The 2017 state of the board discussion thread

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And if it wasn't for Brad, that board would have never shut down.
I think we know where the real credit goes :grin:
giphy.gif

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This message board isn't really intended for the every now and then casual reader/ non-poster type either. But what the heck. Hey Ox, you should change up the format/content/presentation of the board so it caters to the people who seldom come here. That's a winning formula right there. :lol:

Har har har. So clever.

...except
  1. Ox asked.
  2. Some of the posters who seldom come here might come here more if some [let's not name names] were a bit more welcoming. If you want to bust balls, do it with the regulars.
  3. Ox asked.
  4. Ox asked multiple times.
  5. These 'seldom visitors' are posting very thoughtful and insightful observations and opinions, even if they do step on toes.
  6. Ox asked.

Jun 2, 2015
Had a long-time member PM me today and tell me to delete his account because he couldn't handle the negativity anymore. Have also had a few people making similar claims. A few members have left here and there over the last year for similar reasons.

I of course hate to lose members. However, this board has always been shaped after my own view of how I think fan message boards should be, and that's a place to express yourself. To be a fan and vent. We have pumpers, we have negators, but we all share the same love for Florida. Personally, I DESPISE other boards that shut down negativity and force you to toe a certain line. It's always seem so Nazi-ish to me.

Reply:
Ox, as an outsider and guest on this board, I really like this board for the exact reason you stated in that you are quite liberal in permitting all posts whether negative or not. A message board is simply a place to express opinions and to vent. Everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of it being silly, ridiculous, negative, etc., but should not be taken so seriously that it upsets and annoys you. Some people are simply more sensitive than others and you will never be able to please everyone. Regardless, this is one of the better college football boards.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
hmm, I see another ray of sunshine chimed in from the lurker abyss :cool:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Allow me to preface my post with a quick background of myself. I did NOT attend the University of Florida. My family moved to Atlanta well before I was born, and the Hope Scholarship was too much to pass on. I have been attending UF sporting events for as long as I can remember (elementary school) and my father and I have been football season ticket holders since 2005. We make the round trip drive from Atlanta to Gainesville for most home games, typically in a single day. We frequently hit a road game per season, and try to catch Gator Basketball and Baseball in Athens. I guess you could say I'm more than the bandwagon or casual fan.

As a long time lurker on a few messages board going all the way back to several versions of the Sun's GSMB, I'll give you my honest feedback, which isn't all negative.

I spend a few minutes a day browsing the main board. I don't dare wander into the political or lounge boards for the following reason. I'm here for Gator Sports info, which is basically why you're here too. I use Gator Chatter, Swamp Gas, and Twitter to keep tabs on the latest info, and you guys do as good a job as anyone at providing me with the latest news and "inside" info.

I appreciate that you seem to have kept the likes of Alvin York, Lawrence of Florida/Canething, Catmania, etc from this board. Those gimmicks are the reason I only hit GSMB once/month or so. They destroyed that forum.

Having said all of that, I frequently bail on a thread after the first page. By then the topic of discussion typically devolves to inside jokes and personal attacks, and I don't have time for that. I can only imagine what the political and lounge boards are like. The exception to this rule is on-going events, like NSD or the like.

I get that a lot of folks spend quite a bit of time here and you develop friendships and rivalries, that's to be expected on a social forum like this. But personally attacking someone because he or she thinks Coach Spurrier/Zook/Meyer/Mac can/can't get the job done is a real turn off to the casual reader.

I hope this helps.

Jonesie

Edits for typos.

Well said. Welcome. Stick around. It should be an interesting year. We get to finally find out what we have for coaching and recruiting.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I always find it amusing that the ones that complain the most about the PF, are the ones that never go in there. Go figure :lol:

At times, there is often more reasonable conversation held in the PF than on the sports board, albeit about completely different topics of course. Not to say it doesn't stray off course as the sports forum does, because at times it does, but it's mostly light hearted, and since the group is smaller in there, it tends not to bother as many.

To each their own though, ain't no skin off my back :thumbup:

Do you really want another gun toting, BOB ready, piss on liberal progressives bounty hunter like me in the room?... :grin:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You've clearly never been a member of any kind of memebr-based organization: a Fraternity, a country club, etc. New members are the life blood of these types of organizations. Internet forums included. Your attempt at a sarcastic response is a prime example. Please, feel free to be exclusive, insider, and private,and watch Gator Chatter die a slow, painful, boring death. If you want to see the future of Gator Chatter, go see the GSMB. That's what's going to happen.
lighten up francis.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Har har har. So clever.

...except
  1. Ox asked.
  2. Some of the posters who seldom come here might come here more if some [let's not name names] were a bit more welcoming. If you want to bust balls, do it with the regulars.
  3. Ox asked.
  4. Ox asked multiple times.
  5. These 'seldom visitors' are posting very thoughtful and insightful observations and opinions, even if they do step on toes.
  6. Ox asked.
yawn

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Screw what Ox wants, or what any of you want, let's talk about what I want. I want a more active board without changing the rules. I want less of the repetitive posters that say the same damn thing over and over and over again. Pumpers or dumpers (but I think we know those are all dumpers). Every post should be clever, informative or funny. If not it should include titties.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just here for the free pretzels & chips....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm not trying to radically change anything around here. I don't have the influence, and I don't want it. Just s little food for thought. If observation is "this is only a place for those that have the time to post thousands of posts and inside jokes" attacking it and saying that I need to find that time isn't really constructive.
If you're not here to have fun then well,........we didn't want you anyway;)
It just takes a while to "learn" this place. We all basically come here for the same reason and if some of the content bothers you just skim over it and remember the ignore button if someone really bothers you that much. Remember we're all UF fans but we're all individuals also. I'm not sure about you but I'd rather be part of a board that is defined by it's members than a member defined by a board....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Screw what Ox wants, or what any of you want, let's talk about what I want. I want a more active board without changing the rules. I want less of the repetitive posters that say the same damn thing over and over and over again. Pumpers or dumpers (but I think we know those are all dumpers). Every post should be clever, informative or funny. If not it should include titties.

Have you noticed that you are getting pretty repetitive yourself complaining about the same thing over and over and over? Just sayin'

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's impossible to have a board of hundreds of members without a slew of low lives or trolls. There are some great posters here like so fla and Alex to name a few . There are also trolls disguising themselves as gators like Omar, and an ape in a cape that enjoys wishing cancer on other posters. You have to take the good with the bad, and for the most part this place is a great way to get information on our gators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.