Telling stats from last night...

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And don't forget Idaho. We lit up the sky against them...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
But the game play looked way different. It looked like we wanted to play and played with a swagger. The other games listed tlwe still had clear problems and just seemed to go through the motions

You hang 60 on someone like those other games and you look good, I promise you. The one thing that I really liked about this game was Mullen sounding at the half and at the end of the game like he understood that his team still has much to work on.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When comparing cupcake blowouts, only fair to gauge how many minutes the full first stringers played. DM pretty much turn down the gas after one half. That gave our O less possession time, less gainful prowess, and gave their O better odds at
accomplishing stuff. But DM got more "look-see" to inspect more D players.

This easy game just opened our investment account with a penny stock. Should be able to build the better major investments going forward with an HC/CEO who recognizes how to develop CFB players. I'm going into game #2 feeling upbeat not thinking "wonder how the wheels are gonna fall off". Here's a toast to us watching our Gators develop fast (& enjoyfully), having a "real" CFB HC/CEO.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for moving the goalposts.

Your original post wast attempting to compare yesterday's performance to 2017. Yes, we looked better yesterday than we did at any point in 2017, but I do not think we played a team as bad as Charleston southern in 2017. You went on to selectively pick worse performances against cupcakes recently and deliberately missed maybe the most pertinent one, Butters' first game.

I get it, we took care of business and things looked good overall yesterday, but a lot of us got burnt twice by our last two dumpster fire hires. Let's blow out UK next week in the Swamp, and beat Tennessee at Neyland (two teams we defeated in 2017, that look probably even worse in 2018).

The real first test IMO is MSU.

I tell you one thing for sure, I did not cringe when our coach was on TV.

Last edited:

Tilly

The bad kid from across the tracks.
Aug 27, 2018
Your original post wast attempting to compare yesterday's performance to 2017. Yes, we looked better yesterday than we did at any point in 2017, but I do not think we played a team as bad as Charleston southern in 2017. You went on to selectively pick worse performances against cupcakes recently and deliberately missed maybe the most pertinent one, Butters' first game.

I get it, we took care of business and things looked good overall yesterday, but a lot of us got burnt twice by our last two dumpster fire hires. Let's blow out UK next week in the Swamp, and beat Tennessee at Neyland (two teams we defeated in 2017, that look probably even worse in 2018).

The real first test IMO is MSU.

I tell you one thing for sure, I did not cringe when our coach was on TV.
I clearly mentioned that there were two games that we blew teams out...but that was not the point. The point was that 80% of the time we struggled in these games. Add to that the fact that we had terrible offensive output in all those games and thatvmakes yesterday a great sign. Why did we not block kicks in most of those games? Why did we play undisciplined in most of those games? Why did we not throw to pur wideouts and use tightends in mpst of those games?

We did all of those things yesterday.

Surely you can see my point. Opponent always matters. It is still a gauge. The gauge was reading very nicely last night in ways that it seldom has in the past 8 years.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
The one thing I was glad to see was getting set with 20–15 sec. left on play clock. Lineman were hustling to the line, WRs were getting set with the red, without being told. I think the players know that if we not waist time Dyckin around we can have more played which gives them a chance to score, and show out. That and three only penalties was awesome to see! That’s showing kids are getting coached on fundamentals along with scheme! We actually looked like an actual football team out there, with pads and everything....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Each down-the-line game will put new requirements on these Gators' development. Now we have the HC to ensure that they advance correctly & with big strides. Can you imagine how great it must be for these kids who grew up believing in this sport, to now have a coach-staff that validates what they wanted to enjoy but McElfake made it all meaningless. Our boys regain some meaning last night.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Jelani Jenkins scooped it up for the score, I believe.

I remember that game very well. My buds and I took our kids to it expecting to blow them out. We started slow, but then seemed to get it together right before half with a scoring drive. My kids were begging to eat a halftime, when the lines were the longest. I told them as soon as the Gators scored another TD we would grab lunch and cotton candy. Gators come out on first drive of second half and drive right down the field, only to stall in the red zone and kick a FG. My kids say let's eat! I, of course say, not a TD, but don't worry, we will be eating soon! Midway through the the 4th quarter and no second half TD's later I realize my kids are not going to get to eat ever again if I make them wait for this team to score another TD. I take them down to eat, and of course, they are out of cotton candy. I am guessing the way the Gators are playing that day they ate it all at halftime. I tell the kids we will stop on the way home and they get to buy what ever candy they want to keep them from losing it. Anyway, under a minute to go and tied, LM has the ball and driving for the win. We stop them and still have timeouts, but don't use them to save any of the clock for our O, just to force them to punt. If it wasn't the last play of regulation, it was damn close when they punt. We block it and Jelani catches it midair before running it back for the win. Awesome finish, except to a team we really favored by 30 over 60 minutes earlier. Oh and I'm sure the kids still have candy left from what I let them buy on the way home that day..Thanks Chump!

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I know it's 1 game but....I put together some compelling stats that this is a new day.

2017: 1 blocked kick all season.
Tonight: 2 blocks.

2017: Only 7 TD's to wideouts.
Tonight: 5 before halftime.

2017 Penalties : 8 per game/123rd rank in country.
Tonight: 3 flags all night.

2017 TD Passes : 10 all season
Tonight: 5 in first half.

2017 Franks: 20 Rushing yards all season 0.3 YPC
Tonight: 38 yards 6.8 YPC

2017 Franks: 9 TD passes all season.
Tonight: 5 in the first half.
-------------
This is only the 3rd time since Urban Meyer that we scored more than 36 vs a cupcake

Some recent Scores by Florida against Cupcakes:

2012 Bowling Green 27-14
2013 Toledo 24-6
2013 Georgia Southern 26-20 (loss)
2015 FAU 20-14 OT
2016 UMass: 24-7
2016 North Texas: 32-0
2017 UAB: 36-7

Excellent post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.