The arc of history

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ancient Reptile, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,648
    Ratings:
    +5,678 / -104
    Well recorded history used to be on the winner's side for the most part until the left became so crazed recently.

2. Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,504
    Ratings:
    +6,969 / -17
    Another phrase that you hear liberals spit out a lot these days and that ticks me off is "my truth" as in the sentence "Let me tell my truth." It is an arrogant statement. It is another way of the speaker saying that he doesn't care what the actual truth is; it is true if I want to believe it is true. It doesn't matter if something is really true and based on actual facts. It only matters if it fits my political agenda or my liberal social construct.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,301
      Ratings:
      +12,348 / -48
      I'm sorry, but I disagree. It seems to me that Coach wants it both ways. He can throw out as many liberal talking points as the best of them and faithfully cheer on his fellow lefty posters but gets defensive when you even attempt to scratch a little below the surface by asking probing questions. Most times all you get back are straw men and hyperbole with a little folksy story thrown in. Then an admonishment for being "angry" and to "lighten up". That's fine for him if he thinks it accomplishes something but I never can take it too seriously.

I consider an honest discussion to require honesty from BOTH sides. If you make a statement or call someone else out then be prepared and honest enough to back it up or don't bother to engage at all.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $632
        Ratings:
        +6,502 / -404
        Im a liar. It is plain for all to see. Probing questions? If I wanta be probed I go to my GP for the physical I need to schedule now. The way I see it is we have posters like Law who dont take this place so seriously and others who are so anal you had better cross every T and dot every i. You better have it all down to the last detail in semantics and historically. I fall closer to law in that respect. If I want hyperbole I just turn on the news or go read the last tweet. Im an amateur in that respect. As for defensive, You have to have an armor here if you think a little different like me or Sas and dare to comment in that manner.

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,301
        Ratings:
        +12,348 / -48
        Saying that your were called a "liar" would fall under that whole straw man thing I was talking about. Honest discussion means people having a discussion without distractions constantly being thrown in attempts to change the subject or distract from the subject when you don't feel you have a good argument other than that's how you feel.

I honestly don't care if you don't want to be serious all the time. I think it's quite evident from years of history and ridiculous and goofy posts that I'm certainly not serious all the time. But if you wade into a serious discussion and make a serious statement and take a position then I don't think it's honest to all of the sudden claim that you're not serious and the other person is either angry or should chill out. Again, you can't have it both ways. And Sas is as aggressive as anyone on this board. I really don't think he is put upon by anyone and can dish it out with the best of them.

Whatever. You be you and I'll be me.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $632
        Ratings:
        +6,502 / -404
        damn I just lost it all with stupd azzz chrome book keyboard. Here I go again. You said you wanted an honest discussion but obviously were not getting it. IF that doesnt imply im dishonest then wtf does. And I didn't type that the first time. All I typed was I loved your old Woody Allen movie reference. It was perfect. Be careful or you may appear more like me than you want to let on. ;)

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,301
        Ratings:
        +12,348 / -48
        In my experience when people talk about having an honest discussion they mean one void of evasiveness. But if you prefer, insert the words "frank discussion" instead.

#47 divits, Oct 11, 2018 at 4:20 PM
        Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM