The basketball thread

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Basketball is a simple game. Do the little things right, get the results you want. I read Sas' comment about a change in trajectory after Vandy and so I revisited the stats before and after. It's telling in two team areas, rebounding and assists. We're now killing teams in both those areas.

When you rebound well, you prevent second-chance opportunities and create them, often up close. Cha-ching. When you distribute the ball well, you create better percentage shots. Cha-ching.

We'll get more mileage out of last night than many of you realize. First thing I noticed when I turned on the game, the dramatically changed appearance of the O'Dome. It now looks like a real big-time basketball arena instead of a makeshift bleacher facility. A nationally televised 22-point win over Kentucky in that environment is going to excite recruits about wanting to come play for Coach White.

Good things beget good things.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Cheatapari always has landed top 3 recruiting classes since he arrived at KY jelly, yet has only produced 1 national title. He caught lightning in a bottle when half his class decided to stay another season due to the NBA lockout in 2012.
He also had Anthony Davis.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:bananadance: Sorry, leftovers from last night...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
White has improved and junked his awful press that did not work at this level to more man press and other combo presses. This is really the same learning curve of what will work at this level that Donovan went through. It took Donovan a bit longer as I remember, but then again Donovan did not inherit the top shelf talent that White did.

As I said on the game thread UF has more talent than UK this year. Lottery pick or not, a 6'3" guy is going to have trouble on the boards with Robinson who is 5" taller and can jump better. I hope these guys stay serious and focused and win at UGa this week and later when they go to UK.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Watch Cal in the background after every made basket by our guys in the first half. What an immature sack of sh*t.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Watch Cal in the background after every made basket by our guys in the first half. What an immature sack of sh*t.

2nd time watching that and it keeps getting better! Love watching the joy our guys show on the bench for each other.

Hilarious watching Cal whine after every basket. Feel like he is the Swamp Donkey of basketball coaches :lol:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we beat a struggling team and some of you act like we are world champions. I'll enjoy the win over a Storied Program but i'll wait until we win a Championship to :couch:

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SOS was enjoying himself last night.

giphy.gif

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It does not hurt when a foolish KY player called out our team before the game. Now basketball is made up of some simple things, but putting them together in the correct way can be very complex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's no questioning that Kentucky has been struggling of late, but that doesn't take away from the fact that our guys have bought into White's philosophy and are on the rise. It's a process. Enjoy the ride.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That was a claw & scratch win, done in never before fashion - the scratch team beat the "on highs"
by 20+ points, even without Stone, a solid bench Gator hero. Perhaps our guys have put an end to
their unwelcome backsliding by having that "I got my eyes on you meeting" just between the players.
Teammates get through to teammates more emotionally - band of brothers.

White could hit a vein of gold by giving Hester experience with the "go ahead" to freely fire up threes =
[white licensing to quench our 3-point thirst.] If that investment gave us resource to a 3 of 4 3-pt% shooter,
think how opposing defenses could not over guard K.Allen. IMO the added shooting balance if Hester works
will perfectly elevate the offensive play of Barry, Hill, D.Rob even giving Hayes & Egbunu just the "untight"
crowding to have that split-second delay-time to take it to the hole. Slam-bam! = we have inside beasts that
can't be denied. {This inside overpowering advancement is a must need. And we have never had it at all.}
I bet those teams with tourney staying power will get 18-26 points from their inside combo men. ?? Gators
are getting 14 from Egbunu & Hayes.

Whatever was running through our veins against UK, it flowed within everybody and it was an "in-your-face"
attitude. Hope they lock in on that determination and grow more of it into the scoring area, the inside area.

All that should be the key to making the Final Four &/or beyond. Pray anyway that all us watchers get to continue
to "fill'er up with Gator love. Beat 'em one team at a time Gators.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And so after making UK our bytch...we only move up to #21, and UK only moves down to #15? We are #12 in the RPI

There are 5 teams with records the same or worse than us (including 17-7 Notre Dame) and we've won our last 4 by an average of 32 points!

WTF?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
And so after making UK our bytch...we only move up to #21, and UK only moves down to #15? We are #12 in the RPI

There are 5 teams with records the same or worse than us (including 17-7 Notre Dame) and we've won our last 4 by an average of 32 points!

WTF?

Well UF is 7th in kenpom:

http://kenpom.com/

and 9th in Sagarin:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/

where things like how you have done all year and margin of victory matter.

Polls are typical winning streak dominated and RPI ignores margin of victory and is famously a terrible metric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator