The 'Best of' Butters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was fine with those offenses, but they certainly aren't what the Donkey would call "high flying". Nothing that involves the option would fit that bill.

Part of me is surprised he hasn't left to join the Big 12 boards.
No, Spurrier broke the mold re the pass and no one has approached it in terms of effectiveness since.

The odd thing about SOS' teams is they weren't consistently great at coming from behind.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Part of me is surprised he hasn't left to join the Big 12 boards.
Those are all Mumme offenses. Sideways passing. Not a chance.

Clemson or WVU (still Mumme-ish but more vertical) maybe. Crete says can catch a ride with him to go watch Grier.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yup. I always imagine what it was like when Foley sat down across from him in the initial interview and how in the hell he came away thinking, "That's my guy!".

I always wonder how it was from Mac's side....he had to be creaming in his pants to even have the conversation.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
It's over. All that matters is It's Over. Mac has been catapulted over the FLA line. A trained monkey would be an improvement. I'm hoping for real gains in the quality of Mullin's Gator football - and quickly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The odd thing about SOS' teams is they weren't consistently great at coming from behind.
Zook, Pruett, Stoops and Hoke. Three of those DCs didnt even approach semicompetent. We couldnt come from behind bc we couldnt stop some teams from scoring. Wasnt it 2001 Tinerc when we didnt stop them once in the whole damn game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's over. All that matters is It's Over. Mac has been catapulted over the FLA line. A trained monkey would be an improvement. I'm hoping for real gains in the quality of Mullin's Gator football - and quickly.
I swear Boss on coke or Rog on laughing gas would have been better than Nord.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zook, Pruett, Stoops and Hoke. Three of those DCs didnt even approach semicompetent. We couldnt come from behind bc we couldnt stop some teams from scoring. Wasnt it 2001 Tinerc when we didnt stop them once in the whole damn game?

Yes. I can still see mental images of Todd Johnson and Gus Scott trying to tackle Travis Stephens “high” and just completely failing, while Gillespie racked up 7 yards on 25 carries. Frustrating close to a frustrating season. Hoke was terrible.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Alex, my final Jeopardy answer is "What is the second shortest book in the Library of Congress, just after 'What Men Understand About Women?'"

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No argument that Stoops stood out head and shoulders above the rest, but I think it goes even beyond that.

Spurrier's was a system offense that thrived on balance, on keeping opposing defenses guessing whether he would run on running downs and vice versa. Spurrier was a master, esp early in his career here, at doing just the opposite of what you expected in game situations. We all know that.

And, of course, he was just as famous for stepping on opponents' throats early. How many of our games, including UT in front of 103k shocked Knoxville fans in '96, were essentially over by halftime?

Spurrier was as aggressive of a play caller as I have ever seen.

When we fell behind, we lost that element of surprise. Defenses could stunt and stack more knowing what was coming. That Spurrier quarterbacks were more system quarterbacks than playmakers, and generally unable to evade or run away from the rush, didn't make it any easier to overcome the obstacles.

I always wondered how good Steve's offense could have been with a true playmaker taking the snaps, and yet I knew. Not as good. What made his offense vulnerable at coming from behind made it equally vaunted from the opening kick.

The key was getting a jump on the opponent and, as you correctly pointed out, not letting the opponent jump on you through defensive mistakes.

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Poor coaching aside, has there ever been a bigger dufus roaming the sidelines of a major program? I can't think of any, and certainly not at UF. Even during the few somewhat positive periods, I cringed every time we had to hear him speak. About anything. Mushcamp was bad, but JM will absolutely be Foley's legacy.
Bob Davie & Larry Coker were Butter's level dufuses.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Even when Butters won it felt like a loss. We sucked so bad it was unwatchable and it was complete luck when we won. I am so glad he is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.