The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am not advocating for anyone in particular, but I think of all the teams that have switched or joined conferences in the formation of the Power 5, than Nebraska's football program has suffered the most. When they were in the Big 8 or Big 12, Texas was a huge recruiting base. you could say to a recruit that we are playing UT, TTech, TCU, A&M, Houston, Baylor SMU, Okie, Okie St. or most of the these teams (depending on history ) every year. That is a decent lineup. Now you say to a recruit we are in the Big 10 but not assured of playing OSU, MICH, MSU, Penn St. possibly in any given year. You have Wisc., Minny, Iowa, Illinois, NW, etc. etc. every year. a lot of recruits will look and probably quote my good friend Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys I'm goin home" or "Suck my balls", b/c the schedule is horrendous.
I don't watch a lot of other college football besides Florida anymore but will keep games on in the background on Saturdays and for the life of me I don't remember ever seeing Nebraska on...anywhere. Other than Big 10 network are they even good enough to draw national games anymore? I don't believe so...

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is that there is literallly NOTHING to do with the Shannon. What are you going to do? Play zone w 6-7 in the box to protect the LBs and safeties who are weak in coverage? Or put an extra guy or two in the box to protect the weak DL vs the run and leave the dbs and lbs (eek!) in man to man?

Either one guts your throat cut w this defense.

Is there talent? Sure, but the talented Dbs are freshmen. Same at DT. DE? They are great for pass rush, bit we have 8 weakside DEs and no run stuffers who set the edge.

LB....well, maybe we can recruit better in the future.

Is Shannon great? no he is an average old school 4-3 zone DC.

But he sure as hell isnt the problem on D.
Yeah but he is the one that seems to love to go after those 200 lb 2* LB for no other reason than they are from S. Florida. We have enough Randy specials on this D. Time to get big and fast.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Crunch! Haven't seen you in literally 3 years. Awesome to see so many members come out of the woodwork.
Well, I have been checking in every now and then but rarely feel like I have anything of value to add so I just keep things low profile. My daughter is now a senior @ UF and my son is a junior @ UCF so Scott Frost to UF has been a very hot topic in my house since Sunday. I can tell you this, my son has a very close friend that works with the training staff for UCF and there is not a person in the building that does not love Scott Frost and the only people who love him more are his players. One of the WR and DB's on the team are very close to my family and both had offer to more prominent P5 schools but decided to stay close to home and play for the "next great college football mind" and someone that could get them ready for the pro's. Now imagine that "great college football mind" with the resources of UF which also allows these kids to stay home, play in the SEC, and have a shot at an SEC Championship (the real NC as far as I am concerned) and get into the playoff. I am willing to bet that NOBODY outside of Gator Nation wants that combination or it is party over for all those that have been kicking us around for the last 7 years. While it would kill me to see him leave UCF where I have watched every home game in person since he got there, I would be even more overjoyed to see him restore the shine to my alma mater and bring it back to its previous glory. Well, that's all I got but you can bet my son and daughter will be a real hoot going at one another around the thanksgiving table if this isn't resolved by then.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks Char...............now I have a theme song.........Got that nick name for the many hours, days , months, I spent diving the local rivers.
Still trying to figure out how this site works, a little different than Mudlizzard.I'll get there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am not advocating for anyone in particular, but I think of all the teams that have switched or joined conferences in the formation of the Power 5, than Nebraska's football program has suffered the most. When they were in the Big 8 or Big 12, Texas was a huge recruiting base. you could say to a recruit that we are playing UT, TTech, TCU, A&M, Houston, Baylor SMU, Okie, Okie St. or most of the these teams (depending on history ) every year. That is a decent lineup. Now you say to a recruit we are in the Big 10 but not assured of playing OSU, MICH, MSU, Penn St. possibly in any given year. You have Wisc., Minny, Iowa, Illinois, NW, etc. etc. every year. a lot of recruits will look and probably quote my good friend Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys I'm goin home" or "Suck my balls", b/c the schedule is horrendous.

Sounds like you're advocating for someone not to take the Nebraska job.....hmmmmm. Yeah, you're not advocating for anyone!! :D

I agree w/ you on Nebraska. It was a terrible move. They thought they'd give Texas and Oklahoma the "we'll show you", now they're an also-ran in that conference (B10). Then they bring in Mike Riley, a terrible hire. If they're going to make a move on Frost they better get w/ the program. Otherwise he's going to have a lot of other offers to contemplate. If he stays at UCF (turning UF down) and Nebraska doesn't fire Riley, we'll know what's up. I think he takes the UF job...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but he is the one that seems to love to go after those 200 lb 2* LB for no other reason than they are from S. Florida. We have enough Randy specials on this D. Time to get big and fast.
No we WENT after the 4 star and 5 star LBs that went to and Meatckikin (Bush and Mbe Bosse) Bammer (Ben Davis, Mack Wilson, Christian Miller, Rashaan Evans, Adonis Thomas) and didn't look for backups bc we though Butters' great smile was going to land all of them. Zach assured me we were leading.

Then we panicked and grabbed the leftovers.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No we WENT after the 4 star and 5 star LBs that went to Bammer and Meatckikin than looked for backups bc we though Butters' great smile was going to land all 4 of them (Zach assured me we were getting them) and grabbed the leftovers.
like mack Wilson who had us as his "leader"

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
No we WENT after the 4 star and 5 star LBs that went to Bammer and Meatckikin than looked for backups bc we though Butters' great smile was going to land all 4 of them (Zach assured me we were getting them) and grabbed the leftovers.

Guess that will teach you not to trust Crucial!!!!!!!:)

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It is hard to find a reason not to want Frost.
He is the exact opposite of Mac. Mac bores
the players and he excites them. If you watch his videos it is easy to see how contagious he is. After turning UCF around he will have the ability to recruit better. I am hoping Stricklin is not trying to get him at a bargain price. Someone will step up and sign him. If that happens, we’ll be sucking hind tit with the rest of the search.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It is hard to find a reason not to want Frost.
He is the exact opposite of Mac. Mac bores
the players and he excites them. If you watch his videos it is easy to see how contagious he is. After turning UCF around he will have the ability to recruit better. I am hoping Stricklin is not trying to get him at a bargain price. Someone will step up and sign him. If that happens, we’ll be sucking hind tit with the rest of the search.

I agree but incentives are the way to pay him a superior salary. Say a base of 3.5 - 4 million, with incentives for various things including keeping players out of trouble and eligible academically. Wins over significant teams as well.

He also needs a good budget for assistants, recruiting, and staff.

Getting the improvements done and really anything he thinks he needs is essential. Open communications, not arrogant whining.

He sounds perfect, we probably can do something with his agent, but he won't be talked to until the end of the regular season.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The offense needed to carry the D this year, much like they did in 2007. The O blows. The D has done very well considering. When they grow up they'll be tenacious (assuming they get through this season without major injuries).

Agreed. I saw some good things from the young DBs Stewart (#2) and Stiner (#13) in the UGA game that I was impressed with. There’s some young talent on D. Too bad we’re likely losing Houston and Miller at LB due the CC thing.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@JeffBarlis: UCF-SMU on Saturday in prime time. Scott Frost vs. Chad Morris. Auditions anyone? I predict higher than normal ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.