (by falling in the draft). Remember Larry Kennedy? He was an All-American after having a great freshman year. He never played in the NFL and his 40 time was 4.9. Tabor could turn into an All-Pro, but he cost himself 1st round bonus money in these two draft workouts (the combine & pro day). Huge $$$ difference in 1st vs 2nd or 3rd round bonuses.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Is there any real good corner in the NFL in the past few years with a 40 time slower than 4.60? I know receivers can overcome that if they are really skilled but not sure if you can be a real good NFL CB if you don't get that speed better.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
HOF Tabor......bonus sinking like a lead balloon.......if you want slips, trips, cheats, cramps and beats....he's your boy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At 4.7 in the 40, he loses the ability to play outside corner. You cant' run a 4.7 against outside speed in the NFL. He will make a lot of money as a slot corner, which is where his quickest and size will help him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the fact that he couldn't do a single rep in the bench press hurts him, too. They actually took all the weights off and he only managed benching the bar itself 3 times.

A NFL corner that runs a 4.7 is a cause for concern.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That may be true to some degree, but 40 times have cost players plenty of money (by falling in the draft). Remember Larry Kennedy? He was an All-American after having a great freshman year. He never played in the NFL and his 40 time was 4.9. Tabor could turn into an All-Pro, but he cost himself 1st round bonus money in these two draft workouts (the combine & pro day). Huge $$$ difference in 1st vs 2nd or 3rd round bonuses.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-greats-to-never-play-in-the-nfl-is-extensive

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Some team is gonna get a great bargain on him in the 2nd or 3rd. Honestly I'm shocked that he is running so slow, wonder if he's dinged up or something. Didn't seem that slow when he was playing.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't matter. He's a Gator Great. I know, I heard it here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No way he falls to the third round.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Yet he will still make way more than most and do a job that he loves doing. Seems pretty good to me, but then money is not everything not even close for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.