Thad Matta out as Buckeyes coach

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Billy might be back in the college game at some point but I doubt it's soon, he didn't bail on 19 years at a school for a short fling, he'll give it a real go in the NBA.

Also don't see him ending up at a cess pool like OSU, I'm thinking small Big East schools.
I could see him ending his career back at Providence.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
CBB: WHO WILL REPLACE THAD MATTA AT OHIO STATE?

http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/...tta-at-ohio-state/?ttag=SL17_os_247_circ_0910

Tom Crean, +250 (bet $100 to win $250): As outside candidates go, Crean provides the perfect mix of credibility and instant availability. Indiana fired Crean at the end of the season, so there wouldn't be any contractual buyout issues. But the fan base would likely see Crean as a lateral move at best, considering he was widely viewed as an underachiever with the Hoosiers.

Chris Mack, +325: Mack's stock has never been higher; he just led Xavier to an Elite Eight appearance. He would be the latest in a pipeline of Xavier coaches who have moved on to higher-profile programs, including Matta and Arizona coach Sean Miller.

Chris Holtmann, +500: Brad Stevens' successor at Butler is a hot name following a Sweet 16 appearance, and he is believed to be willing to jump ship if a big-conference opportunity comes his way.

Mick Cronin, +750: Many observers see the Ohio State job as a step down for Cronin, who has spent the past several years rebuilding Cincinnati. He has a new arena and locker room, and a team projected in the Top 15.

Buzz Williams, +1,250: It seems unlikely Williams, who was tied to the Oklahoma State opening last year, would leave Virginia Tech, which he just led to an NCAA Tournament berth. He also just signed one of the top recruiting classes in the program's history.

Gregg Marshall, +2,000: Indiana failed in its quest to land Marshall, the most coveted mid-major candidate for high-profile vacancies. Marshall has a hefty contract buyout and apparent loyalty to Wichita State, where he has remained despite several overtures the past few years.

Billy Donovan, +5,000: It's possible the Oklahoma City Thunder coach could someday return to the college game, where he seems a more natural fit. But that time isn't now, and not for the Ohio State job.

Field, -300 (bet $300 to win $100): The field -- all non-listed candidates -- is a -300 favorite. That means you'd need to bet $300 just to win $100. The field includes Warriors assistant Mike Brown, who reportedly met with Ohio State on Thursday.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Tom Crean may be considered damaged goods. He didn't really succeed at another Big 10 school, so would the bucknuts be willing to give him a shot?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Holtmann is a class guy. Loved talking to him when he was at GW, very approachable. I remember we spoke about running a program one time and asked him how much control or knowledge of what is happening with a program a coach has. He point blank told me in hoops, with only 15 players and few coaches and support staff, the HC knows what is happening, no matter the size of the program, that coaches were lying through their teeth if they said otherwise. Good guy.

He'll win there, and he's tough enough to not let crook Leyer rub off on him.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Holtmann is a class guy. Loved talking to him when he was at GW, very approachable. I remember we spoke about running a program one time and asked him how much control or knowledge of what is happening with a program a coach has. He point blank told me in hoops, with only 15 players and few coaches and support staff, the HC knows what is happening, no matter the size of the program, that coaches were lying through their teeth if they said otherwise. Good guy.

He'll win there, and he's tough enough to not let crook Leyer rub off on him.

But, but, but... calepari said he didn't know what his assistant coaches were up to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.