Thank You, Coach Spurrier...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I loved the Mac interview before the Spurrier presser. Loved the fact that he would have an extra chair for SOS in the office. Let SOS move to Crescent Beach, and make the 90 minute drive once a week over to UF to break down film?

Nah, pipe dream.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It's time to name Florida field, Steve Spurrier Field.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
PaulDrake;n297070 said:
Sometimes listening to pundits who were former Gators is enough to make your blood boil [see Jesse Palmer]. But today Frank Frangie had a lucid moment and explianed the unexplainable to some with this: SOS watched UF get bullied and disrespected from the moment he left campus to head for the 49ers. He watched as the other SEC members kicked us around, especially when they worked overtime to take our SEC championship away from us in the mid 80's [see UT and UGA - especially VDooley]. We were a laughing stock for 57 straight years as members of the SEC. He came in and not only made us a great team and a top five school for coaches, but an entity to be reckoned with. Then he did what they [SEC] did to us: he made THEM the laughing stock. He couldn't score enough points against our rivals [see UT & UGA]. They came to fear us and what he did was not just win. It was retribution for 57 years of bull***t. Frangie crystialized it very nicely and I just nodded listening to him. THAT is why he is beloved by Gators. Frangie crstyallized that very nicely. He went on to say in no uncerteain words that stadium needs to be renamed Spurrier Stadium and I agree whole heartedly. I know there are those that hate Meyer with every fiber of their being but when he made Richt pay at the end of the game with those TO's for that disrespect the previous year with that on field team celebration over their opening TD I saw immediately he got it. He understood. That bush move Richt pulled smelled of those 57 years. It reeked with it. Richt could only stand and take the retribution that is still owed, to not only UGA but every other SEC team, for the way we were treated. No matter what Meyer may have done in the eyes of those that hate him he forever earned my admiration for that, the two NC's and Tim Tebow.

Go Gators.
THis and more........................UF class of 1978 and 1984

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I participated in the Florida Gator Football Camp every year from 85-92 (week long over the summer). It was mostly run by the weight staff with some of the position coaches involved. You would get a photo with you and the Head Coach, and he would give a speech early in the week. When Galen Hall was the head coach, that and the end of the week would be the only times you would see him. Spurrier would be there for a few days of the week and enjoyed working with the different offense drills. He would tell stories every now and then, and would crack jokes about the rival teams. You got to see the side of him that was a lot of fun, especially when a kid would throw a duck in qb drills. He loves to teach the game, it didn't matter if the person was a 20 athlete, or a 7 year old kid.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
AlexDaGator;n297324 said:
Boy, it's a small GatorNation. I had a class with Jeff Mitchell's girlfriend Christine back in 1993. Super sweet girl. Long, chestnut hair. Her face lit up when she talked about him. He wasn't a star at the time (not until they moved him from guard to center). Pretty sure they got married later.

Alex.
Good story. I thought you were older. Was that grad school? I had a class with Dock Luckie. Tells you how far I go back.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n297388 said:
Good story. I thought you were older. Was that grad school? I had a class with Dock Luckie. Tells you how far I go back.

Dock Luckie was our schools resource officer. Some of the football players (including some now former gators) challenged him to a lifting contest, and he crushed them all.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You know it occurs to me that next year, 2016, is the 50th anniversary of SOS' Heisman Trophy winning season.

Wouldn't it be nice to do something special in the Swamp for the occasion?

(It's also the 20th Anniversary of Wuerffel's Heisman and the 1996 National Championship team that Spurrier coached, and the 10th Anniversary of the 2006 National Championship)

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n297054 said:
[youtube]qyb-4NPGmYA[/youtube]

Can't see it on my computer but I watched it on my phone yesterday. Great video! Love seeing the fans wearing ties to the games, sitting on folding chairs in the endzone, etc. You can really hear the accent in Spurrier's voice when he was younger. And I've got nothing to say about the routes the WR is running with his hands flopping everywhere!

Somebody needs to send it to Jerri. I'm sure she'd get a kick out of it!

Alex.

gator lester

Sep 13, 2015
AlexDaGator;n297513 said:
You know it occurs to me that next year, 2016, is the 50th anniversary of SOS' Heisman Trophy winning season.

Wouldn't it be nice to do something special in the Swamp for the occasion?

(It's also the 20th Anniversary of Wuerffel's Heisman and the 1996 National Championship team that Spurrier coached, and the 10th Anniversary of the 2006 National Championship)

Alex.

yes do something for all of them, he can come now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.