Thad Matta out as Buckeyes coach

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Wow! Didn't see this coming.

college-basketball/story/_/id/19550448/thad-matta-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-13-seasons

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well, when's the last time you heard the words "ohio state" and "basketball" said in the same breath on television or in casual conversation? It's like they disappeared faster than greg "the chameleon" oden's nba career - possibly literally.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He has underachieved for several years. Gotta produce at a big time program or you get shown the door. He'll still collect his $9M buyout, so he's set for life.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
With that kind of money, he can go to a mid-major now and coach as a hobby. lol

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Not sure why their idiot AD Gene Smith would wait 2 months after the postseason ended to fire Matta. I see Billy Donovan is on CBS sports short list(Not that I see it happening).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why their idiot AD Gene Smith would wait 2 months after the postseason ended to fire Matta. I see Billy Donovan is on CBS sports short list(Not that I see it happening).
He said the failures in spring recruiting was what ultimately did him in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He has underachieved for several years. Gotta produce at a big time program or you get shown the door. He'll still collect his $9M buyout, so he's set for life.

He's had two sub-par seasons, actually just one. Other than that, he had them as a top 10-20 program most of his tenure. Billy D had a losing season and two NIT's later in his career. Matta went 17-15 this year and 21-14 last year, he lost to UF in the NCAA finals and made another Final Four. I think this was a bad move by Ohio State. But then again, these types of programs (including us) expect Sweet 16 at a minimum.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Needs to be the first assistant added to pur staff if we lose one.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He can't recruit.
Bull shcit. Just 2 years ago he signed a player who went on to be #2 pick of the draft. He hit a cold spell this year because of a bad season. He has gotten some studs to go to osu for some strange reason.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bull shcit. Just 2 years ago he signed a player who went on to be #2 pick of the draft. He hit a cold spell this year because of a bad season. He has gotten some studs to go to osu for some strange reason.

Exactly. Matta can recruit and he has done a good job at POSU overall.
Why are the expectations at POSU so high? Do they think it is the 50's and Jerry Lucas is still on the roster?

A better question would be how in the he!! does that idiot Gene Smith keep his job? Does he have pictures of Urbs with farm animals or something?

You fire a coach in June which is two months after the annual shuffle has occurred. When asked, you blame poor recruiting to include the loss of some prospects in the spring signing period. So had he gotten a couple of those guys you would have retained him? Seriously? Do you have any idea what you are doing at all?

I hate POSU so this makes me happy but.....it is still really a bad decision by the AD

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I've been reading his health has really declined because of the bad back surgery. They are paying his last three years with no settlement. He's gonna retire. Billy is on their short list. I would freaking riot.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well, when's the last time you heard the words "ohio state" and "basketball" said in the same breath on television or in casual conversation? It's like they disappeared faster than greg "the chameleon" oden's nba career - possibly literally.

True. When since John Havlicek & Jerry Lucas have they been relevant? Clark Kellogg, Greg Odin/Thad Natta and ???

He's a good coach but his time there had passed. Happy he could be a part of their "#2 to the Gators" run.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've been reading his health has really declined because of the bad back surgery. They are paying his last three years with no settlement. He's gonna retire. Billy is on their short list. I would freaking riot.

Wow. That would be something.

Honestly, I still can't believe Billy left. He had a chance to go down as one greatest of all-time, in the same vane as Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith. If he has won one more NC he would have etched his name in stone.....plus he would have gotten to 750 or so wins. If he takes that OSU job I'll riot with you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator